or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › Emotional "letdown"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Emotional "letdown"

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
This may be a post for the breastfeeding forum, but I thought I'd start here.

I was wondering if anyone else experiences such a reaction as I do to the hormones released during breastfeeding.

Immediately prior to my letdown, I get a hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach. The feeling travels upwards and forms a lump in my throat at which time my eyes well up with tears and I feel incredibly sad or happy or something. Sometimes I just feel like I want to get up and shake it off or just run away. It's wierd. Luckily it only lasts a short bit.

Anyone else have such a reaction to the hormones?

Thanks.
post #2 of 15
Wow - I thought I was the only one who felt this 'feeling' when nursing. For me, it started when I was pregnant with my first son whenever my husband would 'play' with my nipples. It continued through breastfeeding him, and now I feel it when I am nursing my second son.

For me, it almost feels like a nausea or something in the pit of my stomach. And you're right - it fades quickly. It really bothered me in the beginning.

I can say that it diminishes the longer I breastfeed..... but you are not alone.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the reply, yes, their is a nausea type feeling too.

I also get it during the day, even when I'm not nursing, and it is followed by a let down.

Yeah, it bothers me sometimes too b/c the feelings are so strong, like I just want to cry my eyes out.
post #4 of 15
that is such a BUMMER for you...so sorry.

I know hormones do such wacky things...different for everyone. Guess it can always be worse since at least it goes away after a short time. Not that that is much comfort.
post #5 of 15
I've made some real groundbreaking discoveries with this concerning myself that may help others. I can type it up and share if anyone is still interested!
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahdoula View Post
I've made some real groundbreaking discoveries with this concerning myself that may help others. I can type it up and share if anyone is still interested!
I'm interested!
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelCanto View Post
Thanks for the reply, yes, their is a nausea type feeling too.

I also get it during the day, even when I'm not nursing, and it is followed by a let down.

Yeah, it bothers me sometimes too b/c the feelings are so strong, like I just want to cry my eyes out.
There is a thread about depression while nursing in the Post Partum Depression Forum. You may want to read that thread.

Here is a link

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=718672&page=2
post #8 of 15
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelymaam View Post
I'm interested!
Ok it's gonna take me a bit to get it all out and down on "paper", but I will get to it!
post #10 of 15
I wanted to let anyone know who was still following this that as I worked as typing up my personal experience thus far I started doing some research. And as a CLC I was able to hook up with a major breastfeeding guru who took a BIG interest in the problem and got two other big *published* breastfeeding guru's on board. Their interest seems so strong, not because it was just me, but because of the threads here, where SO many mothers stepped forward admitting their feelings. They realize it is very possibly a wide spread problem that has yet to be addressed with breastfeeding mothers. We have been emailing a lot this week and getting some blood tests done and talking to some other med professionals, including a endocrinologist who specializes in hormones. I am not sure how far it will all go, or were it will lead, but if you would like to be "in the know" as thing developed, please PM me, as it will all be too lengthy to continue posting. And any other moms who still or in the past, struggled with the problem, I would love to have your contact information. If we come to any conclusions as to the cause we may want to "interview" other mothers who have experienced it in order to make any research more credible to the lactation community.

here is a link to the site: www.d-mer.org
post #11 of 15
This is all very interesting. I have only had this feeling a few times, twice when I was extremely fatigued (in the first few weeks of DS's life), and once when I was sick, and breastfeeding made me nauseous and weepy. Very strange.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymberly7601 View Post
Wow - I thought I was the only one who felt this 'feeling' when nursing. For me, it started when I was pregnant with my first son whenever my husband would 'play' with my nipples. It continued through breastfeeding him, and now I feel it when I am nursing my second son.

For me, it almost feels like a nausea or something in the pit of my stomach. And you're right - it fades quickly. It really bothered me in the beginning.

I can say that it diminishes the longer I breastfeed..... but you are not alone.
Yep, i get it too and i get a prickly feeling under my arm pits...it's very uncomfortable for a few seconds.
post #13 of 15
oxytocin spike?
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
oxytocin spike?
the itching that a pp mentioned has been linked to oxytocin spike, but so far the other feeling, is not documented or researched.
post #15 of 15
Bump for new mamas! Take a look at this new thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life With a Baby
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › Emotional "letdown"