or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › How do you dress your kids?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do you dress your kids? - Page 6

post #101 of 130
I'm in the middle too, I guess. DD wears mostly dresses, because I think they are cute, but 95% of the clothes she owns were handed down from someone else or are from resale shops. She doesn't have enough hair for the bows, etc., but if she did I probably wouldn't remember to put them in very often. So I guess i want her to look as cute as possible with minimal effort!
post #102 of 130
well, I guess we're a pack of ratbags at our house! :LOL

What they wear to school isn't really an issue as they have uniforms, but any other time they pretty much dress themselves. I will tell them if I think that something doesn't particularly go together, but I kinda have a hard time recognising that when I dress myself, so who am I to judge, really.

I do ask them to put on a clean shirt sometimes if we're going out & the one they are wearing is particularly filthy. And I have been known to wipe really large Vegemite smears off their face with spit & a hanky before we leave the car. : (blame my mother, she did this too).

But in general, I don't mind what they wear as long as they don't mind what I wear.
post #103 of 130
I love to dress my two boys (ages 4 and 2) alike or at least coordinating... But it can get so costly--I shop a lot of sales, ebay, and etc. for their clothing... I wish I had as much as they do! LOL... It is just so much more fun to look in the kid section! My 2 yr old is beginning to be a "Spiderman" freak (where he gets it, I don't know!) and my 4 yr old is more into comfort clothes (i.e., no tags, soft, and very worn) and that is pretty much invariably what they wear at home.

They get lots of compliments (not why I do it!)... I just like them to look neatly groomed. Sandals, most of the time, and boots. I don't think that it looks neglectful to not have well-dressed children, but I DO find that most people you meet in public will treat you differently according to your demeanor and dress. Sad but true. Because my children already aren't in "preschool" and fitting the norm, I like to look as presentable as possible!
post #104 of 130
If it were up to me, DD would probably end up like me: hair not really 'done', clothes clean and casual. However, DH cares more about his appearance, so I try to put DD in something decent. If I know we are going out, I make an effort to find something especially cute and I try to do her hair. Not always successful on that one.
post #105 of 130
My son usually matches. Usually because i buy him just plain blue jeans or khakis and just about anythign matches them. He sometimes wears socks but has started rippign them off his feed (he's 1 1/2 what can i say?) so usually its just shorts and sandles and a cute t-shirt.

His hair doesn't get brushed as often as i'd like and its super long. But its just too pretty to cut. I do get slightly annoyed when people ask about my "daughter" but hey, what can you do?
post #106 of 130
: is really about all I have to say.


But really, I usually can't even stay clean myself with my DS around. And now, 38 weeks preggo, a SAHM, and no more maternity clothes left that fit...

It's pretty scary.

One day, I'll coordinate, I think. But then again I think "Who the He** cares!!!"
post #107 of 130
The other day I was shopping in Target when I heard a nicely dressed woman telling her 3 or 4 year old daughter that she won't buy her a green skirt because it doesn't go with this or that. The girl seemed to be really upset about not getting the skirt she liked and I didn't like the tone of her mother's voice. There was no room for making your own experiments, fun and discovering your own sense of fashion. I wouldn't worry if my dd wanted to wear something that I don't like, I would let her wear whatever she wants. I remember having to wear clothes that according to my mom fitted me well as she thought I was overweight. As a result, I never got to wear some fancy fashionable and colorfull dresses my friends wore. I guess, I am compensating for this now, I love to wear all rainbow colors these days. My dd is usually dressed nice but comfortably and she can get dirty if she wants to. I dress her in her overalls if we go to play to the park but she has two nicer outfits and wears them to the mall.
post #108 of 130
My daughter saw batman on something. I think junkfood inthe grocery store and she asked "Who's that mommy?" I told her it's batman. and she said she wants to wear batman. which i am so glad she didn't want the junk b/c she wouldn't have gotten it.

