or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Meal Planning › SCD chefs...let's share!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SCD chefs...let's share! - Page 17

post #321 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post

I tried this very simple recipe for kale and it is delicious. After I ate it my breath did not even reak of garlic .I like the raw version and I left it in my mason jar for a couple of days until it was fermented enough for me to digest.

KICK-ASS KALE
I finally tried this recipe. It was good, but I have a couple of questions. When you left it in the mason jar to ferment a couple of days, was that at room temp? Also, do you need to put an airtight lid on the jar? I ended up having mine in a large bowl and just putting a plate on top of it. Not airtight. And let it sit out at room temp for 2 days. I did put it in the fridge tonight after dinner. Is that okay? And how will I know when it goes bad?
Thanks in advance!
post #322 of 354
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker View Post
I was wondering if anyone has tried Bobs red mill almond flour?
would it be SCD legal? I am lazy and have a bunch of daycare kids that I watch, so I look for shortcuts when I can

Totally legal, but pretty coarse. It's okay as breading, but I don't care for it in baking. For that I'd order from Lucy's Kitchen, you can get 5 lb. bags.

Annikate-hazelnut flour is great in cookies, on *some* meats and fish (as a hazelnut butter crust-yum) It does well with chicken. I've made muffins with it and breaded and fried bananas in coconut oil. It's also great on the NT apple cobbler (instead of almonds) I just love it! Any dessert could use it. I love it as a pie crust. Hazelnut butter cut with coconut oil is also dreamy.
:
post #323 of 354

Poached Chicken Breasts in Wine Vinegar Court Bouillon

4 c water
1 c red wine vinegar
2 carrots, sliced
2 ribs celery with leaves, sliced
1 sm. onion, sliced
3 sprigs parsley
3 sprigs thyme (1 1/2 tsp dried)
3 bay leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
6 boneless chicken breasts (6 oz each)
2 c diced plum tomatoes
1/2 c sliced scallions

1. In a large frying pan, combine water, vinegar, carrots, celery, onion, parsley, thyme bay leaves, mustard seeds, and fennel seeds. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes. Strain. Return the bouillion to the pan and bring to a boil.

2. Place the chicken in the boiling liquid. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand 25 minutes. Do not remove the lid. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and cover to keep warm. Pour the bouillion into a bowl.

3. Put 1 cup of the bouillion in a pan. Boil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes to reduce. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add the scallions and cook for 2 minutes. Spoon over the chicken.

Makes 6 servings.
post #324 of 354

Sirloin Steaks with Fresh Herb Marinade

[I]Roasted Tomatoes
8 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
Salt
Ground black pepper

[I]Herb-Marinated Steaks
4 garlic cloves minced
5 basil leaves, finely chopped
2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
4 sirloin steaks (6 oz. each)
2 tsp. olive oil

[I]Garnish
1/2 c chopped shallots
2 tsp olive oil

To make roasted tomatoes:
1. Preheat oven to 225 F.
2. Sprinkle the tomatoes very lightly with the salt and pepper. Place, cut side down, on a non-stick baking sheet. Place in the oven and allow to roast for 6-7 hours. Remove from the oven and set aside.

To make the herb-marinated steaks:
1. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, basil, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper,
2. Brush both sides of the steak with the oil. Sprinkle the herb mixture on both sides of each steak. Place the steaks on a platter, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
3. Cook the steaks on a hot grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side (for medium rare) or until the desired degree of doneness is reached.

To make the garnish:
1. In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, saute the shallots in the oil for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
2. If needed, rewarm the tomatoes. Top each steak with equal amounts of the shallots and tomatoes.

Makes 4 servings
post #325 of 354
ff,
Do you have a good dairy-free *biscuit* recipe?
eta: I've been making the one w/dccc that dds LOVE but am getting ready to do a dairy-free experiment.
post #326 of 354
Anyone have any good very kid friendly ideas for my DD's birthday party?

