OK here goes!! Since I originally found this thread, posted, and subscribed, it has been 2 or three days. I decided THAT NIGHT that I was going with cloth for toileting, and I haven't looked back.
Here's what I've done:
1. Using the girls' wipes for now to get a feel (literally :LOL ) for what I like. So far the MOE microterry wipes and the Kissaluvs BKT wipes get rave reviews, I'm planning on ordering more.
2. I have a diaper pail in the bathroom so I just put the used wipes in the pail with dipes and mama cloth (oh yes, just as I started this my period started - month three of mama cloth!
3. For the yet-to-be-used wipes I found an old basket which I set next to the toilet. I roll up the wipes, put them in the basket, and then get one wet before I sit down to use the toilet.
4. For poop, I use one Cottonelle wipe to -ahem- ascertain how much there is to wipe. This goes in the trash (we've been doing that regularly already). Then one cloth wipe is enough to finish the job usually.
5. I wash the wipes with the dipes and mama cloth.
This has been a revelation to me! If I may be so graphic, I have never felt so clean in the undercarriage area before! :LOL
I determined the cost savings per year of using cloth for toileting and menstruation will be about $600.00. WOW!! Also, it will spare our beleaguered septic tank some agony.
In discussing this with DH, I discovered that he doesn't use toilet paper, he only uses the Cottonelle wipes, one per poop (so one per day generally), and it gets thrown in the trash. So that means that 99% of the cost and environmental impact has been caused by yours truly. No more! DH doesn't plan to switch away from the Cottonelle but this doesn't bother me.
I kept one roll of TP on the roll thingy. I put DH's box of Cottonelle wipes on top of the roll thingy. I have a basket for my wipes (currently being swiped from the DDs but soon to be my own) and another basket for my mama cloth. I do have to take a couple of steps to get to the diaper pail but it's nothing that bothers me.
This has been an amazing journey for me! Cloth diapers led to cloth napkins/paper towels to cloth for cleaning the house to cloth for mentruation to cloth for toileting. Who knew all this would happen to me when I had children! :LOL
OK, novel over.
: Thanks for this thread and all the inspiration!