or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › 'Fess up - what children's books make you groan?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Fess up - what children's books make you groan? - Page 8

post #141 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilydhmama
lol... I do this all the time... DD actually got mad at me recently (we were reading Rupert the Bear and I was explaining that despite the lack of girls in the story - girls can have adventures too) and she said "Mother, some books are just silly fun - there is not always a DEEPER SOCIAL MEANING."

Seems she's picking up on the lingo, even if she disputes my analysis
Hey, we all know that Green Eggs and Ham is really a politically liberal polemic against racial and religious prejudice.


To wit:

The protagonist of the book, whom I will call Black Hat, is clearly prejudiced against the green eggs and ham. Quite obviously, the milieu in which the dish is presented is not his issue -- he "would not like them in a box" and "would not like them in the car...in a boat...on the train," and so on. Moreover, it is not the company with which he could theoretically eat the aforementioned dish: Black Hat repeatedly states he "would not eat them with a fox...with a mouse...with a goat," and so on.

In the penultimate scene of the book, we learn in fact that it is not a previous negative experience with the GE&H that causes Black Hat's antipathy: indeed, when he tries them, he eagerly admits "They are so good, so good, you see." Not only has he apparently never tried them before, but when he does, he finds them savory.

When we eliminate all of these commonsense reasons for disliking a food, the only thing we're really left with as a basis of Black Hat's unreasonable prejudice is a very simple one:

COLOR. That's right, COLOR.

It would be sufficient to communicate this point if the eggs alone were green, but as Sam-I-Am repeatedly points out, the eggs AND ham are both the "offensive" color. The reason for the ham is clear: it is an allusion to religious prejudice. The author has clearly chosen a form of symbolic inversion (by which something is represented by its opposite) to represent prejudice against the group whose most notable dietary laws prohibit the consumption of pork, green or otherwise: Muslims and Jews.

The messages of the book are clear. Judge not by the color of the eggs, but by the content of their flavor. They are so good, so good, you see!

AND

Don't be an anti-SAMite.
post #142 of 169
I am just sick of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.......But that's because each of our three kids have latched onto it for some freaking reason...for months at a time, repeatedly Enough to drive one insane
post #143 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
Hey, we all know that Green Eggs and Ham is really a politically liberal polemic against racial and religious prejudice.


To wit:

The protagonist of the book, whom I will call Black Hat, is clearly prejudiced against the green eggs and ham. Quite obviously, the milieu in which the dish is presented is not his issue -- he "would not like them in a box" and "would not like them in the car...in a boat...on the train," and so on. Moreover, it is not the company with which he could theoretically eat the aforementioned dish: Black Hat repeatedly states he "would not eat them with a fox...with a mouse...with a goat," and so on.

In the penultimate scene of the book, we learn in fact that it is not a previous negative experience with the GE&H that causes Black Hat's antipathy: indeed, when he tries them, he eagerly admits "They are so good, so good, you see." Not only has he apparently never tried them before, but when he does, he finds them savory.

When we eliminate all of these commonsense reasons for disliking a food, the only thing we're really left with as a basis of Black Hat's unreasonable prejudice is a very simple one:

COLOR. That's right, COLOR.

It would be sufficient to communicate this point if the eggs alone were green, but as Sam-I-Am repeatedly points out, the eggs AND ham are both the "offensive" color. The reason for the ham is clear: it is an allusion to religious prejudice. The author has clearly chosen a form of symbolic inversion (by which something is represented by its opposite) to represent prejudice against the group whose most notable dietary laws prohibit the consumption of pork, green or otherwise: Muslims and Jews.

The messages of the book are clear. Judge not by the color of the eggs, but by the content of their flavor. They are so good, so good, you see!

AND

Don't be an anti-SAMite.
I saw the don't judge on color, but never saw that next step, thanks for pointing it out! Maybe the book has redeeming qualities, though I don't know if it makes up for being WAY to long and boring lol

Any good meanings to One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish? That was my favorite as a kid, but as a mom, is too long for me.
post #144 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
Hey, we all know that Green Eggs and Ham is really a politically liberal polemic against racial and religious prejudice.

I'll mention this to Maia - lol :lo
post #145 of 169
I do a slient groan everytime DS pickes out a Thomas book, but the Mercer Mayer books really erk me for some reason. 'Sometimes, I remember, sometimes I just forget'. I could seriously go forever without reading it again, but DS just loves the pictures!
post #146 of 169
If anyone's worried about the symbolism in The Giving Tree, go get yourself a copy of the original Little Blue Engine that Could. The train that breaks down is female, all the non-helping trains are male, and guess what the LBE is? It's a chick power story in disguise.
post #147 of 169
Curious George. Someone gave us one, and I just don't like the story about how this monkey causes all sorts of trouble and then gets away with it.