I want it to be just foods she can eat. I think I've got the cake figured out, it is lunch that has me stressed.

We can't eat dairy of any kind, honey,or most fruit.

I can do cut up veggies but I'm not sure about doing a dip for them (since most kids I know require ranch dressing for their veggies).

I can do pumpkin bread.

Now I'm stumped. My dd is turning 3. There will probably be kids ranging from 1.5 to 5 at the party. I don't know that any of them are super picky but they probably usually eat like kids. (chicken nuggets, pizza, cheese etc.)

Ideas?

If I can't figure it out dd will be OK with not getting to eat everything but I really want to do this for her since she always has to eat different food from everyone else when she goes to any kind of event.
post #327 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
ff,
Do you have a good dairy-free *biscuit* recipe?
eta: I've been making the one w/dccc that dds LOVE but am getting ready to do a dairy-free experiment.
I do.

but I can't remember it right now. And I can't find the book it came from.

If you have the grain free gourmet it is the strawberry shortcake recipe w/o the sugar and using another egg instead of the yogurt. I also include some salt and substitute refined co or ghee for the butter.
post #328 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
Anyone have any good very kid friendly ideas for my DD's birthday party?

I want it to be just foods she can eat. I think I've got the cake figured out, it is lunch that has me stressed.

We can't eat dairy of any kind, honey,or most fruit.

I can do cut up veggies but I'm not sure about doing a dip for them (since most kids I know require ranch dressing for their veggies).

I can do pumpkin bread.

Now I'm stumped. My dd is turning 3. There will probably be kids ranging from 1.5 to 5 at the party. I don't know that any of them are super picky but they probably usually eat like kids. (chicken nuggets, pizza, cheese etc.)

Ideas?

If I can't figure it out dd will be OK with not getting to eat everything but I really want to do this for her since she always has to eat different food from everyone else when she goes to any kind of event.
I did the same for ds's birthday party (and our Halloween party). Ds really wanted to be able to eat everything there, since he has to go to so many other places where he can't eat what is served.

For dip (we had veggie sticks, too) I made some guacamole. NO ONE complained that there was no dairy dip. Everyone very much liked the guacamole.

We didn't really have "lunch", just veggies, fruit (that could be skipped if you're not doing fruit), and the cake. But, you could make SCD chicken nuggets, or you could make chicken strips. I have made them several times, and ds's friends were jealous of HIM for having them. They're a bit easier than nuggets. You cut chicken breasts into strips, spice them however your dd would like, and fry them up in coconut oil. I've used a lemon pepper-type spice combo, or a mexican-type spice combo (not too spicy, though). Ds likes both. If you went for the nuggets, you could make an SCD ketchup dip.

I know you said you thought had the cake figured out, but I can't resist sharing the idea we used for ds's party. We made cupcakes, and on top of the frosting, we sprinkled ground up nuts (like sand) and then we put cocktail umbrellas in. They were really cute! If you're interested in knowing more detail about what we did, you can look back in this thread to where I posted a detailed discription of the food for his party (esp. the cake -- we did a fish shaped cake, and also the cupcakes). It was in May.

You can do it! And I'm sure your dd will really appreciate it.

ETA how about deviled eggs, or some variation?
post #329 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
I do.

but I can't remember it right now. And I can't find the book it came from.

If you have the grain free gourmet it is the strawberry shortcake recipe w/o the sugar and using another egg instead of the yogurt. I also include some salt and substitute refined co or ghee for the butter.
I've got the book! Here's the recipe as it appears in the book (thanks for sharing your adaptation of it!):

2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup salted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1 Tbsp. honey
1/4 cup yogurt
1 egg, whisked

Combine the almond flour and baking soda. Work in the butter (either by hand or in a food processor). Add honey, yogurt, and egg. Stir to make dough. Separate into 6 equal balls and flatten to 3" rounds (3/4 in. thick).