But she has really been wanting superhero clothes. Batman, Superman, and spiderman. I might have to check out the boys section as I seriously doubt I will be finding that among all the pink frilly fancery ( I made up a word) of the girls section.
post #109 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelysmommy
But she has really been wanting superhero clothes. Batman, Superman, and spiderman. I might have to check out the boys section as I seriously doubt I will be finding that among all the pink frilly fancery ( I made up a word) of the girls section.
My DD asked for 'piderman clothes. And I'm a sewer, so I went to the fabric store and found this completely horrid spidey fabric. It's got these striped motifs with the words spiderman, cityscape, spidey eyes, spidey heads, spidey logos - blue, red, yellow, black etc. It's something else, let me tell you. So I'm going to make a classic gathered dress with white yoke and spidey head appliques on the white yoke. Ya' can't buy anything like that! DD is very excited about the dress. At 2.5 she still doesn't have much hair and I actually like her to be dressed in girl clothes. Now that she's using the potty she's started to like dresses.
post #110 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutic
The other day I was shopping in Target when I heard a nicely dressed woman telling her 3 or 4 year old daughter that she won't buy her a green skirt because it doesn't go with this or that. The girl seemed to be really upset about not getting the skirt she liked and I didn't like the tone of her mother's voice. There was no room for making your own experiments, fun and discovering your own sense of fashion. I wouldn't worry if my dd wanted to wear something that I don't like, I would let her wear whatever she wants. I remember having to wear clothes that according to my mom fitted me well as she thought I was overweight. As a result, I never got to wear some fancy fashionable and colorfull dresses my friends wore. I guess, I am compensating for this now, I love to wear all rainbow colors these days. My dd is usually dressed nice but comfortably and she can get dirty if she wants to. I dress her in her overalls if we go to play to the park but she has two nicer outfits and wears them to the mall.
i think that is really sad
post #111 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby
Shonahsmom and UnschoolnMa, you both rock!
Thank you!
post #112 of 130
[QUOTE=my~hearts~light]
Quote:

I wouldn't say you sound snarky. Wee bit judgmental maybe. Surley you aren't assuming that parents who like their kids to dress nicely aren't nurturing their innder self worth? I think that's a hige blanket statment and really unfair. Would you go in the diapering forum and say that? Babywearing? Are those bad mothers because their kids have cute diapers? Because they care if their kids has cute diapers? Slings?





I really don't put that much thought into it. They're clothes. They match. Why is that a bad thing? It's now bad to teach your children to take pride in their apperance and hygeine?

Not saying hamper every spark of creativity or dress them in baby D&G but for goodness sakes. There has got to be a happy medium between mismatched stained cloths and new designer clothes and accessories.
I'm not sure why you took my post so personally.. it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I do think that putting too much emphasis (not saying that you in particular do) on appearance can be detrimental. I think not "allowing" or activley disallowing kids to pick out or wear outfits (not saying you do this) or clothes unless they "match" or are coordinated or whatever is somewhat disrespectful to the child.. it is disregarding their own ideas on color and comfort and style and imposing your (not you specific, you general) own ideas of what is attractive and aesthetically pleasing and I personally find that to be somewhat of a diservice to a developing person. I think it sends a message that they are not entitled to or are only entitled up to a certain point to have their own preferences and opinions. Its their body, their comfort, their identity and I think it is an important part of developing a healthy and confident self image as well as the sense of independence and pride that children (i know mine does) feel when they choose their clothes and dress thenmselves. And again, I do recommend just giving it a try.. let your kids go all out.. totally uninhibited and unrestrained to wear whatever they want.. you (again not you specific) might be suprised just how great it is, how deeply pleasurable it can be to see them expressing themselves so freely.
post #113 of 130
I just let dd pick or just grab some clothes that she usually doesn't object to and put them on her. I try not to make a big deal about clothes because it isn't something I want to put my energy into. I do put her hair up every morning, but that is because I am growing her bangs out and if her hair gets in her face to much she has a meltdown, but even then we have a lot of options, if she doesn't want it one way there are lots of other ways to do it. I emphasize keeping clean and having combed hair and clean clothes as much as possible, but the actual colors are not important. She is my child and will always be cute to me.
post #114 of 130
I'm a total nerd with ds's wardrobe LOL! I spend a lot of money on his clothes - but buy only cotton, comfy items - and I love French stuff - Catimini and Miniman, Jean Bourget - I like them mostly because they still make him look innocent - I can't take the camoflage tuff stuff for a two year old (not my style) and I don't like him to look like his father.

I always give him input in what he wants to wear and when he's old enough to pick out his own stuff he most certainly will.

I have his hair all curly and long for the summer because once again I think it looks sweet for little boys to look like little boys not little men.

I spend a lot of money on my clothes too - so it only makes sense.

