or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe ~ May
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Healing the Gut Tribe ~ May - Page 12

post #221 of 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I'm doing the blue ice high vitamin stuff. Just ordered a case of it... I just ordered a gallon of co and some other stuff. DH really shouldn't go out for the evening and leave me home alone with my computer... I order in quantity cause it is cheapest that way. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Cool! Thanks for the info! My DH is out of town for another two weeks-look out-I am thinking of a dehydrator.....
post #222 of 1002
Okay, my son's sleeping has deteriorated and I'm a wreck! He usually nurses or cries out every two-three hours all night, and now it's about every hour or so. He doesn't fully wake up, but of course I do! I don't know how other mamas say they don't even wake up to nurse...I'm awake the whole time.

I've been taking enzymes before every meal for a week now...could this be the cause of it? I think someone mentioned the April thread discussing enzymes and BF'ing, but I skimmed that thread last week and I don't remember that discussion. Can anyone tell me the gist of it?

Should I be backing off on the enzymes? If I should be "going slowly" with them, can someone tell me what that means, exactly?

Help!
post #223 of 1002
A few more questions in a different post so they don't get lost...

Regarding CLO -- I think I understood some people to say that they buy different brands depending on whether or not they need certain amounts of the fatty acids, and then just supplement with vitamin A & D separately if the CLO has low amounts of those. Is that correct? And does that have to do with whether or not you're nursing/pregnant/trying to heal a condition or not? I'm about to order the Blue Ice (I am nursing)...does that sound okay? And should I be giving CLO to my son separately or is it enough that I'm taking it?

Regarding probiotics -- I'm taking capsules right now, but I'd like to start making kefir and yogurt. Does anyone have any recommendations for packets of probiotics -- brands, where to buy?

Regarding CO -- I have a jar of Nutiva EVCO and have started using it (DH used it to replace soy butter in chocolate chip cookies last night -- obviously I'm not on SCD). I'd like to try the refined as well, for times when we don't want things to taste coconut-y. Does refined have the same health benefits? Any recommendations on brands of refined CO?

Thanks!
post #224 of 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
Okay, my son's sleeping has deteriorated and I'm a wreck! He usually nurses or cries out every two-three hours all night, and now it's about every hour or so. He doesn't fully wake up, but of course I do! I don't know how other mamas say they don't even wake up to nurse...I'm awake the whole time.

I've been taking enzymes before every meal for a week now...could this be the cause of it? I think someone mentioned the April thread discussing enzymes and BF'ing, but I skimmed that thread last week and I don't remember that discussion. Can anyone tell me the gist of it?

Should I be backing off on the enzymes? If I should be "going slowly" with them, can someone tell me what that means, exactly?

Help!
It really could be the enzymes. For me going slowly has meant 1/2 a capsule 2x a day. I'm waiting untill that causes no stomache issues at all before moving on to more.
post #225 of 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
A few more questions in a different post so they don't get lost...

Regarding CLO -- I think I understood some people to say that they buy different brands depending on whether or not they need certain amounts of the fatty acids, and then just supplement with vitamin A & D separately if the CLO has low amounts of those. Is that correct? And does that have to do with whether or not you're nursing/pregnant/trying to heal a condition or not? I'm about to order the Blue Ice (I am nursing)...does that sound okay? And should I be giving CLO to my son separately or is it enough that I'm taking it?

Regarding probiotics -- I'm taking capsules right now, but I'd like to start making kefir and yogurt. Does anyone have any recommendations for packets of probiotics -- brands, where to buy?

Regarding CO -- I have a jar of Nutiva EVCO and have started using it (DH used it to replace soy butter in chocolate chip cookies last night -- obviously I'm not on SCD). I'd like to try the refined as well, for times when we don't want things to taste coconut-y. Does refined have the same health benefits? Any recommendations on brands of refined CO?

Thanks!
CLO- He will get some from your bm. I assume that if you have a lot of healing to do/high need for it you may pass on less but I'm not sure. I started giving it to my dd when she was about 12 months old and she loved it.

