or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Natural Body Care › Family Cloth...what nobody ever told you
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Family Cloth...what nobody ever told you - Page 17

post #321 of 440
I'm from Dublin! You're right - pronounced Leery!
post #322 of 440
Quote:
We've had a thread discussing the habits of some people who use a third of a roll of toilet paper for a single poop
I am not quite this bad, but I can relate! I have IBS and sometimes it just takes a lot more to wipe clean. This is also the reason why I can't imagine getting into family cloth, although I do like the idea of using much less paper. I have thought about attaching a diaper sprayer to the water line and using that to clean before patting dry, or using a peri bottle, but I am not sure if the bottle would have enough pressure to clean well enough. Do any of you use water to clean and family cloth to pat dry? What has your experience been?
post #323 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesaidboom View Post
I am not quite this bad, but I can relate! I have IBS and sometimes it just takes a lot more to wipe clean. This is also the reason why I can't imagine getting into family cloth, although I do like the idea of using much less paper. I have thought about attaching a diaper sprayer to the water line and using that to clean before patting dry, or using a peri bottle, but I am not sure if the bottle would have enough pressure to clean well enough. Do any of you use water to clean and family cloth to pat dry? What has your experience been?
I also have IBS and I have to wipe a gazillion times. I try to use TP for 3 or 4 wipes and then switch to cloth. I admit, I'm only comfortable with just a little poo on my cloth. But hey, any cloth beyond pee is better than none at all. We use TP made of recycled fibers so that helps.
post #324 of 440
So I just mentioned the term "family cloth" to DH and he asked what that was. I said it's an alternative to toilet paper-- do you want to hear more?

"Wait-wait-wait-wait" he answered as he typed furiously into his laptop. Up popped the Onion, and he started reading headlines to me: "'Supreme Court upholds freedom of speech in obscenity filled ruling -- Nerf develops new line of biological weapons -- Priest religious but not really spiritual -- Family cloth: the alternative to toilet paper.' I'd have trouble telling you which of the headlines was not false."
post #325 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesaidboom View Post
I am not quite this bad, but I can relate! I have IBS and sometimes it just takes a lot more to wipe clean. This is also the reason why I can't imagine getting into family cloth, although I do like the idea of using much less paper. I have thought about attaching a diaper sprayer to the water line and using that to clean before patting dry, or using a peri bottle, but I am not sure if the bottle would have enough pressure to clean well enough. Do any of you use water to clean and family cloth to pat dry? What has your experience been?
For our CDs we have a diaper sprayer hooked up to the toilet and I love it and use it often. For our upstairs toilet I have a peri bottle, because we don't have a sprayer up there yet. emphasis on the yet....
post #326 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesaidboom View Post
Do any of you use water to clean and family cloth to pat dry? What has your experience been?
LOVE IT.

I have a couple old bubble bath bottles that I keep filled with water in the little basket that holds the cloth - for some reason, they do a nice high velocity squirt. I squirt the water, front and back, feel so clean, and follow up with cloth to wipe/ pat dry. If I was deceived by feeling so clean, it shows on the cloth - that goes into the can, and I squirt and squirt some more, wipe/ pat again. Holy softness!

Husband likes a little plastic watering can with a long spout - he pours and wipes, pours and wipes. This is even better if your outsides are irritated. (Do I really need to be so delicate? I mean your poor anus, who does so much work for you!)

I'd say especially if you have IBS, you'd benefit from cloth - experiment with squirt bottles, get in a good supply of cloths, feel free to use as much as you like, spare your septic system, spare your delicate skin, and send some love to those intestines!

The worst consequence of trying is a new attention to your laundry. My softest, most absorbent wipes are sewn in double ply from an old flannel sheet. They all look the same coming out of the wash, they are SO SOFT, and my hands stay uber-clean -- I never detect any moisture soaking through to my fingertips.

