or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Miscellaneous › Mothers' Writing Group › Random conversation about writing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random conversation about writing

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
I think this is a great way to get to know one another as writers and friends. Feel free to offer feedback (following the guidelines) and just chat away




post #2 of 40
Hey Kelly, know what I miss? The writing assignments we used to get.

Way back when this forum first started Tanya would post a list of 5 to 10 topics for the willling to pick from. You just had to write on a certain topic for ...I think 10 minutes.

It was a reason to check in every few days, to see what had been written to post, to pick up an assignment. And it was fun!

The topics were like the ones you have here anyway, just more of them. Most were "Mothering' related, which I didn't like. Just prompts would be cool.

They were a good exercise if you were lookig to get started for a session of serious writing and great for just doing a quick piece.

Could we?
post #3 of 40
Thread Starter 
Red, definately...i like to post prompts, i just haven't been getting the response I've been hoping for. I like the idea of posting several differnt prompts and having you choose which ones to respond to.

I want to post things that could be mothering related as well as off the wall things.

I'll get on this tommorow, thanks for the suggestion, I'd like to enliven this forum
post #4 of 40
Woo-hoo! I'd like to see a livelier spot happenin' here too!

I like the idea of prompts that could go either way. My kids are older, so I felt like everyone else was writing their 'way into motherhood', (the name the group had then) and I was writing my way out!

I'll start trying to stir up some writers. They're out therre, it just got so quiet in here for awhile.

AND, when you all start to drift in........how about your fav writing books? I love Pen on Fire by............and Writing the Natural way by Rico
post #5 of 40

new here

Hey there, I'm new here, but interested in finding out more about this site. What exactly do you do as a writing group?

Thanks,
Carla
writingmom23
Mom to dd (15), ds(14), and bbg triplets (3.5)
post #6 of 40

wanting to know more too

I too would love to know more, more about the forum and more about the writers.
I am here lurking. My life makes sense when I write but I seem to let my life take over and its the last thing I find the time for.
Hoping to get more involved.
Thanks.
post #7 of 40
Thread Starter 
I post prompts to get you started...I will be posting more in the upcoming days with options for you to choose one.

Read the sticky on feedback, there is alot of good info there.

Every month there is a Works in Process sticky so you can post anything (W.I.P.)

Please don't lurk, get involved, if you don't want feedback just say so, or say nothing...usually there are plenty of people to give feedback.

I can't wait to hear your voices...let's get this site up and active
post #8 of 40
I love the new prompts! (for the newbies, check under 'The Senses' or 'Up For a Challenge') I'll be thinkin' hard about what I want to write about, and picking one this afternoon.

Hey, you lurkers! Get involved! You can ask for 'positive feedback only' and be sure to get comments telling you what everyone likes. Good confidence boost!

It's gotten wayyyy too quiet around here lately, good time to join in.

And I'm going over to TAO and kick some butts back here!
post #9 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I love the new prompts! (for the newbies, check under 'The Senses' or 'Up For a Challenge') I'll be thinkin' hard about what I want to write about, and picking one this afternoon.

Hey, you lurkers! Get involved! You can ask for 'positive feedback only' and be sure to get comments telling you what everyone likes. Good confidence boost!

It's gotten wayyyy too quiet around here lately, good time to join in.

And I'm going over to TAO and kick some butts back here!

ITA
post #10 of 40
hi, i'm kate.

i'm supposed to be working on a children's book. i'm usually not. i get stuck. i'm not looking for help on that just yet, but i need to get back into the habit of writing.

it's ok to write just prose in responce to the prompts, right? i don't write poetry.

kate
post #11 of 40
Hi Kate.

Just write however you usually write. THe point is to get better at what you do.



At least, it is for me!
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Woo-hoo! I'd like to see a livelier spot happenin' here too!

I like the idea of prompts that could go either way. My kids are older, so I felt like everyone else was writing their 'way into motherhood', (the name the group had then) and I was writing my way out!

I'll start trying to stir up some writers. They're out therre, it just got so quiet in here for awhile.

AND, when you all start to drift in........how about your fav writing books? I love Pen on Fire by............and Writing the Natural way by Rico
I have to agree..I expected a bit more and come here so much I am tempted to rewrite stuff out of boredom! LOL.

Seriously though it has gotten my juices flowing again............so bring on the work!
post #13 of 40
I forgot to add...I don't have afave book ON writing itself (as of the past few years anyways that I can recall now) but my fave literature the past couple years book wise has been Dropped Threads 1 and 2 by Carol Sheilds and Marjorie Anderson. It's thematic stance is simple stories about the things in life we women are not told...the "dropped threads from the quilt of life" so to speak...amazing simple yet provactive writing by so many gifted writers it blew me away. It also has me re reading for ideas and thought process.
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Hi Kate.

Just write however you usually write. THe point is to get better at what you do.



At least, it is for me!
thanks, maybe i'll try to write tomorrow.

kate
post #15 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katebleu
thanks, maybe i'll try to write tomorrow.

kate

I think the key is commitment, and just doing it (same thing) Make appointments with yourself for your writing even if it is just ten minutes, practice write, don't worry who is going to see it. give yourself the permission to write the worst sh%& and silence the nagging critic.

I know you've probably heard this before, but i think it bears mentioning again.

I'd love for you to share your childrens book sometime, even if it is for no feedback. I've always wanted to write for young adults (teens)
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK
I think the key is commitment, and just doing it (same thing) Make appointments with yourself for your writing even if it is just ten minutes, practice write, don't worry who is going to see it. give yourself the permission to write the worst sh%& and silence the nagging critic.

I know you've probably heard this before, but i think it bears mentioning again.

I'd love for you to share your childrens book sometime, even if it is for no feedback. I've always wanted to write for young adults (teens)

i'm just having a hard time committing to writing the worst sh%&.

i actually decided to write a chicldren/young adult's book because i hated that i was ending up writing very cliched chic lit. i thought i needed to do something to hake things up.

i'll work on posing the question i have about the peice i'm working on. (it has to do with commintment, btw.)

thanks, kate
post #17 of 40
Eh, I always hated the "write on this topic" stuff :yawning: . I'm more of a "write x pages in y genre" .

My fav book on writing is Stephen King On Writing. It is SOOO funny. And it really brings home how hard it is to break in and get going, even for such a popular and prolific writer. (BTW, he isn't one of my fav author, but I still have to admire him for his accomplishments.)
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat
Eh, I always hated the "write on this topic" stuff :yawning: . I'm more of a "write x pages in y genre" .
aren't they really the same thing? one just has a number of pages needed attached to it?

though i always liked, exercises that also included directions on tense and first or third person. (purely informational, btw. not a request.)

kate
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by katebleu
aren't they really the same thing? one just has a number of pages needed attached to it?
kate
In my college classes, I had things like "write about a family vacation" or things that are really specific. I didn't like that too much. I prefer "write non-fiction, 20 pages".
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat
In my college classes, I had things like "write about a family vacation" or things that are really specific. I didn't like that too much. I prefer "write non-fiction, 20 pages".
hope you didn't think i was being flip. i wasn't meaning to be. i just couldn't see the difference.

i need something more specific and shorter. otherwise i end up stumped and obsessed with quantity not quality.

kate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mothers' Writing Group
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Miscellaneous › Mothers' Writing Group › Random conversation about writing