or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Found 1974 Immunization Schedule
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Found 1974 Immunization Schedule

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Here's a vaccination schedule for 1974 from my mom's Better Homes & Gardens Family Medical Guide:

2 months: DTP, TOPV (trivalent oral polio virus)
4 months: DTP, TOPV
6 months: DTP, TOPV
1 year: Measles, TB test
1-12 years: Rubella, Mumps
1 1/2 years: DTP, TOPV
4-6 years: DTP, TOPV

Wow, it sounds like so much! I can't believe even MORE have been added since then and they keep adding more.
post #2 of 27
interesting. i was born in 74. i never really considered that i received the opv. i guess i did. huh.
post #3 of 27
Also '74... By the time we were school age there must have been more. I clearly remember getting boosters for K and getting sick from them. Measles and Rubella, to be exact.
post #4 of 27
I was 74 and only remember egtting one booster shot. well hey lets see . . I have my record handy (I lose my drivers liscence regularly and for some reason this is valid ID, because you just an't fake a shot record . . . . ) well this is intresting . . . .

I was born 10/7/74

11/21/74 DPT, OPV
6/19/75 DPT, OPV
3/31/76 DPT, OPV
4/7/76 TINE (??)
6/16/76 MMR
8/29/77 Tb/Mono-vacc (??), DPT, OPV
8/14/8- DPT, OPV
4/25/90 measles
8/20/90 TD (??)


I do not know what the TINE was. must go find out. i also think the schedule is intresting. i went quite a while between rounds. My parents split right after round one, round two was after we moved and got settled and round 3 was after they got back together. funny, looking at the Dr. names (which ones are military) and the dates of a vaccine probably is the first time I have gotten a really accurate look at my parents on again off again relationship in time and space.
post #5 of 27
Tine test is another type of TB test.
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
I was 74 and only remember egtting one booster shot. well hey lets see . . I have my record handy (I lose my drivers liscence regularly and for some reason this is valid ID, because you just an't fake a shot record . . . . ) well this is intresting . . . .

I was born 10/7/74

11/21/74 DPT, OPV
6/19/75 DPT, OPV
3/31/76 DPT, OPV
4/7/76 TINE (??)
6/16/76 MMR
8/29/77 Tb/Mono-vacc (??), DPT, OPV
8/14/8- DPT, OPV
4/25/90 measles
8/20/90 TD (??)


I do not know what the TINE was. must go find out. i also think the schedule is intresting. i went quite a while between rounds. My parents split right after round one, round two was after we moved and got settled and round 3 was after they got back together. funny, looking at the Dr. names (which ones are military) and the dates of a vaccine probably is the first time I have gotten a really accurate look at my parents on again off again relationship in time and space.
I'm pretty sure TINE is the tb test they did at the time. It was a little poker that poked 9 little spots in your arm. Now, they use a syringe to get the stuff under the skin.

I think the TD is the DPT without the P.
post #7 of 27
Yep that's what I had - only I was in the group that got the MMR too early (prior to a year) and had to get a booster in high school.


I think TD might just be tetanus.
post #8 of 27
In those days, in this country, only 2 doses of DPT were considered "necessary" and here you were all being shot up with 5.
post #9 of 27
TD? When did USA start using tetanus diphtheria?
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
TD? When did USA start using tetanus diphtheria?
I'm not sure what the recommendation is, but DD only gets DT because we didn't want her to have the P part due to some family history of reactions. I also think that adult boosters are DT only.
post #11 of 27
Huh, I didnt know I had gotton a lot of those, I'm a '75 baby. Although, my mom says that I never got any shot after about 3 or so. So I did'nt get boosters, I went to a private school up until 7th grade, and at that point I remember getting that tine thingy (I watched those little bumps for any sign of somthing bad!!)

Does anyone have any idea how much mercury we got in those shot, in comparison to all the shots given now??

Theres a math problem for someone......I hate math, so I dont even want to give it a shot!!
post #12 of 27
This is interesting to me, because I also was born in '74. I know we didn't go by their schedule, though. My mom said that she had the doctors give our vaccines in half doses, because we reacted badly to them. Too bad she didn't know what we know now :. When I told her recently how many more vaccines a child had to have now, versus when my sisters and I were little, she couldn't believe it.
post #13 of 27
I was born in 74 too. How do I get ahold of my immunization schedule? I doctored here and there. And I really doubt my mom's still got my little card laying around.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2j&t
interesting. i was born in 74. i never really considered that i received the opv. i guess i did. huh.
I am a few years younger than this, not sure how much it changed between '74 and '78 but as for the OPV it was givin many years after that.. I am just begining my research on all this vacine stuff and am still learning, but when my first was little I knew nothing about it other than that I hated them, my mom hated them, I delayed all vac, although I didnt know anyone in the world did that besides me, and he also had OPV.
post #15 of 27
Here's mine from my baby book. It's interesting that the M-M-R vaccines were all administered separately and on different visits.

DPT (administered in "splits", not sure if this means individual vaccines or smaller doses)
7/23/69
8/27/69
9/8/69
10/15/69
10/23/69
10/30/70
1/22/73

OPV
7/23/69
8/27/69
10/15/69
5/15/75

Smallpox
5/14/71

Mumps
5/15/75

Rubeola (Measles)
9/15/70

Rubella
11/30/70
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs
I am a few years younger than this, not sure how much it changed between '74 and '78 but as for the OPV it was givin many years after that.. I am just begining my research on all this vacine stuff and am still learning, but when my first was little I knew nothing about it other than that I hated them, my mom hated them, I delayed all vac, although I didnt know anyone in the world did that besides me, and he also had OPV.
My oldest also had OPV.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
TD? When did USA start using tetanus diphtheria?
I don't know when it started, but I got TD in the early 70's as a booster. (That was after 4 original doses of dtp.)

As for the oral polio timing, I had the injection in '64 and then the oral booster '67. I'm pretty sure the oral polio was used until the beginning of the 90's.
post #18 of 27
I wonder, at what point in history would we find an increase in vax-related health issues? Was it a point in time when a particular vax was introduced, or was it when the schedule called for a certain # of vaxes within a certain timeframe? (I'm a bit older than you 1974 folks, so my vaxes were REALLY spread out, simply because they weren't all available when I was a baby and we got them as they were introduced, and except for the dpt, they were all singular vaxes.)
post #19 of 27
DT = Pediatric (up to age 7) diptheria & tetanus
Td = Adult diptheria & tetanus
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan
I wonder, at what point in history would we find an increase in vax-related health issues? Was it a point in time when a particular vax was introduced, or was it when the schedule called for a certain # of vaxes within a certain timeframe? (I'm a bit older than you 1974 folks, so my vaxes were REALLY spread out, simply because they weren't all available when I was a baby and we got them as they were introduced, and except for the dpt, they were all singular vaxes.)
I remember a torts case from the 1910-1920's about an injury from (I think) smallpox innoculation. The injured woman lost the case because the court deemd that she had had informed consent, but that she was injured was not disputed, although the details were not discussed.

My mother had an early polio vaccine in the late 50's that she had a bad reaction to. I don't know all the details, but I do recall at various times her and her doctors attributing sciatica and other hip problems culminating in a hip replacement at the age of 47 to her polio vaccine reaction.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Found 1974 Immunization Schedule