or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Help need thoughts on induction - fast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help need thoughts on induction - fast

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
Hello everyone. I am looking for thoughts, advice, experience with labor inductions. My due date is 12.21.02 - so I am not yet past due but the doctor I love is only here through tomorrow. After Sunday through the remainder of the year only two doctors are on call - one that I do not like or trust - and another I never even met (who apparently rarely covers for this practice)!

My deliema is this - I can choose to be induced via petocin drip and perhaps mechanical dialation of the cervix with the doctor that I love tomorrow. I trust her - and know she will not pressure me or suggest any additional interventions unless she feels it is needed.

The other option is to birth with the doctor who I dont like at all or trust (she is petocin/intervention happy) or this other doctor who I never met and have no idea about his practice or birthing philosophies. Even with this I may need to be induced which then brings me right back to scenario one minus the doctor I really want to birth with anyway.

I am 50% effaced as of yesterday with intermittent contractions. I really wanted a natural birth - but given my choices I feel like damage control is the only answer at this point. My intuition tells me to induce - but I worry about the petocin.

Any thoughts suggestions experiences (particularly good experience with petocin since most of what you read is bad) and advice is appreciated. Thanks and happy thoughts for everyone!
post #2 of 37
post #3 of 37
Everything that happens to you is your choice, whether you know your options or not. I'm not sure why you think you may need to be induced anyway, but it's normal for babies to be two weeks overdue. If you are induced with pitocin, you are on the road of interventions, and they do tend to domino. You could birth your baby alone if you wanted to, so try not to put the doctor on such a high pedestal. If at all possible, let your baby choose when to be born. Can you get a doula, or have someone who knows your wishes be present during the birth. They could help you form a wall of support against interventions. They can speak your wishes for you at a time when you feel most vulnerable.

I do understand where you are coming from. I was going to induce because I had to make it work with hubby's work schedule. I went into labor the night before I was scheduled. But I still didn't manage to escape the routine interventions. I let the doc break my water, to 'speed' things up, but my son got his head wedged in an awkward position, and couldn't unwedge with the water broke. This led to prolonged labor, epidural after 28 hours, and finally c-section.

All interventions have a cost. It's your choice, but I know I won't be in a rush next time. Doctors really don't have much to do with the birth anyway, they float in every now and then, threaten you with some intervention, and then leave . Just let the word "NO" be your friend. I pray all goes well for you.
post #4 of 37
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your thoughts ladies. I am still undecided. Thinking of seeing an accupuncturist tomorrow - any thoughts on that one?

Thinking (or at least trying to) happy birth thoughts.
post #5 of 37
Write out a clear birth plan, and make sure your support person understands what you want. I'd be nervous of an induction if my body wasn't ready. I'd be concerned that sure the doctor you want is there, but if you end up with a c-section because your body isn't ready that isn't going to be good.
post #6 of 37
I tried acupuncture twice (I ended up almost two weeks "late," but my baby was not at all post-dates so it's just when he was ready). I also had my membranes stripped and swept three times (starting at 39 weeks) and I think the last one is what made me turn the corner. I definitely didn't see results from the acupuncture right away, but who knows whether it had some effect. Can't hurt.

If this is your first baby *average* is 8 days past due date, so don't put too much weight on that date. I second the suggestion to let nature take its course rather than go for pitocin and the cascade of interventions that that invites. As far as doctors you don't like, you don't have to consent to anything from them that you don't want.

I haven't done it myself but from what I hear inducing with pit when a baby isn't ready makes for a really painful, difficult labor, and probably won't be "natural."

Good luck!
post #7 of 37
I just wanted to second what Luckymomma said about doctors really not having much to do with the delivery. I know that sounds odd but, at least in my experience, it was absolutely true. The person who had the most to do with my delivery besides myself and my husband was the labor nurse. The doctor won't be there except to offer you and give you interventions (breaking your water...) until the nurses tell them you're about to deliver. So, she or he will catch the baby, but that's about it.

My labor with my son was induced, and I would NOT do it again unless I believed my child or myself needed it for a medical reason. I won't go into all the gory details, but it was not ideal, though the end result (Noah!) was.

I know that the end of pregnancy is a very anxiety-filled time, but I really really urge you to let your body decide when to birth your baby.

Peace to you and good luck in whatever you decide,
post #8 of 37

I strongly urge you to trust your body to know what is best for you and your baby. Go with your baby's schedule. Not your doctors. If you end up with the doctor that you do not trust, it may be challenging. But your body is strong and knows what to do and you need to believe that - make it your mantra. When you are in labor, if allowed to labor properly, you will go so deeply inside of yourself, you may not even know the doctor is there.

(I live in Brooklyn, NY too. Where are you birthing?)

Some things to take into consideration before starting a pitocin drip are... what is your doctor's c-secton rate? Be very aware of your choices. And, the possible ramifications of those choices.

post #9 of 37
Hi GC-

Only you know what's best for you...

But I can tell you that I was induced with pitocin (overdue 1 week, waters low) and my waters manually burst, but the rest of the labor and birth was WITHOUT ADDITIONAL MEDS or FURTHER INTERVENTION.