Place 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake 15 min. at 310 degrees.
post #330 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlleoiseau View Post
I finally tried this recipe. It was good, but I have a couple of questions. When you left it in the mason jar to ferment a couple of days, was that at room temp? Also, do you need to put an airtight lid on the jar? I ended up having mine in a large bowl and just putting a plate on top of it. Not airtight. And let it sit out at room temp for 2 days. I did put it in the fridge tonight after dinner. Is that okay? And how will I know when it goes bad?
Thanks in advance!
I make a variation of this, so I will attempt to answer you questions. First off, yes leave it a room temp for at least a day (but no more than two, IME). Don't put the lid on airtight, or the jar might explode. I use a Mason jar, and a plastic lid, which isn't as tight as the ring lids. And I don't crank down on the lid.

You will know if it goes bad! (Never had it happen if it ferments well -- it will last a long time in the fridge.) I've had it go bad a couple of times during fermentation. It smells bad, so bad I wouldn't even think of tasting it, and it gets a slimy film on top. To avoid having it go bad, here are some tips. Make sure to use enough acid, enough salt, and to have water come up over the top (so no kale is exposed to the air). I top mine with a whole kale leaf while it's fermenting (to hold the chopped kale down under the liquid), but I remove the leaf and compost it when I put the jar in the fridge.

HTH! I love my fermented kale!
post #331 of 354
I just wanted to say, that I made icing today for my birthday cake I'm so excited as the ones I tried in the SCD book never did anything for me.

Basically, I made a buttercream w/cold butter and raw honey that was more solid than liquid and added vanilla. That was it. It came out great!! And since I'm not on the diet anymore, I added some cocoa. OMG!!!

Just wanted to share
post #332 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama View Post
And since I'm not on the diet anymore, I added some cocoa. OMG!!!

Just wanted to share
Why are you not on the diet anymore?
post #333 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky View Post
Why are you not on the diet anymore?
My gut has healed I now eat starches and grains in extreme moderation and I don't touch sugar.
post #334 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama View Post
My gut has healed I now eat starches and grains in extreme moderation and I don't touch sugar.
Do you mind my asking, how long were you on the diet, and was there anything else you did to heal your gut? Dh and ds are still needing healing, and I've been wondering lately when their guts will be healed. They're definitely doing better, but just wondering. When we feel their guts are healed, like you, we won't be eating much grain at all (and only gluten-free) and probably not a lot of starch either (ds has type 1 diabetes, and starches aren't very good for his blood sugars). We haven't eaten sugar in years, and won't go back to it.

Anyway, just wondering if you'd share a little more information about your experience. Also, how did you determine that your gut was healed (been wondering about that also).
post #335 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
Do you mind my asking, how long were you on the diet, and was there anything else you did to heal your gut? Dh and ds are still needing healing, and I've been wondering lately when their guts will be healed. They're definitely doing better, but just wondering. When we feel their guts are healed, like you, we won't be eating much grain at all (and only gluten-free) and probably not a lot of starch either (ds has type 1 diabetes, and starches aren't very good for his blood sugars). We haven't eaten sugar in years, and won't go back to it.

Anyway, just wondering if you'd share a little more information about your experience. Also, how did you determine that your gut was healed (been wondering about that also).
I think I was on the diet 7-8 months. Incredibly strict w/TONS of probiotics, including at least a quart of raw goat milk yogurt a day and tons of kombucha. I also did not have a yeast problem to start with. I've also stopped farting , which I was legendary for.

In terms of "being done" it was just intuitive, so I can't really explain that.

hth some
Amy
post #336 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama View Post
I think I was on the diet 7-8 months. Incredibly strict w/TONS of probiotics, including at least a quart of raw goat milk yogurt a day and tons of kombucha. I also did not have a yeast problem to start with. I've also stopped farting , which I was legendary for.

