Ooops, I missed the "happily unmarried" part of your signture block. Thanks for not taking offense.
I'm glad you are leaning towards having it checked. I know it's a balancing act since the job change may affect your insurance. It does occur to me that if you currently have insurance that the next carrier might not be able to deny coverage due to a pre-existing condition. I don't know if that is a Massachusetts or a Federal law. I forget whether that also means that there is no "waiting period" on eligibility for the new policy; that might not be controlled by law but rather by the employer's internal rules.
Obviously you can't ask your current or potential new employer too many pointed questions. But you may want to consider doing some online research since the insurance issue obviously affects the financial aspect of your decision.
Not to be an alarmist but since reading your original post I have seen one or two postings on these boards (or maybe a different set of boards), that notes "Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC)" can be confused for Mastitis and unnecessarily delay a correct diagnosis.
Here is a link to the IBC Research Foundation site.http://www.ibcresearch.org/
One more point, since your DS is older, 17 months, and presumably getting most of his nutrition from solids then it may not be the end of the world if you had to wean him off of the affected breast. I would think there's a good chance you could still nurse him on the other side.
I had my lump removal last Friday and 19 month old DD has been limited to the right side ever since. She has taken it much better than I expected. Occasionally when she asks for the other side I have to remind her I've got a boo boo and then she goes back to the right side.
At the risk of seeming pushy or intrusive I would really encourage you to get started on this sooner rather than later. JMO.
Good luck and please keep us posted. ~Cath