or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › September 2006 › I think I may be losing the baby *2/2 UPDATE! POST 58*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think I may be losing the baby *2/2 UPDATE! POST 58* - Page 3

post #41 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpolzin
Well, here's a good story. My friend has a bicornuate uterus and had a vaginal birth. Her doc kept talking c/s all the time, but she insisted she be given a try. They "let" her and she pushed her baby out. She was never planning a homebirth, though.
So, along that thread, you could labor at home and transfer if you needed to
post #42 of 70
Thanks so much for the update! That must have been exciting to see your baby As of the uterus, it helps me to remember (I'm not planning on an ultrasound) that 20 years ago they did not use ultrasounds routinely, and I'm sure many women still pushed out their babies not knowing what shape their uterus was

Cara
post #43 of 70
If anybody else is clueless like me, scrolling up and down and up and down and going, "where is the update? why is everyone happy? are we happy?! is it time to be happy?! good news?!?!" --- the happy happy update is in the very first post, and after I finally found it, my response is:

YAYYYYYYY! I am so happy for you! Go, peanut, go!
post #44 of 70
I can't see the update either, it's not just you. I scrolled back and it is not there.

However from the replies~~~congrats!

I have a Bicornuate Uterus!

Let's talk!

My ds who is 9 was born at home, a breech homebirth.

The risks of bicornuate are pretty simple:

Miscarriage due to attachment on an interior false wall (not everyone has that).

Premature labor due to cramped quarters.

Breech presentation, as the baby can't turn or be turned at an earlier point than most.


I did have breech. However I carried to **43*** weeks. I never had any prematurity signs at all.

I did have a miscarriage last year. However I had a u/s and the baby had implanted in a great spot. So I doubt the uterus shape was a factor in any way.

In terms of birth, it is not a factor. If you make it to term there is no way your uterus shape affects the delivery.
post #45 of 70
Thread Starter 
heartmama-Your post is so reassuring!! Thank you so much (My update was on the first post. Sorry it is so confusing!)

I am glad to see that you have had a good experience with a bicornuate uterus. I've read there are different "severities" but the ultrasound tech did not seem worried at all, so I doubt mine was bad. I told the midwife this afternoon and she did not seem worried. However, my mother is freaking out and is adament that I have a hospital birth now...she never really liked the idea of having a baby at home. Oh well. She'll just have to deal!

I may be in touch with you throughout my pregnancy. It's nice to have some reassurance from someone dealing with the same thing.

Oh, question...
You talked about the miscarriages being caused by the babe implanting on a false wall. During my ultrasound today, would the tech have told me if such a thing was happening? Or is it too soon to tell?

Thank you so much again
post #46 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be
my mother is freaking out and is adament that I have a hospital birth now...she never really liked the idea of having a baby at home.
Hah! Start a thread on THAT any time you need support, and I'll be right there with ya -- and *I'm* planning to deliver at a birthing center, too, not even at home!

I'm REALLY happy for you, mum2be! What joy to see that heartbeat.
post #47 of 70
I'm so glad that everything is ok with the baby! Hugs!!! Thank you for keeping us updated
post #48 of 70
Well the way I understand it is this: Bicornuate uterus can vary widely. It can mean just a dimple in the top of the uterus that forms a slight 'heart' shape near the top. Or it can be a split that goes down almost the entire length of the uterus, stopping before the cervix. If your uterus is completely divided you will have two cervix and that is a different diagnosis altogether. Bicornuate always has one cervix, and one neck, and a single uterus divided to varying degrees.

So let's say this divide goes deep into the uterus and has fused the two sides together down it's length. You would then have a thin 'false wall' inside your uterus. It would be better if the baby did not implant there. I don't think it's an automatic bad thing, since the placenta moves around during pregnancy, and could move away from there and onto an outer wall.

On my ultrasounds, my uterus looks like a wide heart that someone stepped on*LOL* Instead of the sides being pressed against each other, they are pulled in opposite directions. I remember post birth a midwife palpating my uterus to see that it had shrunk, and she said it felt like a banana laying on it's side, instead of an orange. So that gives you an idea of how mine looks. It is wide across when not pregnant, rather than round or vertical.

The first time I was pregnant I could see plainly the baby on the left side. He stayed on the left side until gravity centered my uterus around 5 or 6 months. After that my stomach looked pretty even.

I had an ultrasound at 9 months and they saw the bicornuate uterus then. Here is what it looked like that far along:

A large normally shaped uterus with 8 pounds of baby inside. Near one end was an empty 'pocket' which the baby wasn't using. The tech did assume that ds must be wedged in very close quarters and turning him would be impossible. However I was 39 weeks and most babies are far to cramped to be turned at that point, so it's hard to say.
post #49 of 70
I'm so happy everything is okay!
post #50 of 70
Me too, and thank you, heartmama, for your wealth of knowlege!
post #51 of 70
Thread Starter 
Thank you heartmama! Your story is very interesting.

