or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Working and Student Parents › Nurses, Student Nurses, Pre-req takers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nurses, Student Nurses, Pre-req takers - Page 73

post #1441 of 1533
I need to vent.

Some of you might remember that I made a 78.3 on my math test that I had to get a 90 on (everyone must make a 90 or better on calculations). I retook the exam and got a 96.6.

Acceptance letters were supposed to be mailed out last Monday, but were not. I checked the online class page and it says that they will be emailed to your student email account.

I still haven't received an email. People were getting them this morning. I have a 3.73 GPA, made a B in the class, passed the math exam, have completed all of my prereqs.. People with lower grades than me have received an acceptance email.

new student orientation is tomorrow.

I don't think I got in, but I don't know. This is completely unacceptable. The people running this program are completely unorganized! I just want to know one way or the other.

A spring start would be better for me, really, so I'm not upset about not getting in, but I am annoyed at the way things were handled. I've registered for the last few classes I need to complete my associates in science.

I could use a hug, or some sort of stay sane vibes for the next few hours.
post #1442 of 1533


you still might get it...and if you don't, then you're not meant to start yet.



the system to get in clinicals at my school is purely on points...and you get points for your classes and your grades in them (science classes count more, and As are better than Bs, which are better than Cs, etc.). Your gpa goes into the count (it times 2 is added to your points list).

It's a completely subjective system and there's no room for opinon or guesswork.

If the cut off for 60 students is 91 points and you have 90.9, you don't get in, that simple.

I wish (for you!) that your school was like this.

: sending you acceptance email vibes...
post #1443 of 1533
Thanks for the support.

I didn't get in.

That's fine. You're right, I wasn't meant to start this term. I was more worried that I was going to get into this program than NOT get in. I became more comfortable with my back up plans than with going into this program. I guess that is rather telling, isn't it?

que sera, sera

I've registered to take the remaining pre-reqs I need to a bacherlors program (this was an ADN program).

My back up plan is to apply to the association of texas midwives distance education program, and/or get a biology degree.

I do feel kind of sick because I worked so hard and thought for sure I'd make it. I've never tried my best at anything and still failed before. I guess I got a lesson in humility out of the whole thing.
post #1444 of 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
Thanks for the support.

I didn't get in.

That's fine. You're right, I wasn't meant to start this term. I was more worried that I was going to get into this program than NOT get in. I became more comfortable with my back up plans than with going into this program. I guess that is rather telling, isn't it?

que sera, sera

I've registered to take the remaining pre-reqs I need to a bacherlors program (this was an ADN program).

My back up plan is to apply to the association of texas midwives distance education program, and/or get a biology degree.

I do feel kind of sick because I worked so hard and thought for sure I'd make it. I've never tried my best at anything and still failed before. I guess I got a lesson in humility out of the whole thing.
post #1445 of 1533
Anyone else starting classes tomorrow? I am and I am a very excited and nervous. Nursing school has been the plan for me for years now but I had to wait for the stars to align. I start an accelerated BSN tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll have my degree in 16 months! Woo-hoo.

I also just moved (12 hours' drive) from our old hometown and have been living apart from my husband for 3 months now in order to finish my prereqs in time and to househunt. We close on our new house next week and will finallly get to live together again. Another Woo-hoo!

Luckily, the first 8 weeks of my program are slightly (very slightly) more relaxed to ease students into it so hopefully I won't be too crazy while trying to get our stuff unpacked and learn our new community.

Now, I just have to try to find some non-see-thru white pants before clinicals start on Tuesday. I'm fine with the white collared shirts so that the hospitals recognize students. I see the reasoning. Though, I would like to point out that it is darn hard to find them in scrubs stores because they are not exactly a popular attire choice for most nurses.

But, white pants... REALLY? The way clothing is produced these days, it is impossible to find white pants thick enough to maintain one's privacy! I say that if you have to make a rule in your handbook regarding the types/color of underwear the students are allowed to wear, then something is wrong with your uniform. School powers-that-be, it might be time to rethink the white pant rule.
post #1446 of 1533
I hate white uniforms. I've never worn a white top or pants after graduating nursing school.

Finding white pants that aren't sheer is hard. I used to just wear white support hose under my pants. It kept the swelling at bay, kept me warm (I get cold easily and wasn't allowed to wear long sleeves under my scrubs like I do now) and it keeps underwear from being visible.
post #1447 of 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
I hate white uniforms. I've never worn a white top or pants after graduating nursing school.

Finding white pants that aren't sheer is hard. I used to just wear white support hose under my pants. It kept the swelling at bay, kept me warm (I get cold easily and wasn't allowed to wear long sleeves under my scrubs like I do now) and it keeps underwear from being visible.
Well, why would you wear white again? Highly uncomfortable and highly impractical. Especially because I just noticed that the whites I found say not to use bleach. WHAT???? I usually avoid bleach but I kinda figured I was going to have to accept it in my laundry arsenal for the next year or two. How am I suppoed to keep white uniforms white without bleach?

Thanks for the tip about the hose. Unfortunately, I tend toward being HOT. Especially when they make me wear an uncomfortable/stiff/button-up white shirt. So, I'm just going to have to accept that there will be extra-visible panty lines.
post #1448 of 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by gealach View Post
Well, why would you wear white again? Highly uncomfortable and highly impractical. Especially because I just noticed that the whites I found say not to use bleach. WHAT???? I usually avoid bleach but I kinda figured I was going to have to accept it in my laundry arsenal for the next year or two. How am I suppoed to keep white uniforms white without bleach?

