I have made about 10 of these now, but have not had my baby yet to try them out on. Serging is annoying, but looks good once done. I ended up sewing the gussets on and then serging all the way around, and this ended up with a much neater result, and much stronger seam. I will have to try turning, as I have not bothered with this yet. I have been making them with flannel inner, terry outer and terry soaker, and plan to snappy. Any way I thought of putting velcro on it seemed like it wouldn't work.
I also have the diaper cover pattern from the same company, and these seem huge when made up - easily big enough to fit over terry flats. I intend to use the cover pattern to make some sized fitteds and pockets, when I get around to it.
Finally, I have heard from many that these diapers don't fit newborns and the tiny pocket is the way to go. I intend to use the cover pattern to make some newborn sizes and also use terry flats for daytime changes (I have like 48!)