CO- I have the spectrum organic refined and it tastes like nothing. I read that the health benefits are similar with refined vs unrefined but perhaps somewhat less in the refined.
post #226 of 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
It really could be the enzymes. For me going slowly has meant 1/2 a capsule 2x a day. I'm waiting untill that causes no stomache issues at all before moving on to more.
Thank you so much for your quick response -- I have been taking three-four tablets a day! But does it make sense that he's sleeping much worse in the past few nights than he did earlier in the week, since I started taking the enzymes a week ago?
post #227 of 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
Okay, my son's sleeping has deteriorated and I'm a wreck! He usually nurses or cries out every two-three hours all night, and now it's about every hour or so. He doesn't fully wake up, but of course I do! I don't know how other mamas say they don't even wake up to nurse...I'm awake the whole time.

I've been taking enzymes before every meal for a week now...could this be the cause of it? I think someone mentioned the April thread discussing enzymes and BF'ing, but I skimmed that thread last week and I don't remember that discussion. Can anyone tell me the gist of it?

Should I be backing off on the enzymes? If I should be "going slowly" with them, can someone tell me what that means, exactly?

Help!
When I first started enzymes, about 2 1/2 days after I started my 4 month old DD become very very cranky--she normally takes 4-5 really short naps every day, and now it was taking 45-60 minutes to fight her down for each one of those naps, plus she was tired and cranky once she woke up (fortunately it didn't affect her night-time sleeping or I would have gone stark raving mad!). This continued for 5 days while I was still taking the enzymes...on the fifth day I stopped taking them in the afternoon and she was fine the next day. So I definitely think sleep issues can be caused by the enzmes and they may go away right away if you stop them.

Going slowly--the recommendations are to start with 1/2 cap (when I re-started enzymes I did 1/4 cap) with 2 meals a day, do that for a couple of days, and then do 1/2 cap with each meal, and then 1/2 with each meal and snack, then go to 1 cap with 2 meals a day...you get the idea. It took me almost a week to get up to 1/4 cap with each meal and snack and it hasn't affected DD's sleep or behavior this time, although it seems to have given her an eczema flare-up.
post #228 of 1002
I am new and just lurking. I don't really understand what all is eliminated on this diet. So, forgive me if I am out in left field. But, we had major sleep issues when ds was younger and we identified many food ingredients which were culprits. Dairy was the worst offender for gassy distress. We were not using raw milk, however. Wheat caused our son to draw up his legs and move them constantly while sleeping. He would lay with his legs pulled up under his abdomen/chest and apply pressure to his belly, while trying to sleep. When we eliminated the wheat, the duration of his sleep cycles increased from 50 minutes to 2-3 hours duration. He was an avid night nurser until I read the No Cry Sleep Solutionand identified additional sleep associations to include during his first sleep cycle. (how they fall asleep is how they need help getting back to sleep) I also find that some orange juice, due to the potassium helps with restless legs.

Also, if I consumed any chocolate or caffeine after about 3pm, he would be bothered (through my breastmilk). We also avoid artificial colors and flavors and preservatives due to increasing restlessness and irritability.

And I assume CLO is cod liver oil and we use Berry Keen strawberry flavor and our son loves the flavor.

HTH, Pat
post #229 of 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Ok so after talking about my "dd won't go to sleep" woes someone on another board mentioned that she may have restless leg syndrome. I looked it up. Sounds like me. Of course the two main determining factors are genetics esp if mom had it and low iron (I have low iron and suspect that she does too) Sooo... How can I improve her iron? I'm doing bone broths. I'm doing red meat several times a week. Do I really have to quit my one cup of tea every morning? Is there anything I/we can take? I really should do the raw liver but I'm really not sure where to get grass fed liver. Hmmmm....

I really do think that this co is a key for us, but I'm going mad with lack of sleep.
Restless legs is not genetic I think... if the mom has a magnesium or other deficiency, so will the babe. Hopefully someone else will have iron ideas for you. I'm a different person for sure for lack of sleep b/c of DS. It's effected every part of my life and it ain't pretty.
post #230 of 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles
I am still trying to figure out if there are any other signs of imbalance. The poops actually look good otherwise. They are usually firm and brown except when he eats lots of sweet potatoes . The sleep and gas are the ones making me wonder.Oh, another thing that makes me think of it is he had some dairy formula for a few months. I had major milk supply issues and was not able to get bm from anyone else. He also had difficulty w/ dairy in my diet (although he had dairy formula as the soy really scared me) that went away after s few months. Could I have really messed up his system? Like I said, I grasp at anything I come along that says it might affect sleep. I soooo want to figure it out as I am one tired mama. I have recently started him on the Nordic Naturals children's clo capsules. It says they are not for children under 2 but I have been giving him half a dose. It is two capsules a day. I need to look at what that translates too. Maybe you can give me a better idea of how much of them he would need? I was erring on the side of caution to be safe. Thanks so much for all your replies as I pursue this for both ds and myself.
As far as formula "messing up his system", maybe, but I truly think for formula to be a problem, the system is messed up to begin with and the true issue is deeper than that, ykwim? Not that formula is at all great but I never had major digestive issues until my late 20's and I was raised on evaporated milk and Karo syrup formula from day 1! (Which is not to say that didn't contribute either.) Would exclusive bm have healed him, maybe.

