or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm thrilled! Mumps keeps spreading!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm thrilled! Mumps keeps spreading! - Page 9

post #161 of 550
Perhaps my English brain is too strong today, and my Amerish brain isn't working well, but I can't figure out what you mean?

Mumps is one of the unknown Diseases?

.

Why are you even bothered about your children near people of child bearing age. Are they all non-immune and unvaccinated?

Supporting the immune system and dealing with the disease = the sticky up above, Nutrition and immunity 101.

Richella, bacteriophages are a virus that invades bacteria, and many diseases like cholera, diphtheria, scarlet fever (and now some bright spark thinks meningococcal meningitis) are only "operative", not when you have the bacteria, but when you have the phage. Which they think comes in cycles.
post #162 of 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
had a conversation with a woman who said "We have mumps up in Iowa. It's at epidemic proportions."

I said "not that I want my kids to catch the mumps , but I wouldn't be upset if they did."

She said "I think it's the unvaccinated kids that are spreading it."
( she spoke politely , just voicing her opinion. Repeating ,I'm sure what she's heard on the news. She was oblivious to my stance)

I said "Well lemme ask you this...do you think you have that many unvaccinated children up there ? Or do you think the vaccine is failing those who have had it ?"

She sat there dumbfounded...."I hadn't that of it that way. If they were vaccinated , they shouldn't catch it."

I smiled "exactly. Makes ya think somethin' fishy is goin' on. I won't vaccinated my kids for it."

She nodded "Makes sense. Better to get it and never get it again. Especially when you are young."

Her husband pops up and says "I had a friend die of the measles back in the 40's. Couldn't throw a pin at him without hitting a spot. He was in second grade."

I asked " what other problems did he have ?"

Shaken he said " He had some form of cancer. Don't remember what."

I nodded "yup. Most healthy kids , like yourself , came thru it just fine didn't ya...and your wife over here...she nursed her kids and gave them her immunity until they were out of the danger ages"

They walked away saying "wow. Puts a whole new spin on the whole "you're going to die get your shots today" we've been hearing on the news."

baaaaa


post #163 of 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Perhaps my English brain is too strong today, and my Amerish brain isn't working well, but I can't figure out what you mean?

Mumps is one of the unknown Diseases?
I'm just guessing, but I think she may mean one of the diseases we don't "see" too often.
post #164 of 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Perhaps my English brain is too strong today, and my Amerish brain isn't working well, but I can't figure out what you mean?

Mumps is one of the unknown Diseases?

.

Why are you even bothered about your children near people of child bearing age. Are they all non-immune and unvaccinated?

Supporting the immune system and dealing with the disease = the sticky up above, Nutrition and immunity 101.

Richella, bacteriophages are a virus that invades bacteria, and many diseases like cholera, diphtheria, scarlet fever (and now some bright spark thinks meningococcal meningitis) are only "operative", not when you have the bacteria, but when you have the phage. Which they think comes in cycles.
Before I edited my original post in this thread, I included a line that said, "I'm a mother, not a scientist." I wish I'd left it in. Your tone is not appreciated, nor was your response helpful to me. Your reply is a perfect example of why I tend not to post in this forum and do a lot of searching and digging on my own when other knowledgeable and helpful people could give me an answer much more quickly.

LongIsland - Yes. That is what I meant. To elaborate, I'm familiar with the common cold, croup, strep, asthma, influenza and barfing. I am not familiar with Mumps, Measles, Rubella, Polio, TB, smallpox, and a host of other things I've neither had nor seen nor dealt with. So, for me, they are in a class of "Unknown Diseases" for me and for a lot of people I know. I am new to the idea of not vaccinating and recognize that a big part of my alarm at the news of an "outbreak" of one of those illnesses is because it is unfamiliar to me and because I don't know what to do if my child becomes ill with one of those. I KNOW what to do about croup and barfing and strep and so forth.

MT - I don't know that the women in my family are immune to Rubella or that their fetuses would be guarded against exposure to Rubella. I do care about other people and their health and don't believe all vaccinations to be 100% harmful, useless or irresponsible. While it may not be logical or reasonable, I would feel responsible if someone died or suffered long-term, irreversible damage because of my decision not to vaccinate my child.

