or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Preteens and Teens › I've never been so tempted to hit one of my kids...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I've never been so tempted to hit one of my kids...

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
DS1 left our back patio gate open, which is absolutely forbiddne, and he never does it. (I think he was too hypped about his friend being here.). DD went out on the patio to play and wandered off. We just had a terrifying 20 minutes, as it was just starting to get dark when she disappeared. She's home safe ands ound, and it was her big brother who found her (well someone else found her, and returned her to him). I just wanted to smack him. Why did he do that???

On the other hand,, I think the fear that hit him when he realized his precious sister was missing was a better teacher than anyting I could have thought of. I'm glad I kept it under control, as dh or I should have have checked the gate...just never thought there was any a reason to, as this is the first time he's left it open.

Boy...would I likke a drink!!
post #2 of 9
glad shes ok...my ds1 has left our front door open all night before...you gotta love those teenage years!
post #3 of 9
I am sorry you all received such a fright ..I think your DS ( who is not much older than mine), has been punished enough..He was terrifed and mortifed and I doubt he will EVER do that again..Lesson learned and anything else at this point is punitive and not instructive..


peace,
Ann
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Ann,
I agree totally. I'm awfully glad I didn't lose it last night...I came awfully close. Fortunately, my little girl is safe and sound. We had extra cuddle time with her this morning, too...dh and I both needed it.
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
...On the other hand, I think the fear that hit him when he realized his precious sister was missing was a better teacher than anyting I could have thought of. I'm glad I kept it under control, as dh or I should have have checked the gate...just never thought there was any a reason to, as this is the first time he's left it open.
Good for you momma for keeping it under control!
And I am glad that your little one was found safe and sound.

Take Care,
Erika:

Hannah-Rest in Peace Sweet Girl
post #6 of 9
So glad all turned out well. It can be so terrifying when you start to play worst case scenerio in your head...
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpatude
I am sorry you all received such a fright ..I think your DS ( who is not much older than mine), has been punished enough..He was terrifed and mortifed and I doubt he will EVER do that again..Lesson learned and anything else at this point is punitive and not instructive..
ITA! My son has done some absentminded things when I expected him to be more careful with his little sister in the house. But I feel it's my responsibility to go behind my kids when they do stuff and I could never punish one of my children for not looking after my other child's safety so I'm glad you didn't do that to him.

That said, I'm glad your daughter is okay.
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
I'm glad, too.

I'll make sure I always check the gate from now on. When we first moved in, I always checked it, but both dh & ds1 always remembered to close it, so I gradually got out of the habit. When dd went outside that night, I was in the kitchen making supper. It's so easy to miss checking on things sometimes.

I'll remember to check, but I don't think ds1 will ever do that again. I think he may have been even more terrified than me or dh.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
... I don't think ds1 will ever do that again. I think he may have been even more terrified than me or dh.
Probably not. And he deserves a family hug too, for being so concerned and loving his sister so much.

It was a learning experience for him and I bet he learned a lot. Not just to close the gate at all time, but to be tolerant of someone who is forgetful or absent minded even if it could have resulted in terrible consequences.

The bottom line is, she's OK.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Preteens and Teens
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Preteens and Teens › I've never been so tempted to hit one of my kids...