I do love Jamberry though - DS loves it, can recite nearly all of it, and it's very cute. I also love Goodnight Moon, but I'm not a huge fan of Runaway Bunny, probably b/c it is long and doesn't rhyme.

DS loves books that rhyme :-)
post #148 of 169
My DD loves Harold and the Purple Crayon, so I got her another Harold book: Harold's Trip to the Sky. Its terrible!
So, Harold draws a desert this time, and gets bored. "Then he remembered how the government has fun on the desert." So then he ends up in space and draws an alien and gets scared, etc. Groan.
post #149 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBMama
My MIL sent this in a big box of books for ds. I didn't skim it before jumping right in and reading it to him, and I started bawling during the last few pages. Too much for this mama...but of course he loves it. Mostly we just read the page about the 2yo tearing up the bathroom, because that's ds!

: OMG, I had to edit so I could quote this! I totally forgot about that and you're so right. :


Okay, nobody flame me for this, because there was a thread a while back about how this was everyone's favorite book, but I hate Go, Dog, Go! It reads like a box of rocks. Clunk. Clunk. Clunk. And the text is bizarre and not at all entertaining.
yep, a big thumbs down on go dog go. i don't like how snotty the poodle is, either. i mean, i know that's the whole point, but nonetheless, i don't like it...

and about i'll love you forever -- i agree about the weirdness of the mother climbing into the adult son's window, etc (a friend said if the genders were reversed -- father and dd -- the book would never fly) but i disagree that just because books deal with death/aging they aren't appropriate for children...
post #150 of 169
i like jamberry but it has one spot where the rhythm or the rhyme is messed up (it's been a couple of years since i read it) but if you just switch the lines on that page it sounds right.

i never thought about some of the stuff you all are mentioning. i guess i'm just not deep. but i want too tell dh NOT to get dd a copy of the giving tree. i was always a little weirded out by how the tree gives and gives and the boy just doesn't care. it always seemed wrong to me, although the everlasting love always got me.
post #151 of 169
I love Love You Forever. I have a tape of Munsch himself reading it to a group of kids - it is wonderful. The way he reads it is totally un-creepy - it's hilarious, then deeply touching. I think he's one of the greatest children's authors.

Personally, I can't stand Dr Seuss. I had nightmares about the Cat in the Hat as a kid, & still hate all his books. Unfortunately though my kids love them and keep getting them from the library.
post #152 of 169
The Belly Button Book by Sandra Boynton - we hid it for a while!

I got rid of one that was about Noah and the Ark - read it once, didn't even finish it and that was the end of that. It was awful - scaring the reader into loving God, following God or else.

Jenn
post #153 of 169
wanted to agree with the no tv-show/movie related books -- boo!
and -- the opposite of someone else's posts -- i like most dr seuss stuff alright -- though he's certainly not my favorite -- but i DO NOT LIKE Mr. Brown Can Moo -- most books i'll read to my daughter 20 times in a row if she wants me to -- that one is soley my dh's domain.
post #154 of 169

wow

i had no idea there were so many haters of Dr. Seuss and Berenstain Bears, or Curious George! LMAO. this is very amusing, this discussion! i do have kindred souls with the hate of the Love you Forever creepy book, so that's good. LOL. here's mine:

hates:
these educational books we got illustrated by mandy stanley (my words, my shapes, my numbers, my colors), while they are great for teaching her things and came with great free posters, i am SOOO freakin tired of them. they don't read, they're picture books! lol.

barney "ready set go" teaches how to do zippers and velcro and tie. i hate barney, so i hate this book.

Are you my mother? --she hated this one since birth, and i swear it fueled her separation anxiety anytime she saw the cover of the thing. lol.



Loves:
Dr. Seuss (when i haven't read it 3x already that day)--also we checked out a copy of the video cartoons -from like the 70's-it's got cat in the hat, green eggs, sneetches and i think one other one, the lorax maybe. she LOVES the green eggs and ham one. it's like 15 minutes long and i confess if i've read it already or have a headache, she gets that one, cause it's pretty much verbatim LOL

The Bear books, by Karma Wilson. Bear wants more, Bear Snores on, Bear stays up for christmas. LOVE LOVE LOVE these books. and the animals in the bear wants more book, on the cover they're doing the sign for "more"--got to love that. love the illustrations by Jane Chapman.


she loves the bear books, they're her favorites. she likes the shorter berenstain bear books, but will sit thru the most annoying strawberry shortcake valentine book that is paragraphs every page, i have no idea why. she doesn't like the cat in the hat much. she loves Good Dog, Carl, and so do I :-) my parents have a rottie and she loves him, he's a big teddybear.

of course, i hate ANY book if i've read it more than 3x in a day. lol.

jen
caitlyn 2/9/04
post #155 of 169
Oh, Goddess, where do I start?!

