Originally Posted by sarahlynn83
1. How long does the bleeding last
2. Which is better the cloths or pads
3. If you use pads are there certain ones you have to use
4. How heavy is the bleeding usually
5. if you have a vaginal birth or c/s do you bleed for both
1. I bled for basically 6 weeks ppd with my first; it was down to about 4 1/2 weeks with my second. But plan for about 6 weeks, though by the end it's pretty light.
2. Personally, I think cloth is much better than disposible. I used disposible with both boys and got major irritation from having plastic up against my skin for that long. I have switched to cloth since then and wouldn't go back.
3. Both cloth and disposible makers make post-pardum or heavy/over-night pads. You will need those in the beginning. Then you will probably use regular pads for the majority of the ppd bleeding and by the end, you will probably be able to use light pads and/or liners. I would start with ppd pads and build a stash from there.
4. My bleeding with my first was the heaviest the first 5 days or so. Then it started getting more like a normal period. The last couple weeks were pretty light. With my second, the heavy bleeding only lasted about 3-4 days, and began tapering from there. But the first day or two are definitely the heaviest. (Though they tend to tell you if you soak more than so much in a hour or something, to call ... they'll let you know how much bleeding would be considered too much when you discharge from the hospital.)
5. Women bleed with both vaginal and c/s births - the bleeding is coming from your uterus so it doesn't matter how the baby comes out.
And no question is silly, stupid, or nieve. (sp?) Ask away!