post #21 of 21
ok, skipping some posts here.

Most states have a statute called "extreme parental disinterest" which is very similar to abandonment but doesn't require the 6 month wait before filling and it sounds like you have grounds for it, especially if its going to be proceeded by an adoption. You just need to show that she's never really shown any interest. Also, if she's only doing token visits 1-2x a year you can still file for abandonment because you will be able to show a pattern of abandonment. Its that pattern the judge is looking for, if your lawyer doesn't know this then perhaps you should be finding another lawyer. You can do this and the adoption on your own with a little research and a lot of time. I know its scary but if I can do it and I had NO legal background so can you