I credit a great Labor nurse and a birthing tub for helping me deal with the pain...does your hospital have a tub you can labor in??

You'll handle it, either way. And in the end the goal is that healthy baby and your happiness as a family. The women here have given some great advice...

Good luck!!!
post #10 of 37
There are a lot of herbal remedies for inducing labor, and if used properly, will only work with your bodys schedule, not override it. Susun Weed has a lot of info, I believe there's a website. Her book is Herbal for the Childbearing Year.

Also, if you're really not interested in the other doc, your natural "fight or flight" response may just have you waiting until the "good" doc gets back. (assuming it's not so long).

Also, you could wait at home for quite some time before heading off to the hosp and by the time you get there the doc on call won't have much to do but wait. In that case, the L&D nurses may end up doing it all, too.

Best wishes.

post #11 of 37
There is no way to predict exactly how your labor would go if you induced (though it would surely be harder for you - and obviously baby is not quite ready or he/she would be making an appearance already) or how it would go if you just wait for your body to go into labor naturally.
But if you take into account what natural labor (without interventions) is like for most women - and what induced labor is like for most women - it would scare me from induction. I agree with another poster that one intervention leads to more and more in a domino effect. If natural labor is important to you, I would wait until your body and your baby are both ready. When at all possible, it is better not to mess with Mother Nature - IMO.
I also agree that your nurse will have 90% of the contact with you during your time in the hospital. In the experience of all of my friends (I had midwives both times), the nurses took care of them until it was time to catch the baby, at which time the doctor came in. And how long until the doctor you like returns? You could easily be a week or two overdue - it happens to people all the time. By then, your favorite doctor would be back.
It seems to me that you have to weigh a better birth experience with a different doctor (possibly) to a less optimal birth experience with the doctor you like. For me, I would also have to think about the possibility of a c-section - if they try to induce you and as part of that, break your water, but the baby won't come in a timely manner - you will end up with a section. With induction, your odds go up for all the interventions to lead to that.
Good luck deciding and let us know how it turns out.
P.S. I'm sorry your doctor is going to be gone right now and making you consider options you didn't want originally! That is a bummer!
post #12 of 37
I just had to say something else. Unless it is 100% medically necessary(cord prolapse, unmoveable transverse, placental issues)a c-section can haunt you forever. I've never gotten over the "if-only I had....". I don't want you to go through that. This is your birth experience, not the medical staffs. Please try to relax, be patient, and think about you and your baby. Nothing else matters. I know I'll do things way different this time.
post #13 of 37
First I would suggest meeting the Dr. you don't know. You never know, you might like him enough to wait. Your Dr. could very well be back before your labor begins naturally. We have a hogh cponvience induction rate here and the numbers of babies who are born too early to nurse is going through the roof. when we explain to the mamas that thier babies were too early they look at us like we are from another planet and say "But I was 38 weeks!? That is plenty of time." What they don't understand ois that if you baby hasn't chosen to come and you aren't past your due date then you probably aren't ready.

As for getting things moving if you feel you must. Try caster oil. it sucks but will only work if you are ready. (And if your not ready being all cleaned out like that will at least make you feel more comfortable ) Another option is stripping the membranes. This really hurts from what I hear and again is not likely to work if your baby isn't ready.
post #14 of 37
Thread Starter 
I heard that castor oil wont do anything unless you have started to dialate. Tis this the truth?

As of yesterday monrning I was only about 50% effaced with no dialation. I have had intermittent and fairly strong contractions yesterday and today - but not sure if anything else has moved along.

Thanks for the help.
post #15 of 37

The C-Section will be toughest on the baby

Being born clears babies lungs. Traveling through the birth canal is like a terrific massage - IMAGINE IT.

Also, the drugs you will be given will have a profound affect on the baby. NO, the medical folks won't tell you this.

PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!! Yes, I have heard of women who have been induced who managed without having a C-Section. But many succumb to epidurals. What's the harm? I have a permanent bachache from my epidural. Also, epidurals can cause a slight fever in moms and if this happens, your baby will be pricked like 30 times to test for infection. Of course as moms we will do anything to spare our children harm, debating whether we should have a Tylenol for our aching backs while pregnant, and then in labor it suddenly goes out the window.

There are so many risks with induction, pitocin and epidurals but medical establishment just gloss over this. I've been in your shoes. I had my first baby trusting that the Dr.s would get me through. The truth is: no matter how the birth happens, it's YOUR BIRTH and YOU DO ALL THE WORK.
post #16 of 37
I'm glad you're waiting for your birth to happen. Yes, I know that wanting your doctor can be a very strong pull, but having the pain of pitocin is worse!

My dd was born 1/28/02. I was prepared for labor. I couldn't wait to experience it and feel it. I took Bradley classes and felt I was very well informed. I planned her birth; however, I never planned the induction that happened. Actually I never even imagined that I would be induced. I told myself through my entire pregnancy that I would go on the full moon. I just knew it! When I found out that the full was the 28th, I started telling everyone that eventhough my due date was 1/20, she was coming on the 28th.

I developed PIH and was 8 days over due. So, unfortunately, I was sent in for an induction. Prior to going into the hospital, I noticed several things happening to my body that indicated labor was near. I just wish I had listened to those cues a bit more.

