or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › Circumcision repair for my 16 month old son next Wednesday.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Circumcision repair for my 16 month old son next Wednesday. - Page 3

post #41 of 94
You should very carefully and painstakingly ask the dr what is meant by redundant foreskin. Just b/c it's ugly doesn't mean it's redundant. And what it looks like now is NOTHING like what it will look like when he's grown. Trying to make it look right now isn't a good plan, it's going to look different when he's grown no matter what you do to it now.

When the dr says 'redundant' it sounds like he means that there is more there than is necessary for his long-term health. But from the dr's perspective, the entire foreskin is redundant. He doesn't need any of it, so he's saying that the loose circ is not acceptable.

Get the hole fixed, leave the foreskin intact as much as you can.
post #42 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDaPhunk
BTW, wtf is the dr doing showing his nurse your kid's penis? Why would he even ask you that? What business is it of hers? Is she in medical school and currently studying Male Genitalia and the Things We Amputate From Them?
This didn't strike me as even remotely odd. many specialist, including mine often ask for the nurses opinion. The nurses are educated and intelligent especially ifthey see the same sort of thing alot. Don't underestimate the office nurse. Especially ifthe Dr. thinks highly enough to ask her opinion.

thundersweet - I can't really wrap my head around what is going on. The best i can figure out is that he still has a substantial amount of foreskin (it is not redunadt, redundant means there is an extra one. my friends kids had a redunadant finger at birth, they decided to remove it. I can understand that ) that is no longer attached properly, and is therefore not functioning properly. There is also a hole left in it from the procedure. For starters your insurance company should not be paying for it. the Dr. who vbotched it in the first place should not only pay for corective surgery but also compensate your son for the pain this willc ause him.

in the end it is up to you and dh to decide what to do. leave it till later or do it now or not do it at all. whatever. i definitely vote for waiting until it is full grown. They botched it once. Really want to risk it again? He will no doubt want it fixed but you never know what will happen in the next 10-20 years that wil make getting it fixed easier and more exact. And of course it is easier to fix on a full sized one.

If yuo do decide to have it fixed I would consult with a couple of different Dr.s and find the best plastic surgeon money can buy (even if you have to pay it out of pocket. this is the least you can do for your son.). You do not want to mess this up. You can only have it "fixed" so many times. This isn't something that will grow back. once it is gone it is gone. i would have the surgeon mark on his skin where he is going ot make teh cut. So everyone can se exactly where it is. perhaps even have one PS mark it and then get a second opinion on where he has decided to cut.
post #43 of 94
I also wanted to add he might grow into it just fine. I would see if there is some way to close the hole and leave the rest for a later time.
post #44 of 94
As someone who knows what its like to deal with family members who pretty much go against everything i want i would like to say a few things. In the end it has NOTHING to do with what they want or even what u want this is not your penis or theirs. Look deep into ur heart and think long and hard about what is more important: pleasing your family or protecting your son. It is so hard to make regular parenting decisions let alone something like this.

Research what it is exactly the forskin does. How it works.

Think what may happen what if this surgery goes wrong to? I would like to think that the dr would be extra carefull but as we all know things just happen. He could very well grow up to have major problems from the re-circ. (it would be a re-circ because more forskin would be removed) Were if u leave it alone if there r any problems it could be easily fixed to suit what you SON wants.

As far as the hole goes I of course dont know what it lookes like but I would think that it could be repaired WITHOUT sacrificing any more of the forskin ur son is lucky to still have.

Also since it is not causing a medical problem and is cosmetic from ur description it should prolly wait until ur ds is a bit older.

Since it will be years before he even really notices it no hurry. Unless it starts to cause medical issues.

Before u mentioned that it looks like a mushroom for the newer looser circs this is exactly what it looks like I know saw one on thanksgiving the only possible good thing about that is when he is grown it will be a bit easier for him to restore what is left of his forskin. Just remember every centimeter of forskin removed takes away a little bit of pleasure. Your son deserves to keep what is left.

I got so many lectures about leaving ds intact that I know what the pressure can be like. It totally sucks to feel so alone. Just know that u r not alone and we r here for u.
post #45 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
This didn't strike me as even remotely odd. many specialist, including mine often ask for the nurses opinion. The nurses are educated and intelligent especially ifthey see the same sort of thing alot. Don't underestimate the office nurse. Especially ifthe Dr. thinks highly enough to ask her opinion.
Don't make assumptions about how I feel about nurses. My dad was a hospital administrator and I feel like he did....a medical facility is only as good as it's nursing staff, meaning that nurses can make or break your health during a hospital stay and you can't pay a good nurse too much money. They are completely invaluable. I can see how you might assume that I was dogging his nurse though, but I wasn't. I was dogging him. At this point I've pretty much had it with drs. and their penis butchering ways, and this guy sounds no different to me. So I suppose I was being bitter and harsh when really I should just chill.
post #46 of 94
I would wait as well.