Try it! You'll like it!
post #327 of 440
I am only experimenting with using cloth for #2. If you're interested in cloth, why not just use it for #1 and just see about #2? I'm not sure but you'd probably save on about half your toilet paper just wiping for pee, so it's worth it even if you don't use it for poop.

I don't have IBS so I can't comment there, but I do wonder if cloth might be better for it anyway. It's more thorough. Also, best of all, you can wet it. I would imagine that if you wet a good sized cloth, you'd only need one or two wipes, and you'll feel cleaner and fresher. So the only drawback then would be the ick factor if you're not comfortable with throwing it in the wash.

Even then, there are some considerations. There's the peri bottle you could try - I don't know how well it will wash either, though. It's not as strong of a flow as you can get from a bidet. There's the diaper sprayer, interesting idea. There's using paper for one wipe, to catch most of it, and following up with a damp cloth to finish. That's the method I've been using, and I've been quite pleased with that. I'm getting cleaner than I used to, and the cloth is not very gross - just a skid mark.

I keep sniffing the cloths when they come out of the dryer because I keep still wondering if they are really clean, and so far I've seen zero stains (and they are off-white), smelled zero yuck. I blow my nose in these things. I wipe DD's face off with them. I use them during my moon time and get blood all over them. I love MDC, you can talk about this stuff

I also like the impact the cloths have on my laundry - I tend to need motivation to launder or I fall behind. We still have TP so I have really no reason to be concerned if we run out of cloth because I haven't laundered - yet it motivates me just because I plain like it so much! So I've been more on top of laundry lately.
post #328 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post
LOVE IT.

I have a couple old bubble bath bottles that I keep filled with water in the little basket that holds the cloth - for some reason, they do a nice high velocity squirt. I squirt the water, front and back, feel so clean, and follow up with cloth to wipe/ pat dry. If I was deceived by feeling so clean, it shows on the cloth - that goes into the can, and I squirt and squirt some more, wipe/ pat again. Holy softness!

Husband likes a little plastic watering can with a long spout - he pours and wipes, pours and wipes. This is even better if your outsides are irritated. (Do I really need to be so delicate? I mean your poor anus, who does so much work for you!)

I'd say especially if you have IBS, you'd benefit from cloth - experiment with squirt bottles, get in a good supply of cloths, feel free to use as much as you like, spare your septic system, spare your delicate skin, and send some love to those intestines!

The worst consequence of trying is a new attention to your laundry. My softest, most absorbent wipes are sewn in double ply from an old flannel sheet. They all look the same coming out of the wash, they are SO SOFT, and my hands stay uber-clean -- I never detect any moisture soaking through to my fingertips.

Try it! You'll like it!
Okay, I'm totally going to use water first from now on, I'm sold! Just need to figure out a bottle to use. Do you keep the bottle of water ready and it's just room temp? I don't think I'll have any other choice, because with IBS many times there's NO way I could stop at the sink for even a couple secs to turn the water on. I think my bottom can handle room temp water, lol. Thanks for the encouragement, LCBMAX!

(And laohaire, you're right, it really does rock that we can talk about this stuff here on MDC! Anyone I know in person would think I'm so nutty.)
post #329 of 440
Room temp should be fine. It might feel a little cold the first time you use it, but I'm confident you'll get used to it in no time.

I used a peri bottle post-partum and that was my experience, anyway.
post #330 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
Room temp should be fine. It might feel a little cold the first time you use it, but I'm confident you'll get used to it in no time.

I used a peri bottle post-partum and that was my experience, anyway.
That's what I figure, I'll get used to it. Cool, can't wait until I have to poo again to try this out! Oh, that sounds crazy--only on MDC!
post #331 of 440
Oooookay, dumb question here. Now that I've decided to use water, how the heck do I DO that? Squirt my bum with the bottle? Or with anything, for that matter? What I found to use for now (go ahead and laugh) is a dish detergent bottle that has a good strong stream when full. I can't believe I'm asking this , but I really would like to use water for several good reasons.
post #332 of 440
Yeah, my water is a cool room temp and now I find it pretty refreshing. I keep 2 bottles full of water and refilling them is just part of washing my hands so they're always at the ready. 2 because there's always the one time I don't remember to refill, or the toddler needs me right away and I don't have that extra ten secs, or I'm bleeding and want more rinsing, or the kid dumped it all out when I wasn't looking, or or or.