I also buy a lot from ebay and we are always at the park in the fountain, in the mud, eating watermelon and berries and other things that make a mess. I love ebay - I know lots of SAHM's make money that way and it is recycling sort of (I always try to reuse packaging when I resell).

I love seeing kids dressed like little free-spirits when you can tell they've picked out their clothes - but as a total free spirit myself I always liked looking neat, so until ds tells me otherwise that's what we'll go with - very cute, comfy, cotton, tree-climbing and sand-castle building clothes.
post #115 of 130
Been struggling to find my center between Shonah's Mom and poster below:

[QUOTE=my~hearts~light]
Quote:
It's now bad to teach your children to take pride in their apperance and hygeine?
...
Not saying hamper every spark of creativity or dress them in baby D&G but for goodness sakes. There has got to be a happy medium between mismatched stained cloths and new designer clothes and accessories.
I think I've landed in ShonahasMoms' camp and here's why:
As the mother of a girl, I'm very concerned that DD take pride in WHAT she does and WHO she is, not how she looks or what she wears.

There is such pressure in the world - and you hear it all the time with girls and boys. Girls are praised for how they look, while boys are praised for what they do.

For that reason, I probably err on the side of taking less interest in DDs appearance than I might if I had a boy.

I'm thinking of the baseball players who slide into base and then get up full of dust and finish the inning. I was always thinking "Why don't they brush their uniform off - it's all full of infield dirt." But I think now, as men, that dirt is a sign of pride of the great "safe." It simply doesn't occur to them to brush it off. And I want DD to have that same experience herself. Pride in her accomplishments. Not self-consciousness about her appearance.

Thank you both for your contributions. It's really got me thinking these past few days.
post #116 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C
I think I've landed in ShonahasMoms' camp and here's why:
As the mother of a girl, I'm very concerned that DD take pride in WHAT she does and WHO she is, not how she looks or what she wears.

could not agree more
post #117 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookClanMama
I think when you're out & about & your children (or you) look like ragamuffins, it reflects badly on you as a parent. Now, I'm not saying I put on a full regalia every time I go somewhere (I DO have four kids, after all), but I do at least make an effort to be clean, neat, & presentable...make-up is optional, lol.
I have to thank you for this comment because it turned on a light for me. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but there have been days when I felt too lazy to "get ready" to go someplace . . . storyhour at the library, church . . . so we just stayed home. Now THAT'S bad parenting. For me to keep my son home from a positive activity because I was too vain to just toss on a tee shirt and jeans and let the world see me as I really look. :

NEVER AGAIN. Better to be unpresentable and present than hiding at home. Ragamuffins UNITE!
post #118 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonahsmom
.. it is disregarding their own ideas on color and comfort and style and imposing your (not you specific, you general) own ideas of what is attractive and aesthetically pleasing and I personally find that to be somewhat of a diservice to a developing person. I think it sends a message that they are not entitled to or are only entitled up to a certain point to have their own preferences and opinions. Its their body, their comfort, their identity and I think it is an important part of developing a healthy and confident self image as well as the sense of independence and pride that children (i know mine does) feel when they choose their clothes and dress thenmselves. And again, I do recommend just giving it a try.. let your kids go all out.. totally uninhibited and unrestrained to wear whatever they want.. you (again not you specific) might be suprised just how great it is, how deeply pleasurable it can be to see them expressing themselves so freely.
Amen. :

I thought of this thread yesterday when dd and I were in the car
on my way to a Doctor's appointment. My dd 5yo was sitting in
the back seat of the car, singing her little heart out to Mama's iPod.
Her feet kicking the seat in front of her with her rain boots, in 85
degree heat. Her shirt purple with white stripes, her shorts a bright
shade of peach, her socks pulled up to her knees were red and white
striped.
Yeah I wonder sometimes if people think I dressed her that way.
but I don't know them. Many times I dress her up, we match for
holidays and pictures. But for everyday, I love waking up and being
surprised by her latest fashion creation. In my life it's a harmless way
of giving dd responsibility and allowing her to be creative.
post #119 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by moma justice
she always looks cute, b/c she is a shining star and EVERONE can see taht no matter what she is wearing
post #120 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffernhyphen
NEVER AGAIN. Better to be unpresentable and present than hiding at home. Ragamuffins UNITE!

That's the Spirit!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › How do you dress your kids?