The skin on your DS's penis might stop stretching, and the hole will stay the size it is. Or the hole might get bigger. At this point, you really don't know.

But- if you REALLY feel down the road, that it is in your son's best interest to have it taken care of, because his foreskin is causing medical problems (or severe emotional problems) from being damaged by the original circ, then you can do it.

Waiting might cost you more money.

But once it is done, it is done, and no amount of money will EVER get it back.

You've had one "botch again" and on such a tiny work area, I'd be terrified of further damage happening, in the attempts to correct the issue.

Ask yourself-
Is it currently causing a medical problem?
Is it currently causing your DS emotional distress?

If the answer is no, then you need to really examine your reasons for having it done RIGHT now.
post #47 of 94
Does anyone have the comparision pictures of loose circumcisions as toddlers and then how they changed as the toddler grew into a boy? Basically showing how they "grew" into their foreskin remnants.

I thought I had it saved but I can't find it now. Seeing them may help the OP realize how the penis can change as the boy grows.

Jen, Frank, Ann, somebody?
post #48 of 94
Thread Starter 
Oh please find those and post the link. I would so appreciate it!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by paminmi
Does anyone have the comparision pictures of loose circumcisions as toddlers and then how they changed as the toddler grew into a boy? Basically showing how they "grew" into their foreskin remnants.

I thought I had it saved but I can't find it now. Seeing them may help the OP realize how the penis can change as the boy grows.

Jen, Frank, Ann, somebody?
post #49 of 94
http://www.rogerknapp.com/medical/circ_incomplete.htm

Edited to add that I'm posting this because it shows how boys can "grow into" a looser circumcision, however, I disagree with his advice about pulling the skin back. That's not always a good idea, particularly if adhesions are an issue.

Jen
post #50 of 94
Thread Starter 
Thank you for posting that! However, seeing those makes me think the original doctor did not intend to do a loose cir. My son has much more loose skin hanging around the bottom. The hole makes it look like he has a lump in the side. It hangs down farther on one side since the hole is there.

I am holding off until I research this further.
post #51 of 94
I know a man who has a cosmetic "defect" due to a botched circ. It wasn't a circ, really. His mom chose not to have him circ'ed but the doc cut a slit in his foreskin so it would be easier to pull back and clean (rolls eyes). Has anybody heard of this? It was a new one on me.

Anyways, his foreskin is "funny-looking" now. I didn't see it, but he and his wife both agreed that it was messed up. Basically it's missing a big chunk on one side.

His mom could have decided to have him circ'ed so he wouldn't have that chunk missing, but she left it alone.

He is extremely glad that she let it be. He thinks it looks weird. His wife thinks it looks weird. But most importantly, he has a functioning foreskin. He wouldn't change it for the world. (and neither would his wife-she raves about his "equipment" )

His missing chunk started out small and grew as he got older, but I think that's pretty normal because the skin grows and stretches.

My point is, if it's cosmetic, just leave it alone. He may be thanking you later. Or he may decide to get it fixed. But at least he won't have to go through another painful experience when he's too young to know what's going on and too young to have a say in it.
post #52 of 94
Thundersweet, I'm going to upset the apple cart here.

You have a very documentable and verifiable medical malpractice case here and you're very fortunate in that the foremost circumcision attorney in the nation is only about 12 miles from your home. That's David Llewellyn. His office is in downtown Atlanta in the Equitable Building about 2 blocks from Five Points on Peachtree Street. You need to stop everything and contact him. You have the best case we have ever had here and you don't need to worry about an insurance company giving you the run around. I suspect that by the time David gets through with them, they will be practically begging you to take their money.

David will want you to take your son to a doctor who will testify for you in court for an evaluation, for recommendations and for evidence. He will need your medical records for your son. You need to call David today because there is a statute of limitations and your case has to be filed within the limitations or you lose all chance of recompense. Just tell him I told you to call him and he will get right to you and help you through this.

David's phone number is 404-524-5626. That's even a local call for you! Please let me know how it goes.


Frank
post #53 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
Thundersweet, I'm going to upset the apple cart here.

