or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Sodium Ascorbate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sodium Ascorbate - Page 14

post #261 of 564
I asked for sodium ascorbate today at the pharmacy and at the health food store. All I got was the "she must be " look twice. And the guy at the pharmacy looked sodium ascorbate up and said it's not produced (or isn't sold, can't remember) where I live.

How bad is the asc. acid if I always salt my food anyway?
post #262 of 564

a new question about sodium ascorbate

i went to my health food store, and (as suspected), they didn't have it. they're going to call me today about whether they can order it or not.

my question is:
if sodium ascorbate is so much better, why don't even the health foods stores know about it/carry it? they only had calcium ascorbate and ascorbic acid, and the guy seemed confused when i was asking him about it.
post #263 of 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by judahsmommy View Post
i went to my health food store, and (as suspected), they didn't have it. they're going to call me today about whether they can order it or not.

my question is:
if sodium ascorbate is so much better, why don't even the health foods stores know about it/carry it? they only had calcium ascorbate and ascorbic acid, and the guy seemed confused when i was asking him about it.
my opinion would be that they only carry the products people actually buy. Not necesarilly what's good for you.
post #264 of 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang View Post
my opinion would be that they only carry the products people actually buy. Not necesarilly what's good for you.
: Nobody around here (near Seattle) sells it either... the lady at the store was very helpful though I told her all about SA and she's going to be ordering some online too (and is amazed that it's not sold in stores...).

love and peace.
post #265 of 564
the SA is better absorbed i think..... its best to order it online or by phone. Most places dont sell it, like the pp said, only what people buy and SA isnt something everyone is rushing in to get.
post #266 of 564
But WHY? I think that is the question... Why don't the health food stores of all places know it is better? Ours doesn't sell it either. I bought mine online (like the rest of us here) which is fine - I don't mind ordering it, but I am curious as to why the health food stores don't know to carry it.

Hmm.
post #267 of 564
Because health food stores are as "amenable" to the prattle of salespeople as anyone else. They want the latest, and greatest, and are as gullible as the rest of the populace. I've explained it till I'm blue in the face, and given them all the texts, but... the eyes just glaze over, and then you get "but its what the customer wants..."

So you have all the problems that any "system" brings with it. There is as much snake oil purveyance in the natural health movement, as there is in the allopathic drug-pushers system.
post #268 of 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara View Post
I've explained it till I'm blue in the face, and given them all the texts, but... the eyes just glaze over, and then you get "but its what the customer wants..."
Wouldn't you and the rest of the SA seekers be a part of the customer?? Or is it a theoretical customer who doesn't exist in nature, up there with herd immunity and the health and well being of the population, that is supposed to improve from making individuals less healthy? :
post #269 of 564
And wouldn't people buy it if they had it? HFS have a bunch of products I have no idea what they're for exactly, and then they have a bunch of leaflets for many of the product lines.
If the stores had SA and the sellers told the customers that it's just a different form of Vit C that is more easily absorbed by the body people should buy it, no?
post #270 of 564
Well, actually, I wouldn't buy it if Health Food Stores had it, because their mark up is so high. Why should I pay 124.00 for a kilo, when I can get it for 64.00 somewhere else?
post #271 of 564
MT, I've been reading a ton of your posts today about Vit C and illness. Thank you for all the info. My 4.5 month old son has a cough, sneezing, diarrhea and maybe a very low fever. He is EBF. I have been taking about 8-10,000 mg of SA Vit C /day for the last 2 days (since he got the cough). Should I be taking more? Should I be giving some to him also mixed with BM? My fear is of course the worst case that it may be pertussis. It most likely is just a cold. What do you suggest?
post #272 of 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Isabel View Post
I asked for sodium ascorbate today at the pharmacy and at the health food store. All I got was the "she must be " look twice. And the guy at the pharmacy looked sodium ascorbate up and said it's not produced (or isn't sold, can't remember) here in Austria.

How bad is the asc. acid if I always salt my food anyway?
What about ordering online?
post #273 of 564
I have a question about the half life of SA? Um, if I put the crystals into liquid, how long will it last - for example, in a small cup of juice, does it lose potency if I let it sit out? I can never get my 13 month old to drink more than a few sips at a time and right now he needs the extra C (I am endeavoring to take my optidose but don't always make it, as it seems to be 23 grams, and it is not easy to get 23 grams into me throughout the day - I literally have to set a timer and take it every hour.) And yes, he is BF, but I feel like he needs extra, and it wouldn't hurt his bowels to have that extra since he tends toward constipation.
post #274 of 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara View Post
Well, actually, I wouldn't buy it if Health Food Stores had it, because their mark up is so high. Why should I pay 124.00 for a kilo, when I can get it for 64.00 somewhere else?
Shipping

Though our healthy food store doesnt mark stuff up that much.
post #275 of 564
Bronson Labs is going to have a buy one get one free on SA next month.

Well on items 40 50 51 84 245

Item 50B is SA

Coupon Code #61001
post #276 of 564
momto l&a, do you have a link for that?
post #277 of 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
momto l&a, do you have a link for that?
http://www.bronsonvitamins.com/app/s...tm?&item_id=50

it's very expencive SA. 16oz is for $18 so even with buy one get one free it's still more than NOW company has it for.
actually I take it back - with buy one get one free you do save few dollars.
post #278 of 564
my understanding of why excess sodium can lead to high blood pressure is because it will make you thirsty, lead to you drinking more and having too much fluid in your body. no? at least, that's the way the dr on Oprah explained it


but I know that's not an issue w/ SA. just table salt.
post #279 of 564
Item 50B is 2.2 lbs of SA. Its the best buy I have found on SA whenever it was I went looking for the best bargain.

I cant stand the taste of NOW brand of SA. :Puke:
post #280 of 564
Comparing the serving sizes and info on both labels, it seems like you'd get more with the Bronson SA. Bronson's label says approximately 1/4 tsp. yield 1g, while Now's says 1/2 tsp. yields 1.69g. So 1/4 of Now would = 0.845g. Not to mention that the sodium in Bronson's is lower, since that seemed to be of a concern for some.

Looks like I'll have to get some next month! I hope the bit of Vit. C we have for now will carry us through...

momto l&a: thanks for the code!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Sodium Ascorbate