In terms of "being done" it was just intuitive, so I can't really explain that.

hth some
Amy
Thanks for sharing. Since celiac is involved here, I think it will take a fair deal longer. They also definitely have disbiosis of some kind. And the probiotics are trickier here, since of dairy of all kind is out. One way that we diverge from the SCD is to drink water kefir. We feel the benefits outweigh the risks (based on results, not just theory).

We kind of started the SCD "accidentally". Ds couldn't tolerate a lot of things, and we ended up eating mostly SCD because of that. Now we've done more reading, and we're getting more strict, hoping that will help.

We've also added some natural antifungals, since we're not convinced that damage is limited to the gut.

I do know that healing is taking place, since ds has formed stools for the first time in his life (TMI, I know, but exciting for us ). We also successfully re-introduced one food (pecans), which was questionable but not a huge problem before. We haven't really tried re-introducing other foods yet. We'll be taking that very slowly, which is made easier by the fact that ds is pretty satisfied with his diet, so long as I keep myself busy in the kitchen! And dh is always easy to please, food-wise.

OK, I've rambled too much. I guess it's from too little sleep. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience. It gives me hope!
post #337 of 354

What to do with an uncured "picnic ham"?

In my freezer, I have an uncured "picnic ham" from the butcher. What on earth can I do with this that is SCD-legal? I was trying to find a curing recipe that only uses salt and possibly honey, but I'm having a tough time finding such a thing. Any advice?
post #338 of 354
Hi, All!

I'm looking forward to joining you on this SCD thread -- to contribute where I can, and to get some new ideas. You all seem very creative and positive, too. I have the entire Fam on this diet as one of us is an IBD sufferer, another has IBS. We follow it almost to the letter (I say almost, because we're working on cutting out the sodas). It can be a challenge (especially for myself, because I don't eat any meat and am not too fond of chicken --- working on overcoming the latter).

As with many of you, we likewise consume large quantities of cheese, eggs, fruit and veggies.

A few comments and a request -- I make the Lois Lang Light almond bread. It's very tasty toasted with a variety of fillings and toppings. Many of you enjoy the cashew bread. Do you not find this very expensive to make? I'm currently pricing bulk cashews (for use in making butter, an ingredient in the tortilla recipe I'm dying to try) and the cost is exorbitant.

I have the SCD "Bible" _Breaking The Vicious Cycle_ (and it's predecessor _Food and The Gut Reaction_), _Lucy's Specific Carbohydrate Cookbook_, _The Grainfree Gourmet_ (this is my absolute favourite), and my latest acquisition, _Eat Well Live Well_.

As to the latter -- I notated a number of recipes I want to try, in an attempt to expand our repertoire. They sound delish. However! I was surprised to find that although the book boats SCD compliant recipes, there are several ingredients, sans the "do not eat until symptom free for X number of weeks, months...". To site a few -- Gruyere cheese (listed on the forbidden list in Elaine's book), Brussels Sprouts (I believe I saw this on a forbidden list on the Healing Crow Site or even the main SCD reference site), brown rice vinegar, etc.

Finally, I was surfing online last week and found on a woman's blog a reference to, and picture of, some wonderful SCD Pecan Shortbread Cookies. The recipe for these, she stated, are in Lucy's cookbook. Off I went to flip through the cookbook w/ visions of the cookies dancing in my mind, only to find that there is a recipe for Shortbread Squares, not cookies. Went to Lucy's site and looked at the table of contents in which was listed both the cookies and the squares -- each a separate recipe. I wrote to Lucy, to enquire as to whether or not my copy had an omission, or if there was a later version. Unfortunately she does not seem to want to respond. If any of you have the Pecan Cookie recipe, would you mind sharing? I'd really appreciate it and reciprocate in any way I'm able.

Enough babble! I will type more soon

-Debra
post #339 of 354
Are any of you familiar with this little item, The Perfect Pickler?

http://perfectpickler.com/

It would make perfectly SCD compliant pickles/pickled veggies, etc.

I'm tempted!


-Debra
post #340 of 354
:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Meal Planning
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Meal Planning › SCD chefs...let's share!