Originally Posted by hellen
I'm suprised by these answers. I hardly notice the lye fumes. I have always mixed the lye and water outside and just turn my face away when I do it. When I check on the temp of the solution after several minutes I don't notice the fumes.
I think the lye fumes are a short time thing, like a burst and then they are gone. I don't see why you couldn't do this with proper precautions. I barely notice the lye fumes either, I am careful to make soap in a well ventilated area and I stay away when I first add the water to the lye.
I think burns are the main danger associated with making lye soap, the fumes never seemed that major to me.