As for Arianwen's Q: "Now that I've decided to use water, how the heck do I DO that? Squirt my bum with the bottle? Or with anything, for that matter?"

Do you mean what are the mechanics of this process? Yup, just reach on back and aim blindly! The squirt bottle or whatever should NOT TOUCH YOUR BODY or the toilet. If it did, I'd consider it "dirty" and scrub it well. The hand that actually holds the bottle is a "clean" hand - it has not yet done any wiping. Once you settle on a water dispenser, you'll automatically fine-tune your aim, and won't end up with wet cheeks. If that happens in the beginning, just use a fresh wipe to pat dry. This is more complicated in print than in real life. You'll surely find your bottom with the water once you try!
post #333 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post
Do you mean what are the mechanics of this process? Yup, just reach on back and aim blindly! The squirt bottle or whatever should NOT TOUCH YOUR BODY or the toilet. If it did, I'd consider it "dirty" and scrub it well. The hand that actually holds the bottle is a "clean" hand - it has not yet done any wiping. Once you settle on a water dispenser, you'll automatically fine-tune your aim, and won't end up with wet cheeks. If that happens in the beginning, just use a fresh wipe to pat dry. This is more complicated in print than in real life. You'll surely find your bottom with the water once you try!
Yep, that's exactly what I was wondering. I keep trying to figure out how to reach around my large posterior (okay, large body!) and squirt, lol. And not end up with wet cheeks. Thanks, LCBMAX!
post #334 of 440

Yippee!

I got the water bottle system down and I love it! I'm using a peri-type bottle that I bought at a local store awhile back and had quit using for its intended purpose. It only has one hole rather than the several I remember true peri bottles having, so the stream is perfect. I've worked out the trajectory, lol. It's less trouble than wiping and wiping (b/c of my IBS) and will save a ton of TP. Money and resources saved, woot! Thanks again for the help and all, ladies!
post #335 of 440
Arianwen1174, did you find the peri-bottle stream strong enough for you? I've found that unless a bottle is completely full and I squeeze really hard, it doesn't work well enough.

For anyone who uses water, what is your favourite bottle type to use?
post #336 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesaidboom View Post
Arianwen1174, did you find the peri-bottle stream strong enough for you? I've found that unless a bottle is completely full and I squeeze really hard, it doesn't work well enough.

For anyone who uses water, what is your favourite bottle type to use?
In the end, the bottle I have doesn't have a strong enough stream most of the time. Such a bummer. Same thing as you, has to be full and I really have to give a good squeeze. TMI, but it depends on what my tummy is doing to me each time. I haven't been very good about using the bottle but want to be better about it. If it saves on wiping at all, that's a good thing.
post #337 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesaidboom View Post

For anyone who uses water, what is your favourite bottle type to use?
It's not pretty but I love the Rainbow brand herbal bubble bath 12oz bottle. Sturdy too.

Would love to find something as pretty as my basket of wipes!
post #338 of 440
what does everyone use to hold their wipes? I'm inspired by LCBMAX's "pretty basket".

Right now for downstairs I am using plant pot (its yellow & white) and upstairs is nada - just sitting on the back of the toilet.

So I need a bit of inspiration and if its cheap - even better!
post #339 of 440
I have a little square basket with a pretty liner that I picked up at World Market a few years ago. I have one holding the handkerchiefs in the kids' bathroom and the other one holding the wipes in my bathroom, it just sits on the counter right beside the toilet. My wipes are 8" x 8" (already had that size for cloth diapering the kids) and they fit perfectly in there.
post #340 of 440
ooooh that sounds pretty! I love world market and forgot about them as a store for a bit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Natural Body Care
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Natural Body Care › Family Cloth...what nobody ever told you