I know it's common that peds put kids on this long term. The package insert says 2 weeks for a reason... because a small percentage of it is being absorbed even by healthy gut kids. Here is a discussion centered on kids with damaged digestion (which personally I think constipation is as well):
|I have a mom friend whose daughter entered an autistic state while on Miralax (she was SID only). She took her to the ER where they diagnosed "Miralax toxicity". She has made friends with a doc who got into the medical journals/studies on PEG and she is going to send me the info on it. Basically about 4 percent of PEG IS absorbed. So if you think of our leaky gut kiddo's -- are they absorbing even more than this? The literature on PEG states that it is nephrotoxic if absorbed by the body. That means it is toxic to the kidneys. Given our kids issues already, it is no wonder that it probably doesn't take much to damage their liver and kidneys even further.
One neurologist hypothesized that the PEG entered the bloodstream, where it drew water towards it, thus pulling salt away from the brain (cerebral salt-wasting condition) and resulted in the neurological changes. Some other reports she has say that when they studied PEG toxicity in rabbits-- they all died of renal failure. So I guess I am fortunate that I put two and two together with Ethan and that he was only on it for two months before something REALLY bad happened to him.