or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Homemade "Babylegs" ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Homemade "Babylegs" ? - Page 6

post #101 of 131
When you cut the sock at the ankle, you are left with the foot part of the sock. From that portion, you cut a rectangle off the top of the foot - basically you are cutting off the toes and the heel part, so you are left with the portion of the sock that would go around the ball of your foot over the top and back again. You use that piece to create a rectangle (I think I trim it to about 4" by 7" - the four inch part being the measurement from the cut at the toes to the cut at the heel, and the 7" part being the width that would have gone over the top of my foot). Turn that rectangle upside down and fold in half lengthwise, right sides together (so now you have a soon-to-be-sewn tube that is 4" by about 3 1/2"). Sew up the open side of the tube, leaving the top and bottom unsewn. Take one end of the open tube and flip over the top to the other end of the open tube, making a cuff ... I know that probably doesn't make any sense ... if I can, I'll take pictures because once you see it, it's like, okay I get it now. (I was quite confused at first but once I sat down with the different parts of the cut up sock, it made much more sense.)
post #102 of 131
and you dont have to add a cuff. I just turn them under and stitch
post #103 of 131
Thanks - I think I get it now. So what size child do these fit? Only babies or will they fit as leggings on a toddler?
post #104 of 131
womens knee socks fit my tall 2.5 year old dd who is 38 inches tall.
post #105 of 131
I just wanted to share my alternative cuff...

http://i12.tinypic.com/29uq8zk.jpg

It's a photo of a knee sock. You cut where the lines are. Then, you take the area of the foot pointed to and fold it into itself to make a cuff. You then sew the unfinished edges of the cuff to the unfinished edge of the sock. Here's the result.

http://i16.tinypic.com/3zl5z69.jpg

If you have questions, let me know. It takes me about 15 minutes to do a pair now, unless my 2 kids are around (most of the time) and then it takes more like 45 minutes.
post #106 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
I just wanted to share my alternative cuff...

http://i12.tinypic.com/29uq8zk.jpg

It's a photo of a knee sock. You cut where the lines are. Then, you take the area of the foot pointed to and fold it into itself to make a cuff. You then sew the unfinished edges of the cuff to the unfinished edge of the sock. Here's the result.

http://i16.tinypic.com/3zl5z69.jpg

If you have questions, let me know. It takes me about 15 minutes to do a pair now, unless my 2 kids are around (most of the time) and then it takes more like 45 minutes.
where'd ya get your cute soks? nak
post #107 of 131
I made some the other day. I just folded the cut end over and stitched. DH got me a sewing machine for Christmas, so I am still learning. The stitching is a little uneven in places, but I am getting better!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...y/babylegs.jpg
post #108 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymamma View Post
I made some the other day. I just folded the cut end over and stitched. DH got me a sewing machine for Christmas, so I am still learning. The stitching is a little uneven in places, but I am getting better!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...y/babylegs.jpg
Awww, they're awesome! Great job!
post #109 of 131
Both Targets i went to last week had many many cute socks, quite a few of which could be used for boys on clearance for $2/pair. We got some with DRAGONS!
post #110 of 131
I just found a ton of cute pairs of knee socks at Marshall's last night. I can't wait to start sewing, but I have a question. How long should I make them for an infant? How about for a one year old? I'm due with my first baby later this month so I don't have a baby to measure off of. Thanks for any help.
post #111 of 131
I make them all as long as i can get from the sock. Then i can use them longer. If they are too long then i just roll the cuff or scrunch it and have a bit extra.
post #112 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post
where'd ya get your cute soks? nak
I bought those at Target. I found quite a few cute boy ones, but they were all about $3+/pair. (I'm pretty cheap, I was hoping for $1/pair). I also found some cute knee socks at Max10 (in Grand Rapids, MI) where it was Buy 10, get 2 free, and they were $1/each. We know what some kids got for Xmas...
post #113 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sorta-fairytale View Post
I make them all as long as i can get from the sock. Then i can use them longer. If they are too long then i just roll the cuff or scrunch it and have a bit extra.
:
post #114 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
I bought those at Target. I found quite a few cute boy ones, but they were all about $3+/pair. (I'm pretty cheap, I was hoping for $1/pair). I also found some cute knee socks at Max10 (in Grand Rapids, MI) where it was Buy 10, get 2 free, and they were $1/each. We know what some kids got for Xmas...
This sounds SOOO much like me! I'd love to find a place locally with such a great deal. Awesome find!
post #115 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamama View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/babyhopes/tags/babylegs/

I am still confused about where the cuff part came from

Thank you for posting that! I used it to make some tonight and LOVE them.

[If anyone is looking for a good deal on socks, I found a bunch at Target on clearance for $1.98. I got some dark purple ones with purple pom poms sewn on. They are too darn cute! I found some with skulls, dragons, unicorns, vertical stripes ~ all for between $1.98 and $2.78.]
post #116 of 131
I haven't had the time to read every post here, but just wanted to say that I make my dd of 6 years legwarmers like this from recycled (usually wooly) socks. I wear them too. Not just for babies in dipes.
post #117 of 131
Oh, ya, and I've also used an old pair of cashmere socks I just loved to make fingerless gloves, snipped a hole in the side for my thumbs. No sewing cause they were felted well already. I use them in my cold montana studio when working with my clay or in chilly house when typing or reading, etc. My dd likes to wear them too.
post #118 of 131
I have been looking all over for cute tube socks to make my DS some and I can not find any! Where should I be looking?
post #119 of 131
Walmart, Target, Fashion Bug, DOTS, 579, Marshall's, K-Mart, Meijer, Burlington Coat Factory, etc.
post #120 of 131
Ebay too. I bought 2 lots (12 pairs each) of them and turned them out for holiday gifts this year. My skinny 8 y/o loves to wear them as "arm warmers", while the chunky (almost) 2y/o's legs are kept warm with the same (used to be) socks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Arts & Crafts
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Homemade "Babylegs" ?