One issue with mumps being in our area is this (and I apologize for not emphasizing this in my previous post): My husband is not as opposed to routine vaccinations as I am. I have delayed and delayed so I could educate myself on this issue. While we're not fighting about it, if it were up to my husband, our child would probably have all his shots. I sometimes need help putting this information into easily digestible nuggets for the both of us so we can see the pros and cons and the course of treatment for infection or preparation for vaccination.

I'm still interested in the answer to this question, as well:
Also, the statistic someone posted a few pages ago about 83% being vaxed? Is there a link to that information? I'm not finding it on my own.
post #165 of 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie
Before I edited my original post in this thread, I included a line that said, "I'm a mother, not a scientist." I wish I'd left it in. Your tone is not appreciated, nor was your response helpful to me. Your reply is a perfect example of why I tend not to post in this forum and do a lot of searching and digging on my own when other knowledgeable and helpful people could give me an answer much more quickly.
Aaah, but you see . . . you are overreacting. Here's why. If you knew MT, you would know she meant absolutely no disrespect. When MT writes, she write in order to make people think. It wouldn't have mattered if you were a scientist . . . she still would have written the same thing.

Besides, even with my "translation," the question she asked is indeed valid.
post #166 of 550
Here's the thing, though. If you knew me, you'd know that I AM thinking. That I was up til the wee hours last night looking for answers to my questions trying my very best to avoid posting questions here because I get a similar response most of the time when I ask a question in this forum. But I found conflicting reports, confusing information and needed a bit of clarification. I didn't ask without searching and Googling and hitting archives. A forum search led me to this post, actually.
post #167 of 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie
MT - I don't know that the women in my family are immune to Rubella or that their fetuses would be guarded against exposure to Rubella. I do care about other people and their health and don't believe all vaccinations to be 100% harmful, useless or irresponsible. While it may not be logical or reasonable, I would feel responsible if someone died or suffered long-term, irreversible damage because of my decision not to vaccinate my child.

Well, now this begs the question: will you get the Tdap vaccine in order to protect the herd? What if you as an adult give pertussis to an infant and that infant later dies? What if your vaxed child gives pertussis to someone who later dies? Would you also feel irresponsible in these two scenerios?

Something to think about.

I agree though . . . it wouldn't be logical or reasonable.
post #168 of 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie
I'm still interested in the answer to this question, as well:
Also, the statistic someone posted a few pages ago about 83% being vaxed? Is there a link to that information? I'm not finding it on my own.
One of the pp's mistakenly wrote 83% -- it's actually 74% with one or more doses.

See post #154 on the previous page for the vaccination status breakdown. Note that this information will be updated tomorrow, so check back here b/c the percentage will likely increase.
post #169 of 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
One of the pp's mistakenly wrote 83% -- it's actually 74% with one or more doses.

See post #154 on the previous page for the vaccination status breakdown. Note that this information will be updated tomorrow, so check back here b/c the percentage will likely increase.
Thank you.
post #170 of 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
Well, now this begs the question: will you get the Tdap vaccine in order to protect the herd? What if you as an adult give pertussis to an infant and that infant later dies? What if your vaxed child gives pertussis to someone who later dies? Would you also feel irresponsible in these two scenerios?

Something to think about.

I agree though . . . it wouldn't be logical or reasonable.
No, I would likely not get the vaccination for pertussis. Of course, my adverse reaction to the vax as a child (though I'm sure it was a different cocktail when I was a youngster, was it not?) would prevent me from accepting that shot. That vax is one we won't be getting for our son. Regarding the last scenario, I would feel bad for not keeping a sick child home, perhaps, but that brings up a good point.

Part of my struggle with the vax issue is that not vaxing feels like INACTION and vaxing feels PROACTIVE. That's a feeling and I recognize that. Which is why I've been educating myself and picking apart this information for over three years now. I've been a mother 12 years, and a skeptical, almost non-vaxer for only three of those.

Also, when I said, "While it may not be logical or reasonable, I would feel responsible if someone died or suffered long-term, irreversible damage because of my decision not to vaccinate my child." I'm including my child as a possible "someone". For me, it sometimes comes down to which "WHAT IF" I'm willing to live with. "What if vaccinating him is the reason he has [autism, lupus, asthma]?" OR "What if vaccinating would have saved him from [hearing loss, sterility, death]?"

Hopefully that gives you an idea of where I'm at. I apologize for derailing this thread.
post #171 of 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie
For me, it sometimes comes down to which "WHAT IF" I'm willing to live with. "What if vaccinating him is the reason he has [autism, lupus, asthma]?" OR "What if vaccinating would have saved him from [hearing loss, sterility, death]?"

