or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › 'Fess up - what children's books make you groan?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Fess up - what children's books make you groan? - Page 7

post #121 of 169
The worst books that i can think of that we own at the moment (going to goodwill!) are 'There is Hipopotamus on our roof' and another book in the same series. Totaly weirds me out. The kid has an imaganary hippo friend that lives on the roof. Also hate the way the parents talk to her. I'de do a quote from the books but think it went out in the last boxfull.

'Jenny's Baby Brother' agg! I bought that second thinking it was a nice story about how a sister and new brother become friends. Well they do but....
quote 'she passed Pete in the hall. He put out a cubby foot and tripped her up.' " Well done Pete!" she said dabbing at a bleeding lip'
After that they are suposed to be friends?

I also hate the Clifford books. We only had one and it's now gone. Weird thing is dh got a clifforf movie from the video shop which dd is watiching right now lol and I quite like it!


Quote:
But the ones I find really troubling are the children's books with spelling and grammar errors!! My mom gave my dd a version of "Peter Rabbit", which used the word "presently" at least 7 times in the short story. But even better was the sentence that included "presently" and currently". How dare they publish a book that has not been properly edited!??
Ok well we (Australians) spell 'presently' and 'currently' exactly like that. Just check if it was printed in/ or written by someone Australian or English before thinking it's a spelling error. Petter rabbit was writen by betrix Potter who was English. We also say colour instead of color, so don't asume everyone spells the same as you yanks I know my spelling isn't great either, but it may not be as bad as you think
post #122 of 169
My son is obsessed with Dora books, it is all he wants to read while we have a ton of great things to read and he wants to read Dora, 'swiper no swiping", I have to say it with him.... ugggg....... Even worse my mother in law keeps buying more, we've got five or so Dora books.
Upside is as least he is learning some Spanish words
Also don't care for Carl the dog or Rainbow Fish...
Gotta stick up for Goodnight Moon though and the Big Red Barn
post #123 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
books that I dislike:
the Giving tre
anything that is a spin off of TV or movies.
why don't you like the giving tree? i find it depressing but kind of realistic!
post #124 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesiLynne
I love you forever creeps me out b/c dh's mom IS REALLY LIKE THAT

It's UBER CREEPY

I like goodnight moon :

I

I kept reading all the posts on "I love you forever" and I was confused I guess I have not read that one ....
I thought ya'll were talking about
"guess how much I love you"

I have seen some negative posts on that one too. I don't mind it . anyway I am off to check out what this "i love you forever " book is all about
post #125 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Ok well we (Australians) spell 'presently' and 'currently' exactly like that. Just check if it was printed in/ or written by someone Australian or English before thinking it's a spelling error. Petter rabbit was writen by betrix Potter who was English.
According to my crazy-smart brother who paid FAR too much attention in English classes, as far as I can remember, the problem with those is that they aren't grammatically correct. That those words aren't really supposed to exist. Said brother cringes when someone says "luckily" and so forth, because it's not really a word.

So I think that's what the PP is getting at...they aren't supposed to be used.

I had different English teachers than my brother did and was never taught that, so I feel differently (ha) about those words than my brother or the previous poster...but I do think that's what she was getting at.

And if I'm wrong, I will presently apologize LOL.
post #126 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
According to my crazy-smart brother who paid FAR too much attention in English classes, as far as I can remember, the problem with those is that they aren't grammatically correct. That those words aren't really supposed to exist. Said brother cringes when someone says "luckily" and so forth, because it's not really a word.

So I think that's what the PP is getting at...they aren't supposed to be used.

I had different English teachers than my brother did and was never taught that, so I feel differently (ha) about those words than my brother or the previous poster...but I do think that's what she was getting at.

And if I'm wrong, I will presently apologize LOL.
I have to say that even after having taught English for ten years, even after having gotten an M.A. in the subject from a selective private university, and even after being one of those picky people to whom Eats Shoots and Leaves was basically a waste of time because, well, nothing in it was new to me, I never heard of there being a problem with luckily. Hopefully, yes. People misuse that one regularly in sentences like, "Hopefully, my car will be out of the shop by Tuesday." Unless you mean that your car will be "full of hope" AND in good repair too, you should probably use another word or phrase such as, "With luck," or "If all goes well." Would you mind explaining what the problem is with luckily?

Now back to our regularly scheduled bickering.
post #127 of 169
i looked at this book in the library i think it's called elouise, it's the christmas book. I made the mistake of just readin it to DD b/c i have heard so much about it. The child lives in a hotel with her nanny and her mom is calling from another country on christmas eve. i couldn't beleive it. dd was all confused so i had to try and explain what a nanny was and why the girls mother wasn't around.

i hate the disney books, new pooh, arrgghh someone gave dd a barbie book, one that was made into a movie what trashy drivel!!! poorly written books. I think kids books should be well written and have nice illustrations.