Since I was not dialting, I was given prostagladin gel (to ripen the cervix) the even before the "induction." When we arrived at the hospital, I got the gel first for 12 hours. I was so shocked to hear from the nurse that I was having cntrx. They were mild though. By midnight, the gel was getting a bit painful and my cntrx were stronger. At 5 am, my water broke, cntrx became stronger and longer and closer together, and the gel came out and then the nurse wanted to start the pit drip. I stalled her...cntrx were hurting and I was alone.

I did a little thinking, as best you can when you're in labor. I realized that if these puppies hurt; what would the pitocin onces feel like? I knew that they would be worse so I opted for the epidural (I won't even get into the after effects of that). Pitocin was started around 6am. W/i minutes I couldn't stand it. Wave after wave w/ no break at all. I wasn't prepared for this nor was dh. I'm glad that I took the epidural just b/c I don't think I could've made it through that. About an hour later, it wore off so I felt every cntrx. I had about 30sec break between them. I was getting 3-4 spikes on the EFM for roughly 90secs-2mins long.

The good news about it...I dialted w/i 2 hours (from 3cm at 5am to 10 by 7:30am). The pit. only brought dd into the world a few hours earlier. If I never would've gotten the epidural I believe that I could've talked my doctor out of the pit drip b/c he arrived w/i 15mins of it starting and I was already at 6cm.

Sorry this got kinda long. I'm still getting over these issues. I'll never opt for an induction. I didn't use EPO either and wonder if that would've helped. Also, I didn't have quite enough sex! Dh has told me that next pg, I must have sex everynight . Men!

post #17 of 37
Goodcents - I didn't think of nipple stimulation. One hour three times a day (as if you have nothing better to do ). Careful that the contractions don't go over a minute. Manual stimulation is best. I rolled mine between my fingers. Highly annoying but effective. Anything is better than a hospital induction.
post #18 of 37

I just wanted agree with the women here who have recommended that you wait until your baby is ready to be born before trying to force the issue. I am a student of midwifery and working on my certification as a childbirth educator and perinatal fitness educator (as well as being a mom of a 2 year old). In all of my studies, what I noticed the most is that once a hospital induction has begun (especially elective inductions for the doctor's (or mother's) convenience), there is a cascade of medical interventions that usually occur. If your baby is not ready to be born, the inductions will not work. If you are in the hopsital, and your bag of waters break, then you are walking down that slippery slope towards c-section land. I would highly recommend that you research the issue of induction very thoroughly before you go that route. One place you can go and ask these questions (as well as here - you've gotten some wonderfully wise information from the women here) is www.midwiferytoday.com - they have a discussion board for midwifes, birth educators, doulas and those interested in birth - pregnant moms, the like. I know there are some women here who go to both places. Lots of great information there!!!

I would also suggest that you thoroughly examine other methods of induction that are not "natural" - i.e. castor oil. I would certainly not recommend doing castor oil without midwifery or medical supervision as it is an induction method as well. I have heard of castor oil induction being stressful on the baby - some babies have been known to pass meconium with castor oil induction - a definitive indication that the baby experienced some sort of distress.

I don't think that nipple stimulation or walking or talking to your baby will be harmful in any way.

Is there any way you could hire a doula to be with you at birth? If you go past your due date, that may be a way that you can feel there is someone there advocating for your wishes. I know that my doula friends get calls at the last minute for couples who want support for a natural birth at the hospital, so it may not be too late.

All of this may not be applicable at all as you may, right now, be in labor. I will hold lots of good labor energy for you and hope that you have the birth you desire and that you and baby are healthy and happy!!!!

Peace and happy holidays!!!

post #19 of 37
evening primrose oil is great, too. you can get it at the health food store. I took EPO capsules (3, 2x a day) and also applied it topically to the cervix/vagina (you can either buy the oil in liquid form or puncture the capsules and squeeze it out). It helps your body manufacture prostaglandins, which aid the cervical ripening process. Sperm is also good for this.

The way castor oil works is by triggering massive contractions in the large intestine, which often trigger uterine contractions. No, your body won't go if it's not ready (which may mean several hours on the toilet for nothing) but it's generally regarded as safe (my midwives are pretty conservative and they were all for it) and I've had friends for whom it's worked like a charm.

Good luck with your decision and with your labor!
post #20 of 37
Wow. That stinks. Do you have a doula or a friend who could be with you in case you get the dr. you don't like? Can you be upfront w/your dr. about your feelings and they can run interference for you?
I know it's tough, but I would really recommend you wait. I just know of too many women who got induced and had horrid labors. NOT always the case, though-true. Please let the Baby be the one to call the shots though; ie. initiate labor.

I had a friend who scheduled her c/s at 36 weeks just to be w/her dr. and Baby ended up in NICU for a month.

BTW: My dr. scheduled me twice for an induction and I called in sick both times. My Babe came on day 14 at home w/a midwife.

Do a search on MDC for natural induction. There are a lot of safe, gentle, ways to "encourage" Baby.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Pregnant
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Help need thoughts on induction - fast