Hopefully that gives you an idea of where I'm at. I apologize for derailing this thread.
I understand what you're saying . . . and there are many out there who feel the same way as you - vaxers and nonvaxers.

And please don't apologize - your posts are completely relevant to this thread.
post #172 of 550
Chellemarie, I don't think you're derailing this thread at all! You are learning and that is what is important... I agree with LI that MT was not trying to be disrespectful with her questions... I was a little confused too! But it's cleared up now...

Of course we all want to do the right thing! I do think people need to take responsibility for their own health. If they are eating properly and taking care of themselves, none of these illnesses should pose a huge threat. So, you can't feel completely responsible if someone else comes down with something that your child (or you) has.

As far as feeling like vaxing is proactive, you can take that and turn it into what I said above: eating properly and taking care of yourselves is what I see as proactive. Vaxing can be seen as adding a burden (or burdens!) to society as the health care system folds under the weight of all the chronic illnesses (autoimmune diseases) that so many people are getting as a result of our immune systems fighting themselves in response to all the vaccines. Does that make sense? (I started this thought about 45 minutes ago, so I hope it is all clear! )
post #173 of 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammom
As far as feeling like vaxing is proactive, you can take that and turn it into what I said above: eating properly and taking care of yourselves is what I see as proactive. Vaxing can be seen as adding a burden (or burdens!) to society as the health care system folds under the weight of all the chronic illnesses (autoimmune diseases) that so many people are getting as a result of our immune systems fighting themselves in response to all the vaccines. Does that make sense? (I started this thought about 45 minutes ago, so I hope it is all clear! )
post #174 of 550
Thread Starter 
Quote:
from the CDC http://www.phppo.cdc.gov/HAN/Archive...AlertNum=00243 5. Exclusion of persons without evidence of immunity to mumps from institutions such as schools and colleges affected by a mumps outbreak (and other, unaffected institutions judged by local public health authorities to be at risk for transmission of disease) should be considered. Once vaccinated, students can be readmitted to school. The period of exclusion for those that remain unvaccinated should be for at least 25 days after the onset of parotitis in the last person with mumps in the affected institution
: They can kick you out of school for not being vaxed??? That's not right! Has this been discussed yet? Sorry if I missed it.

Hey, for all you other Wisconsonites, there is one confirmed case of Mumps in Dane County! http://www.madison.k12.wi.us/topics/mumps/
post #175 of 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride
: They can kick you out of school for not being vaxed??? That's not right! Has this been discussed yet? Sorry if I missed it.
That's far from the worst of what's not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride
Hey, for all you other Wisconsonites, there is one confirmed case of Mumps in Dane County! http://www.madison.k12.wi.us/topics/mumps/
: Oh my! The horror! I am locking the doors now!!






post #176 of 550
Once vaccinated, students can be readmitted to school.


So I suppose "once vaccinated," the MMR vaccine instantly provides protection and it's safe to go back to class, hmmm?
post #177 of 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
Once vaccinated, students can be readmitted to school.


So I suppose "once vaccinated," the MMR vaccine instantly provides protection and it's safe to go back to class, hmmm?
I was dying when the news was freaking out and saying if you think you might have been exposed that you need to get vaxed asap. That's hilarious! As if it would make it go away if you were already infected! :
post #178 of 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
Once vaccinated, students can be readmitted to school.


So I suppose "once vaccinated," the MMR vaccine instantly provides protection and it's safe to go back to class, hmmm?
Morons.:
And they wonder how we have the audacity to question them.
post #179 of 550
To the poster who thinks she is protecting her children from shingles by vaccinating them against chickenpox... from the reports to VAERS, it looks like vaccinating is actually putting them more at risk for shingles, and at a MUCH YOUNGER age than if they would have had natural chickenpox...

Shingles are listed in VAERS reports, and not only in the child! Several reports of the PARENT getting shingles after the child was vaxed!!

http://www.medalerts.org/vaersdb/index.html
post #180 of 550
i was pleased because at first when the news was reporting on it here they would say something like: mumps can cause discomfort, fever and swollen glands. if you have mumps there is nothing you can do to speed it up or make it go away just get plenty of rest and fluids.

then shortly after the tone changed completely and its all about getting vaccinated. ugh...
its really rediculous.
id really like to know who is behind the change...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm thrilled! Mumps keeps spreading!