I started a post before, then my DD turned off the PC. So I'll make it short...
luvinmama~ That sounds like a tough situation. I think it's best to prepare the placenta as soon as possible. You probably don't want to freeze it, or have it in the fridge for a week.
Here's what I'm doing with mine (following the directions in one of those links)...
1. rinsing it off good
2. letting a lot of the surface blood to drip off
3. steaming it for 15 min on each side (till it doesn't drip blood when you cut it)
4. slicing it in 1/8 " strips
5. throwing it in the dehydrator till so dry that it snaps when broken
6. grinding it in the coffee grinder, and putting it into vegicaps
7. taking it with champagne, as is recommended somewhere
Maybe do this before your mom comes to help. You can always tell her to come later.... it's YOUR baby, birth, and placenta.