Another UPDATE:

So I got my blood tests back today. My HCG is still rising, but not rising enough to stop worrying. I have to go back in Monday for some more blood tests and back in Wednesday for another ultrasound. And this weekend I am completely alone because dh is away. I'm going to go crazy All this worrying and not knowing is so hard...
post #52 of 70
Hugs to you.
post #53 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be

Another UPDATE:

So I got my blood tests back today. My HCG is still rising, but not rising enough to stop worrying. I have to go back in Monday for some more blood tests and back in Wednesday for another ultrasound. And this weekend I am completely alone because dh is away. I'm going to go crazy All this worrying and not knowing is so hard...
Can you get out of the house? Go to your parents, lunch with a friend or go to a movie? I think I would go crazy being alone all weekend with this hanging on my mind!
post #54 of 70
I have a bicornate uterus as well. We didn't find out until my ds1 was born and I had to have a c/sec for breach because he couldn't be "turned". It actually bruised my uterus them trying and my my c/sec recovery AWFUL. I've had 2 vbacs since them. I found when I'm pg they have to turn much earlier (around 30-32 wks) or they won't be able to. It's definatley not an automatic c/sec even though the ob that delivered ds1 said I would always have them. (Showed her didn't I!) It's YOUR birth, don't let your mom scare you.

Warm Squishy Feelings..
Dyan
post #55 of 70
Hey, mum2be, what's the latest? Hope you got through the weekend ok. Did you get your HCG levels back? And another u/s tomorrow? Just wanted to check in and let you know I'm thinking of you! Take care.
post #56 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi37
Hey, mum2be, what's the latest? Hope you got through the weekend ok. Did you get your HCG levels back? And another u/s tomorrow? Just wanted to check in and let you know I'm thinking of you! Take care.

Thank you I haven't heard back yet, but the ultrasound yesterday was okay. The heart beat was there and everything. Then dh and I went on a tour at the free standing birthing center near us. It was so fun! Then we got home really late to find a message on our machine. I had asked that the midwife call me to let me know my blood work results...

Well, she said everything BUT the results. Saying things like, "We have questions to ask you. We're worried, " I mean, how could you say something like that??? Obviously I'm sitting here going crazy because I don't know what's going on. Grrr....So I have to call again this morning. Keep your fingers crossed :
post #57 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be
Well, she said everything BUT the results. Saying things like, "We have questions to ask you. We're worried, " I mean, how could you say something like that??? Obviously I'm sitting here going crazy because I don't know what's going on. Grrr....So I have to call again this morning. Keep your fingers crossed :
That would drive me absolutely insane!

Glad the U/S went well!
post #58 of 70
Thread Starter 
Okay...so this morning has been quite a challenge. Here's what happened:

I called the midwife and she said she looked at my U/S results and they didn't look good. She said my sac looked "big." I asked why they acted like everything was okay yesterday and get us all excited when something was wrong. She didn't really understand everything they had written, so she said she would call a dr. she works with and have him check it out. She also said my blood test results did not look good either. She was very clearly thinking I would miscarry.

So now I am devestated. After being elated yesterday with the good news, going on the birthing center tour, meeting other pregnant mamas, I was for the first time starting to relax a bit.

So I wait about 20 minutes (pulling my hair out...) and she calls back. The dr. wasn't worried at all. He said blood tests were fine, and he wasn't sure why they said my sac was large because he said it's not really anything to worry about. He said the ultrasound was much more reliable then the blood tests, and since we saw the heartbeat, we were doing well!! He went on to say I would need some special tests done because of my bicornuate uterus, but nothing big.

So I am now afraid to be happy. I am worrying like crazy. Every little twinge makes me nervous. It's so hard to think I have to deal with this for 5 more weeks until I'm in the "clear."

So here's what my blood test results were:

1/24-113,217
1/26-120,286
1/30-149,339

He said the HCG levels start to taper off at a certain point. This could be it for me.

The midwife apologized for all the distress she caused me. It's really hard to hear someone be negative about a scary situation, and then have everything turn out okay.

So now I am just waiting. I'm so, so scared. And depressed from all this up and down, rollercoaster information. It's been a tough 2 weeks!

Thank you all so much for your support
post #59 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be
Well, she said everything BUT the results. Saying things like, "We have questions to ask you. We're worried, "
Yeah, it's SUCH a good idea to cause pregnant ladies stress. I think it would have sufficed to say, "call us in the morning to discuss," yeah? What does it help for you to know all night that they are "worried"? Grr.

: : :
post #60 of 70
That is crazy that your MW would tell you that. I almost wonder if you want to look for another? If she thought fetal tones during birth didn't look good, it might result in an unnecessary transfer. Not trying to stir anything up, just my gut reaction.

I'm glad everythign really is good! I've also heard that if the heart beat is seen on an USD at 7 weeks, then the liklihood of MCing is so so so much less. Sounds like you'll have a pumpkin in September with the rest of us!

Cara
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: September 2006
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › September 2006 › I think I may be losing the baby *2/2 UPDATE! POST 58*