Originally Posted by JLav
I just started using FOE and I really like that too. I haven't tried it on anything other than single layer PUL covers, but it's easy to use and soft. The only thing I don't like about it is that if any of your diapers have Aplix the FOE will look like crap after 1 wash. I might end up switching to lycra or poly tricot binding since it doesn't pill as bad.
That's a good point. The pilling can be awful. According to OSDS's website, the 5/8" they have won't pill even when washed with aplix, but I haven't tried it yet. I've only used 1", since that's really easy to sew.
On your 1-layer PUL covers, what do you use for reinforcement of the aplix/snap area? I'm finding that I would rather have a single layer of PUL that doesn't hold smells, rather than a layer of PUL and a layer of suedecloth (or microfleece) that smell bad once the pee wicks through them. I can reuse my PUL covers several times without them smelling. Granted, I'm basing this opinion on a fleece/suedecloth nighttime cover with extra stinky toddler pee...
For some reason, DS's pee is stinking worse at night than usual, and it's not the diapers - it's the pee. I have already stripped, used Dawn, stripped again, used bleach, stripped again, etc. The diapers are fine. The fleece/suedecloth cover smells horrible after one nighttime use. I'm wondering if DS needs to drink more water or something.
Anyway, back to 1-layer PUL covers... I like them, but need reinforcement for the snaps, and was wanting to do it in a nice looking manner.
On the cover that I replaced Touch Tape with snaps, I didn't reinforce them, and some came through the PUL, so I had to put little squares of suedecloth. It's a real patchwork job, but it works. Now I need to do something that actually looks nice.
I have some navy PUL here, so I need to make another cover.
I was thinking of maybe cutting extra pieces of PUL that would be sewn into the FOE along with the main body piece, and would just stretch out to the snap area. Like across the front, it would start at the top of the front and come down just below the snaps, then on the tabs I'd have a piece at the end that again is held in by the FOE but only stretches out to just past the snaps.