Thanks for the tip about the hose. Unfortunately, I tend toward being HOT. Especially when they make me wear an uncomfortable/stiff/button-up white shirt. So, I'm just going to have to accept that there will be extra-visible panty lines.
I bleached my Landau scrubs to near oblivion when I accidentally turned them pink (never leave red paper in you pocket!) and they held up ok.

Just make sure to wear flesh colored underwear and/or in a boy short style.
post #1449 of 1533
After you're done, you can tie-die the white scrubs. They'll be lightly dyed if they have poly in them, but mine turned out nice. Just make sure you're really done with school when you do it, so that, say 8 years later, when you decide to go back, you're not buying a whole new set again. (oh well. just another tie-dye opportunity for the future, right? )
post #1450 of 1533
I wore hose when I was pregnant. Unfortunatley, I couldn't feel that my scrubs were sliding down. I was admitting a 25 weeker when someone came up behind me and gave my pants a big tug up

Same thing happened to a co-worker. She walked to the parking lot with half mast pants.
post #1451 of 1533
Some of the online uniform stores (Jasco comes to mind) sell whites that they advertise specifically as thick, non-see through pants. As if they should sell anything but.

However, it does come in handy when you MUST wear whites for school. At least you can get the ultra non-see through kind.
post #1452 of 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
I hate white uniforms. I've never worn a white top or pants after graduating nursing school.

Finding white pants that aren't sheer is hard. I used to just wear white support hose under my pants. It kept the swelling at bay, kept me warm (I get cold easily and wasn't allowed to wear long sleeves under my scrubs like I do now) and it keeps underwear from being visible.
Can you beleve one of the local (large) hospitals fairly recently adopted a uniform rule that involved WHITE PANTS???? Why? B/c the director of nursing thinks they "look sharp" and make the nurses look "nurse like" .
post #1453 of 1533
I just spoke to one of my fellow students and she pointed out another irony of the white uniform rule. We start clinicals on tuesday. We were told we could bring no bags into the hospital (no place for personal belongings) and just to bring money for lunch. Let's see... white pants...85% of the class is female under the age of 50...no place to carry items of a personal nature... Does anyone else see the problem here?
post #1454 of 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eights View Post
Can you beleve one of the local (large) hospitals fairly recently adopted a uniform rule that involved WHITE PANTS???? Why? B/c the director of nursing thinks they "look sharp" and make the nurses look "nurse like" .
It's so professional to have blood, sputum, pen marks, poop and dirty knees (from crawling on the floor looking for stuff under the bed).
post #1455 of 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by gealach View Post
I just spoke to one of my fellow students and she pointed out another irony of the white uniform rule. We start clinicals on tuesday. We were told we could bring no bags into the hospital (no place for personal belongings) and just to bring money for lunch. Let's see... white pants...85% of the class is female under the age of 50...no place to carry items of a personal nature... Does anyone else see the problem here?
It is a problem but so is 15 backpacks in the already crowded break room. I had one instructor who wouldn't let us bring our jackets in so I would park as close as I could and run into the facility. I hated her.
post #1456 of 1533
Well, on the first day of clinical I would just flat out, in front of class as the question "And where am I supposed to keep my tampons and pads?"

I'm surprised they have NO place to keep your belongings. There's always some place; it just might not be secure.
post #1457 of 1533
Quote:
It's so professional to have blood, sputum, pen marks, poop and dirty knees (from crawling on the floor looking for stuff under the bed).
SO TRUE!
post #1458 of 1533
We had all white uniforms in school. Inevitably, every heavy day of my period was a clinical day. Bleh.

White uniforms, I was informed by my non-nurse buddies, made us look like we'd escaped from an asylum of some sort.

We don't have uniforms in our unit. Our L&D has a nice royal blue. My past L&D had burgandy. Better to hide blood n stuff I guess.
post #1459 of 1533
Hello!

In the interest of limiting FYT to subjects not hosted elsewhere on the board, we have moved your tribe here. You're still a tribe, which means you're still support-only.

If you have any questions about the move, please do not discuss it on the boards. Rather, contact an administrator (in green) via Private Message or start a thread in Questions and Suggestions where one of the administrators will answer you.

Thanks, and happy posting!
post #1460 of 1533
As a student, if we weren't allowed to keep our belongings in the break room, we kept them in the waiting room on the floor. Of course, this meant we could bring nothing of any real value since the public had access to that room. It worked to keep a small bag with a lunch (if you chose not to buy something there, or there was nothing to buy like in a nursing home) and pads/tampons. Our uniforms had pockets in the pants, and pockets on the bib portion of our uniform. I also wore the lab jacket so I had extra pockets. I wore an old ugly worn out coat so I didn't worry if someone stole it. (other than being cold on the ride home) Car keys, glasses, chapstick, money, and a tampon all fit in my pockets. For our pediatric rotation we had to wear scrubs which sucked since there weren't any pockets. I had to bring a cheap bag and bring bare minimum stuff. You can get a belly band (the kind worn under clothes) to hold money and a tampon or 2 in if necessary. Some places gave us a closet that was shared with staff, other places gave us nowhere.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Working and Student Parents
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Working and Student Parents › Nurses, Student Nurses, Pre-req takers