Sleep is regulated by hormones and neurotransmitters directing the brain and central nervous system. All of which the gut and your nutrition has a hand in. It's really hard to say what exactly the issue is for one particular little one ... just watch and rely on your mama intuition.

See cod liver oil dosing recs here:
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html

Capsules might contain gelatin, which contains glutamine, good for the gut but also known to be a stimulant.
post #231 of 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamama
He was an avid night nurser until I read the No Cry Sleep Solutionand identified additional sleep associations to include during his first sleep cycle. (how they fall asleep is how they need help getting back to sleep)
This is a great book. Wish my DH would read it

The "Pantley Pull Off" worked for us quite well. Gradual progress in the right direction works but it takes a lot of patience and commitment to do the same thing and work towards the eventual goal every night. You need to be awake and aware and it's pretty hard sometimes.

And a very important point re: sleep association. I'm about to re-read her new Toddler No Cry book and develop a new plan. DH has taken over some of the nighttime stuff since weaning. But things have only gotten worse b/c DH has no patience for incremental steps. And I'm literally about to lose my mind right now and honestly don't know if I can do what it will take to break all these bad habits.

So everyone, read Pantley's books and do the work to solve sleep issues now or you'll end up like us! Some excerpts on www.Kellymom.com
post #232 of 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
So everyone, read Pantley's books and do the work to solve sleep issues now or you'll end up like us! Some excerpts on www.Kellymom.com

Yes, the sooner the better! I remember reading that she wrote 'if you don't start creating sleep associations while they are very young, you will be working harder to do so when they are 18 months and still waking every hour to nurse'. And I was. I found this book to be a life, and sanity, saver. Yes, it is *harder* to change the habit of only nursing to sleep, than to keep up the habit. But, it is harder to change the habit the longer the habit is kept up.....

Pat
post #233 of 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
This is a great book. Wish my DH would read it

The "Pantley Pull Off" worked for us quite well. Gradual progress in the right direction works but it takes a lot of patience and commitment to do the same thing and work towards the eventual goal every night. You need to be awake and aware and it's pretty hard sometimes.

And a very important point re: sleep association. I'm about to re-read her new Toddler No Cry book and develop a new plan. DH has taken over some of the nighttime stuff since weaning. But things have only gotten worse b/c DH has no patience for incremental steps. And I'm literally about to lose my mind right now and honestly don't know if I can do what it will take to break all these bad habits.

So everyone, read Pantley's books and do the work to solve sleep issues now or you'll end up like us! Some excerpts on www.Kellymom.com
Thanks for your help on my previous questions and for your insight on sleep. I recently used the Dr. Jay Gordon method to nightwean and the nightweaning part went quite well. Unfortunately, the subsequent sleep did not. He still wakes and has to be patted down instead of nursed. This is what makes me wonder if it is something besides habit. I am going to really pay attention to how he acts when he wakes and think a lot more about what we are both eating. I have eliminated wheat for myself as a baby step for my own healing. I will do the same for him and start there. I really appreciate all the stories and suggestions from everyone as it seems we all need a different approach on this journey
As for sleep habits later in childhood, my older son was a good sleeper and went to sleep on his own quite easily from about 7 months on. I could easily get him back into it when made changes from moving, vacations, etc. Now, at 5 he won't go to sleep on his own and when he wakes he calls us. I am going to have to ditto a few of you and blame dh! If you get a good thing going don't let dh turn into too much of a softie like mine and sabotage those good sleep habits.
post #234 of 1002
Also I don't know if my previous post made it clear or not...I forget there are newbies here that might not know our history. There is more to my DS's sleep issues than behavior. As I saw significant sleep problems with myself totally disappear when my gut started healing.

