I have been having bad headaches and increasing swelling and my blood pressure has been creeping up so I went to the hospital to get checked today. I almost died of severe toxemia with my son so I wanted to take it seriously. My legs are pitting (you can push on it and it will leave a big indent for 10-15 minutes) and my hands and face are swelling. Anyways they took my blood pressure and it was 148/70. The 70 isn't bad but the 148 isn't good and that's about what it was when I took it yesterday at Walmart. My baseline blood pressure throughout the pregnancy has been about 118/68 so 148 is a huge jump. So they did a urine check and blood work and sent me for a NST (where they confirmed that yes I am having actually contractions STILL every 5-7 minutes as I have for the last 9 days but I am still only 1 cm dilated ) and everything looks okay. No protein in the urine and blood work was fine. The baby's heart rate looks good. When they had me lay on my side for 45 minutes and retook my blood pressure it was normal. I am still concerned though as are they. They sent me home with a wonderful little jug to do a 24 hour urine catch, starting tomorrow morning and want me to get my blood pressure checked at least once a day. I told them I don't have a blood pressure monitor or have access to one so I don't know if I'll be able to do that. Anyways they are wanting to see if the 24 hour urine catch shows any sign of protein. I am just scared because with my son I progressed VERY fast. I was fine, blood pressure was fine and then it started to creep up. I was very swollen (more than I am now) and my blood pressure was found to be 143/88 and some protein in the urine on January 16, 2001. I was admitted to hospital the next day because my reflexes were getting jumpy and blood pressure was still high. By the next day they had to do an emergency c-section to deliver him because my blood pressure was 180/110 and I was starting to go into seizures. Protein in my urine was extreme. So in 2 days I went from mildly ill to extremely ill. The doctor told me later that if they had waited another day we probably would have died. Anyways should I be concerned or should I just take the no protein in the urine as a good sign and just forget about it?
post #1 of 7
1/19/06 at 5:21pm