Originally Posted by justanothermama
I know it's just a matter of time before some one asks if I've scheduled my C/S date yet. For now I can just tell them no. But what will I say when I'm 41 weeks and they ask??
Hmmm, sounds like it's time to learn your real EDD. I think maybe you're about 4 weeks off, huh? Then, your baby can just come early!!!
Hey, Persephone, welcome to the club.
Your decision is a great one, ya know!
A lot of moms have to go through technical hospital births the first time to see that that's not what they want. I'm glad you are so well educated and aware of what you want at first baby.
Just to give you other options -- it's not all or nothing right now. You know you don't need to choose either, right? There is no harm in giving yourself more time to decide. Here are just some other options that have worked for other women:
- Decide to wait to see if you need a MW prenatally. Post on the numerous resources for UC if you have a question, if you feel you need more info, then call the MW.
- Ask the MW to back up your UC. Put $ in a (oh, what's it called account thingie where money goes) to reserve her. If you end up needing her she knows she has $ to be paid to her. If you don't need her, you just take the $ out of this special accnt. Or maybe she'll be your back up without the accnt thingie.
- Wait a little while. Research some more. Listen to your heart. Listen to your baby. Read some first time parent UC stories. (I'm big into birth stories can you tell, they just seem so empowering and help to visualize what other's experiences were)
- Ask the MW for a discount to just cover X amt of Prenatals and then the well-baby check after birth. With the option to call her for the labor for additional money.
- Hire the MW but be very very clear with her what you're looking for. Do you want her to stay out of the room unless invited in. Do you want her to hang out in the hallway? Do you want her in your view? What do you see her role as? Just gopher and cleaning up? Support your perenium while sitting between your legs? Give instructions? Etc?
I only say this last one out of experience. I wanted a UC with my second birth but was not very clear with anyone IRL about what I specifically wanted from them. I just wnated to have the baby before anyone got there. Then, when I pushed for much longer than I thought I would, I was too far into labor to request what I needed... EVERYONE LEAVE!!!