I do like go dogs go it was one of my favorites as a kid and dd loves it. the hat part is cool. dd puts all sorts of things on her head and says "do you like my hat"

i hate all the religous books we have, my mom got her all these "what are angels like" what is god like "what is prayer" and i was just reading what is god like tonight thinking man this one has to go, i can't read this stuff to her i don't believe it "i am the creator, i am the ruler" cute pictures but i just don't feel right reading it to her, i need to unteach what i'm saying. oh and someone got her this four pack of angel books from the dollar store and they are so dumb. they say rainbows are from ana ngel painting the sky, snowflakes are cut out of soft tissue paper by angels..jesus is it any wonder kids have sych a hard time in school when early books are full of lies??

that said we have recently come across two good books
big sister now a story about me and our new baby. the mom breastfeeds in the book. i find it so realistic to our live with a new babe and a big sister. the illustration sare super cute. their house is messy, how great is that after all thes books with new moms and clean houses. the only thing is there is a box of sosies in one picture and there are bottles all over the house. but no bottle feeding.overall i love it. oh crib, and the new mother of an obviosuley brand new baby is skinny.(but maybe i am touchy about that right now)
the other which is an absolute favortie is Skippyjon jones, what an all around GREAT book!!!!
post #128 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Ok well we (Australians) spell 'presently' and 'currently' exactly like that. Just check if it was printed in/ or written by someone Australian or English before thinking it's a spelling error. Petter rabbit was writen by betrix Potter who was English. We also say colour instead of color, so don't asume everyone spells the same as you yanks I know my spelling isn't great either, but it may not be as bad as you think
I don't think it was a spelling issue. (Those are the spellings I've always seen in the U.S. as well.) I think the problems were using "presently" over and over again within a short amount of text and using "presently" and "currently" in the same sentence, even though they meant basically the same thing in the sentence (as if you were to write/say, "Immediately, he did it right away," or "She quickly asked the question speedily.").
post #129 of 169
I was really surprised by how much I hate the Richard Scarry books, because I loved them soooo much when I was a kid. They are so incredibly boring to read out loud. And ditto The Berenstain Bears, plus I hate how the dad is so weak and bumbling. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I do, however, love Goodnight Moon. One of my favorites to read to the kids going to bed at night.
post #130 of 169
+

Wasn't Beatrix Potter (author of Peter Rabbit) British? If so, it would make sense that "presently" and "currently" were used in the same sentence. In British English, "presently" means something more like "next" or "in a little while" rather than being a synonym for "currently". So if it was the original story (or a British re-write), that would make sense.

God bless,
icxcnika
post #131 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
Hey, get a load of this book -- it's one of those Little Golden Books.

Look inside here and here too.

Okay, now look at this very, very funny parody. Same illustrations -- creepy eyes and all -- and very different text.

Little Golden Book About Zogg

i have that book, and i love eloise wilkins illustrations...... one of my favorite books with her illustrations was "we like kindergarten" ..... her books go for a killing on ebay too
post #132 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
I have to say that even after having taught English for ten years, even after having gotten an M.A. in the subject from a selective private university, and even after being one of those picky people to whom Eats Shoots and Leaves was basically a waste of time because, well, nothing in it was new to me, I never heard of there being a problem with luckily. Hopefully, yes. People misuse that one regularly in sentences like, "Hopefully, my car will be out of the shop by Tuesday." Unless you mean that your car will be "full of hope" AND in good repair too, you should probably use another word or phrase such as, "With luck," or "If all goes well." Would you mind explaining what the problem is with luckily?

Now back to our regularly scheduled bickering.
I dunno. Twas from my bro back when he was taking all the AP classes he could get his mitts on and lecturing to his silly older sister already attending university.

Also I might have remembered wrong. wrongly? not remembered correctly? After all, that was when we were in school, and we are currently LOL 34 and 36.

Adverbs schmadverbs, I hate 'em!
post #133 of 169
Thomas the Tank Engine bothered me until I realized that DS thinks James, Percy & Edward are 'girl trains'... somehow that made it better.

Calliou went to the second hand store within a week. 'Little Sister' was like a training manual for abusing the new baby.

I like Goodnight Moon... every couple of pages I growl "Goodnight kids!" as if I'm growing increasingly frustrated with their still-awake status. They think it's hillarious.
post #134 of 169
The free Barney book from the hospital LOL.
post #135 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaGjr
why don't you like the giving tree? i find it depressing but kind of realistic!
its not so much that the boy is a user (taking from the tree without ever giving back or showing any true apperciation) but the tree (personofied as a woman) only finds value in being used by the boy/man. So many women are like that. Can never be happy unless some ungrateful jerk is using them to the point of abuse.

perhaps I am reading too much into it . . . .
post #136 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
its not so much that the boy is a user (taking from the tree without ever giving back or showing any true apperciation) but the tree (personofied as a woman) only finds value in being used by the boy/man. So many women are like that. Can never be happy unless some ungrateful jerk is using them to the point of abuse.

perhaps I am reading too much into it . . . .
lol... I do this all the time... DD actually got mad at me recently (we were reading Rupert the Bear and I was explaining that despite the lack of girls in the story - girls can have adventures too) and she said "Mother, some books are just silly fun - there is not always a DEEPER SOCIAL MEANING."

Seems she's picking up on the lingo, even if she disputes my analysis
post #137 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
but the tree (personofied as a woman) only finds value in being used by the boy/man.
Whoa! I can see why you don't like it then. that is deep !

I have never thought of the tree as a woman...I guess I wasn't paying attention

I hope I will be able to read this book again someday....
post #138 of 169
Quote from the book (I assume the beginning?) from Amazon.com...

'Once there was a tree...and she loved a little boy.'


Wow there are 442 reviews of it on Amazon....sure does make people talk!
post #139 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh
i have that book, and i love eloise wilkins illustrations...... one of my favorite books with her illustrations was "we like kindergarten" ..... her books go for a killing on ebay too
I love her illustrations, too. Some of those are still in print, in board books even.
post #140 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
Quote from the book (I assume the beginning?) from Amazon.com...

'Once there was a tree...and she loved a little boy.'


Wow there are 442 reviews of it on Amazon....sure does make people talk!

WOW! I just broke the book out and thumbed through it. She and her is littered throughout! I guess I have been subconsciously in denial!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life with a Toddler
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › 'Fess up - what children's books make you groan?