You have a very documentable and verifiable medical malpractice case here and you're very fortunate in that the foremost circumcision attorney in the nation is only about 12 miles from your home. That's David Llewellyn. His office is in downtown Atlanta in the Equitable Building about 2 blocks from Five Points on Peachtree Street. You need to stop everything and contact him. You have the best case we have ever had here and you don't need to worry about an insurance company giving you the run around. I suspect that by the time David gets through with them, they will be practically begging you to take their money.

David will want you to take your son to a doctor who will testify for you in court for an evaluation, for recommendations and for evidence. He will need your medical records for your son. You need to call David today because there is a statute of limitations and your case has to be filed within the limitations or you lose all chance of recompense. Just tell him I told you to call him and he will get right to you and help you through this.

David's phone number is 404-524-5626. That's even a local call for you! Please let me know how it goes.


Frank

YES, that!
post #54 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
Thundersweet, I'm going to upset the apple cart here.

You have a very documentable and verifiable medical malpractice case here and you're very fortunate in that the foremost circumcision attorney in the nation is only about 12 miles from your home. That's David Llewellyn. His office is in downtown Atlanta in the Equitable Building about 2 blocks from Five Points on Peachtree Street. You need to stop everything and contact him. You have the best case we have ever had here and you don't need to worry about an insurance company giving you the run around. I suspect that by the time David gets through with them, they will be practically begging you to take their money.

David will want you to take your son to a doctor who will testify for you in court for an evaluation, for recommendations and for evidence. He will need your medical records for your son. You need to call David today because there is a statute of limitations and your case has to be filed within the limitations or you lose all chance of recompense. Just tell him I told you to call him and he will get right to you and help you through this.

David's phone number is 404-524-5626. That's even a local call for you! Please let me know how it goes.


Frank

Really?? I just never considered it. Is this something that would be settled? A long drawn out court process?
post #55 of 94
I think that they would rush to settle with you. He has a documentable injury, not a so-called "normal" complication of circumcision.

A phone call & initial consult w/ the attorney would be helpful & informative w/o making a commitment.
post #56 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersweet
Really?? I just never considered it. Is this something that would be settled? A long drawn out court process?
from what I have read about your son they would settle in about 5 seconds flat. It sounds like you have put off the surgery until you learn more. GOOD FOR YOU!!! Your son will thank you. Now go sue the a$$hole who hurt your baby and set your kiddo up with a nice fat college fund



YAY FRANK!!!!
post #57 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersweet
Really?? I just never considered it.
Yes! Absolutely really! This is one of the most clear cut cases of malpractice I've seen. Your son deserves to be compensated for his suffering and you need to be compensated for your agony over all of this.


Quote:
Is this something that would be settled? A long drawn out court process?
There is a very high probability that the malpractice insurer is going to want to settle this one. The evidence is very clear. The insurance company will know about 97% certain that the jury is going to find for you and it's just a guess how much they will award you in damages. They know it could be a small amount like $20,000.00 or it could be far into the hundreds of thousands of dollars or even more. By settling the case before it goes to court, they avoid the possibility that it could be millions of dollars.* It also avoids adverse publicity for their client, the doctor. More than 90% of cases are settled out of court. Those that are not are usually ones where the guilt or injury is not clear cut or where the plaintiff is obstinate or wants to get rich over a small case.




Frank



*Actually, the medical and insurance professions, in their greed, has subverted the legal system and the courts in Georgia by getting tort reform legislation passed by our inept legislature. This means that you can get actual damages that include repair surgery and such but are limited to $350,000.00 in consequential damages.
post #58 of 94
Frank, what about the surgery and removal of the foreskin? How to repair the hole?
What if the foreskin is lopsided and 'redundant' as she describes?
post #59 of 94
Thread Starter 
Ok, I placed the call. He is out of the office today but I will update after we speak. I feel very nervous about this. Why? I guess because we are getting ready to call a lawyer about a malpractice suit for my mom. She went in for gall bladder surgery and ended up just about killing her. They tore a hole in her bowel and only repaired 1 side. Leaving the other side leaking stool into her cut for 6 days before they took her back to surgery to figure out what was going on. She was no more than 24 hours from death. On a ventilator for 3 days, kidney failure. I almost feel this circumcision case is frivolous in comparison. But it's not. I just don't want to appear sue happy, if you know what I mean. Even though its actually my mom sueing in her case. She still lives in our house.
post #60 of 94
I see what you mean, that you are feeling sensitive about it. I think your family has had a spate of bad luck at the hands of the medical community. It's not that you're sue happy, but you've been hit twice in significant ways.

Sandy. You need it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Understanding Circumcision
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › Circumcision repair for my 16 month old son next Wednesday.