We have this book called "The Runaway Chick", where the chick gets warned to STAY IN THE YARD, or the bad fox will EAT YOU!!! So, the chick runs away, and then gets all scared but it turns out only to be the family dog coming to rescue it. Then he says "I will NEVER leave the farmyard again!" Pul-eeeze. Don't explore, or horrible things will happen to you! : DS likes it because of the "doggy". Hehe.

I am gonna be unpopular for saying this, but Dr. Seuss makes me want to :Puke I used to love his stuff (for SOME reason! ), but the made up words and rhymes are....*shudder* It bugs me to no end. :

Curious George is awesome (well, I love him anyway!), but have you SEEN some of the things he does?!?!? He gets into the ETHER, and *trips out*!!! WTF?!?!? DH and I were like
He breaks his LEG! He goes into the hospital for surgery because he swallowed a puzzle piece! It's messed up! But, DS loves monkeys and "Dorge!" in particular for some reason. Heh. But some of the stories are kinda scary.

"The Rainbow Fish" makes me : too...like, you have to give people stuff or they won't like you! Someone else already mentioned it but I had to as well.

"Five Little Monkeys"...jump on the bed, have fun, and get hurt. But hey, they all sleep in bed together, yay co-sleeping! (I like "Ten in the Bed" for this reason as well. But we're talking about books we DON'T like! )

The Gingerbread Man is kinda creepy. "Snap, snap, GULP!" :

Frog and Toad are DH's favorite stories of all time. But I think Toad is a jerk.

Some Sandra Boynton books make me want to find her and
Two that come to mind are "Birthday Monsters" and "Snuggle Puppy". Yarg.
But I like some of her other ones.

Okay, enough out of me! Fun thread!
post #156 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
I had to go find it; the books that he loves drive me so crazy that DH is now the reader.

It's got a bit of a rhythm going, you know, "a comb and a brush and a bowl full of mush, And a quiet old lady who was whispering 'hush'"...and it's fun to say, you're sort of going circular with your voice, it's fun.

Then "goodnight room, goodnight moon" and all of a sudden..."goodnight cow jumping over the moon"?

What the? Moon and moon rhyme, I'll give you that. But you're not *supposed* to use the same word...:

The book is tripping lightly over my tongue and then it just goes clunk. ugh.
It goes MUCH more smoothly if you take a good pause after the word "cow". So it goes "Goodnight cow...jumping over the moon". I have actually always LIKED that particular set of lines.

Books I hate:

YES the "Love you Forever" and it was given by the hospital as a "first book". W.T.F. They also gave a "Spot" book and it is horrid.

I detest with a passion any book based on a Disney movie. They are horribly written and unnecessarily wordy.

I also dislike books with too many characters and too much dialogue, like the newer Winnie the Pooh books.

They took some out of the Dr. Seuss books when they made them board books and this makes some of them more bearable because the originals are pretty long. But they ditched the "Vug Under the Rug" which was a favorite line of ours, and the kids seemed to find it therapeutic to talk about a 'scary' and make fun of it like that.
post #157 of 169
Little Critter- Mercer Mayer books. They truly make me nauseous, so of course dd wants to read them over and over. She gets an evil grin when she pulls out one of the books I hate. I hide them, throw them away, and they keep turning up. I think bad books sneak under the couch and reproduce.
post #158 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Faery
Some Sandra Boynton books make me want to find her and
Two that come to mind are "Birthday Monsters" and "Snuggle Puppy". Yarg.
But I like some of her other ones.
I didn't care for Snuggle Puppy when I first saw it. I couldn't figure out how to read it, because I couldn't find the rhythm. Then we got Philadelphia Chickens, one of her CDs, and it has Snuggle Puppy as a song. Now that I know how to sing it, I love the book. And ds is so cute when he chimes in on the "oooo"s.
post #159 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortelliniMama
I didn't care for Snuggle Puppy when I first saw it. I couldn't figure out how to read it, because I couldn't find the rhythm. Then we got Philadelphia Chickens, one of her CDs, and it has Snuggle Puppy as a song. Now that I know how to sing it, I love the book. And ds is so cute when he chimes in on the "oooo"s.
Ohmigosh! There's a CD?!?!?! Now *that* I could get into! *grin*
post #160 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Faery
Ohmigosh! There's a CD?!?!?! Now *that* I could get into! *grin*
OT, but there are samples of the songs at Amazon. She also has Rhinoceros Tap and Dog Train. (No samples on the Dog Train page. I don't care for it as much as the previous two, either. Maybe I just haven't listened to it enough?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life with a Toddler
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › 'Fess up - what children's books make you groan?