or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

16 children - Page 92

post #1821 of 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarieR View Post
I love coming here everyday, and I've been learning a lot, but it seems to me that anyone who disagrees with popular opinion is either fussed at or ridiculed...

I've read all about the evils of Ezzo, but I think allowing children to live without rules or consequences is just as bad for them. I've tried to ask about the grey areas, but apparently, no one is allowed to favor a more moderate parenting style : without having their heads bitten off.

Even though I have opinions to share, and questions to ask, I think I'm just going to let this thread die... sorry if my opinions irritated you, but I sort of thought that was the whole point of us all coming together.

~Valarie~
Sweetie I'm not biting your head off neither did I treat you with contempt of any kind, I have no time for passive agressive bs, I'm a very straight talker, it comes across a bit harsh at times esp when dealing with the welfare of kids, but that's just me

I told you to read up because you asked what blanket training was, you were asking how we knew spanking was involved, basic reading up on Ezzo give you all that and so much more, and therefore you could more effectively argue your support of the Duggars methods, knowing full well who they follow.


Neither have I or any other said that we don't give our children rules or set boundaries, you seem to think that we are and NONE of us have, because we aren't saying 10 mins on the blanket, it does not mean that we don't set rules for daily living, the truth is that when you become a parent, all these notions of the perfect child and how you will raise said child(ren) come to a halt, you have to learn and respect that each child is different, (in my book not doing is wrong you aren't respecting your child's needs, see one of my issues withe the Duggars) my ds is a joy to be around is always praised for how well behaved he is , you can bet he has rules but my rules may not work in your home, the same way the rules from when he was 5 no longer are acceptable for us now, and chances are those won't be the absolute same list that my dd will come up with.
You are asking us to give you a blue print, and it does not work like that, it's not a grey area, it's life and in living and growing, you find what you need to work out those areas that are not so clear, like how do I get this child to keep on clothes when it's 20 degrees outside.
You find what you need to direct your children by what they respond to.

And I must add I am moderate as it comes to MDC
I'm an ex spanker and fairly strict in some areas, def not the avg GD parent
post #1822 of 1903
This thread boils down to, "Some people will believe anything they see on TV."

: Oh, well.
post #1823 of 1903
I always love a good bag of popcorn. :
post #1824 of 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
btw, while i was reading, i was opening links in the background, including http://www.dortignac.com/. they've obviously been looking at who's been looking at them. lol check out their news page & scroll down to the paragraph under the picture of the bear.
Man I doubt it's us, we aren't mean enough seriously.
post #1825 of 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajira View Post
Man I doubt it's us, we aren't mean enough seriously.
They might be talking about Television Without Pity. They're brutal (and hilarious) over there.
post #1826 of 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJean View Post
Simmer down, Sassy!! Geez!
Something about "Simmer down, Sassy" is really funny.
post #1827 of 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by lckrause View Post
They might be talking about Television Without Pity. They're brutal (and hilarious) over there.
Yup and they slammed both families, altho I must admit their number the kids stuff queeked me a bit :
Number 8 order up
Number 10, sorry no eggs left, cook is gone for the day
post #1828 of 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes View Post
This thread boils down to, "Some people will believe anything they see on TV."

: Oh, well.
or on Message boards
post #1829 of 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMarmalade View Post
There are ways to abuse your children without spanking ... and your 'making assumptions' and 'spewing hate' thing seriously made my eyes pop out. I saw a few of your posts the other day and perhaps you meant to say "I will not make assumptions and spew hate as long as I agree with it, but if I disagree with it I'll do it".
Still waiting for a pm explaining this quote
post #1830 of 1903
unbelievable that this thread is still going :

I dont agree with all of the Duggar's child rearing tactics but I'd never be so arrogant to say that I'm a better parent just because I dont cio, blanket train or spank. This thread seems to steam with comments about how horribly treated those poor Duggar children are. I knew several families growing up who's parents were pretty gd but lacked in other areas. I think the definition of child abuse is really relative to your own personal beliefs (within this thread that is).

The Duggars are an interesting family. I love to watch them because on the outside they seem to have it all together. The kids seem well taken care of and have a strong sense of family. I look at them as I look at other families in my neighborhood....."hmm, they seem nice....there are some cool things they do i'd like to implement in my family but things I would never do".

My neighbor was using babywise to get her newborn to sleep. It broke my heart to hear him cry but I never thought she was abusing him for this. She loves her son and is trying to do what she thinks is best. (I would not defend her if she were hitting him, btw) The point to my ramblings are......no parent is perfect, we all do what we think is best for our family. We're all striving to raise good people and there's no ONE way to do it
post #1831 of 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by lckrause View Post
Something about "Simmer down, Sassy" is really funny.
Yeah, because she stole it from David Sedaris. Here's another one, which applies to this thread:

"I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out."
post #1832 of 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy View Post
I dont agree with all of the Duggar's child rearing tactics but I'd never be so arrogant to say that I'm a better parent just because I dont cio, blanket train or spank.
I would! Who else is gonna sign up in the Arrogantly Not Giving Eloquent Leeway for Spanking (ANGELS) Club? Don't Eviscerate Violence, Instead Laud Spanking (DEVILS) is not the club for me. But I guess you're right, different strokes for different folks.
post #1833 of 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
I would! Who else is gonna sign up in the Arrogantly Not Giving Eloquent Leeway for Spanking (ANGELS) Club? Don't Eviscerate Violence, Instead Laud Spanking (DEVILS) is not the club for me. But I guess you're right, different strokes for different folks.
HERE HERE~ Can I join your league of extraordinary parents?

Cause seriously did you just say CIO. babywise, and spanking aren't that bad? ON MDC? And people wonder what's wrong here? Really? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this.
Quote:
I dont agree with all of the Duggar's child rearing tactics but I'd never be so arrogant to say that I'm a better parent just because I dont cio, blanket train or spank.
I sure the hell would!:
post #1834 of 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki View Post

Cause seriously did you just say CIO. babywise, and spanking aren't that bad? ON MDC? And people wonder what's wrong here? Really? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this.
I sure the hell would!:
I didnt say that cio and spanking "arent that bad". I just meant that I'm not a better parent all around because I "dont" do those things. If I start looking at other mom's and think that I'm better because I dont do this or that, then I stopped learning how to be a good mom. I just dont think i'm articulating myself here very well. I dont agree with spanking or cio but if a parent does that (as many many many many parents in this country do), I dont automatically label them as horrific parents....yk?
post #1835 of 1903
Mykidsmomy,

I totally agree with your take on things. I know some awesome loving families that used some parenting methods that are considered "bad' on MDC and that I would not use. I also know some AP/GD parents that are horrible parents. I totally agree with you! Wish more people on MDC would see that parenting is not so black and white.
post #1836 of 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
Yeah, because she stole it from David Sedaris.
I think he stole it from my great grandmother. Still think it's funny.
post #1837 of 1903
Ok, I'm obviously not going to read all the posts, but I don't see why there's even a debate about this family. I think it's wonderful they are in a place that they can do this and love it. They are only human and not perfect, but doing the best job they can! What's the big deal?

Ok, I just watched the Christmas video and it was great! The one daughter was so proud and happy to have made her siblings clothes. Grandma was there to help too and it seems each children gets turns hanging out w/mom and dad when it's not feesable to take all of them. They also know they are special.
post #1838 of 1903
there's a Christmas video?
post #1839 of 1903
yes, if you go on their site and click on i think it was the discovery channel link on the left it takes you to 3 short videos.
post #1840 of 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiharshe View Post
Ok, I'm obviously not going to read all the posts, but I don't see why there's even a debate about this family.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television