But behavior/habit has something to do with it too.

Now, I'm considering buying one of those horrible race car toddler beds that his friends have...
post #235 of 1002
post #236 of 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles
I recently used the Dr. Jay Gordon method to nightwean and the nightweaning part went quite well. Unfortunately, the subsequent sleep did not. He still wakes and has to be patted down instead of nursed. This is what makes me wonder if it is something besides habit.
This is our story too with DD1. Now at almost 4.5, she STILL wakes at night and needs us. We have kind of grown used to it, but it is annoying. I am a bit at a loss. She does tend to get circles under her eyes too. Not quite sure where to start trying to figure that all out for her, if it is gut related.
post #237 of 1002
Thread Starter 

So I've just finished reading Breaking the Vicious cycle (Yay! It arrived!).
From what I can tell, she's telling me that I'm being more strict than I need to be. It seems that all of the barometers for moving forward in the stages of the diet rely on diarrhea and other acute GI symptoms. I'm starting to wonder if, for treating acne, I should be moving into Stage 4 or 5, and maybe hold the legumes and fried meats for a while, possibly the nuts and nut butters just to be sure. Can anyone offer any guidance?

ETA: I'm still going to stay off any dairy for another couple of weeks.
post #238 of 1002

help!

i
have a call into my primary care provider--my stomach hurts so badly! it's hurt all week--tender, like i'm constipated, but i'm having bms (kinda compacted i guess). maybe it's unrelated to the diet, but i feel like i've been poisoned. i introduced nuts this week, but idn't seemto have a reaction (almond cookies, prepared with NT nuts, and zucchini muffins). midweek (after the pain started) i introduced the tbsp of coconut oil before each meal. maybe that's doing it? i have no idea and i'm so frustrate and in pain! did this tender belly thing happen to anyone else? also, my skin now just sucks. i haven't had zits for months, but now i have a few. why is that happening? i'm worried i've made a bad batch of yogurt somewhere along the way and something wrong is growing in me.

we also still have sleep issues. i'm at a loss with them right now.

and i'm thinking about going more closely with eflf, but i'm so scared to introduce grains at all after doing scd. but i haven't seen as much results with the girls as i'd hoped for. their poos are darker now--a more "normal" color (tho often with a lot of orange since carrots are so easy to prepare). anyway.......
post #239 of 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000

So I've just finished reading Breaking the Vicious cycle (Yay! It arrived!).
From what I can tell, she's telling me that I'm being more strict than I need to be. It seems that all of the barometers for moving forward in the stages of the diet rely on diarrhea and other acute GI symptoms. I'm starting to wonder if, for treating acne, I should be moving into Stage 4 or 5, and maybe hold the legumes and fried meats for a while, possibly the nuts and nut butters just to be sure. Can anyone offer any guidance?

ETA: I'm still going to stay off any dairy for another couple of weeks.
I am considering it for acne and mild intestinal/digestive issues. I was just wondering the same thing after reading it over the past few days.
post #240 of 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolena
i
have a call into my primary care provider--my stomach hurts so badly! it's hurt all week--tender, like i'm constipated, but i'm having bms (kinda compacted i guess). maybe it's unrelated to the diet, but i feel like i've been poisoned. i introduced nuts this week, but idn't seemto have a reaction (almond cookies, prepared with NT nuts, and zucchini muffins). midweek (after the pain started) i introduced the tbsp of coconut oil before each meal. maybe that's doing it? i have no idea and i'm so frustrate and in pain! did this tender belly thing happen to anyone else? also, my skin now just sucks. i haven't had zits for months, but now i have a few. why is that happening? i'm worried i've made a bad batch of yogurt somewhere along the way and something wrong is growing in me.

we also still have sleep issues. i'm at a loss with them right now.

and i'm thinking about going more closely with eflf, but i'm so scared to introduce grains at all after doing scd. but i haven't seen as much results with the girls as i'd hoped for. their poos are darker now--a more "normal" color (tho often with a lot of orange since carrots are so easy to prepare). anyway.......

It's probably the coconut oil. How much did you take? When I first had it I felt sick. And even now after 3 months, if I take too much it makes be so bloated. My tummy gets hard like when you get contractions and I get the burpies really bad, feel like throwing up,.... this happens about 2-4 hrs after eating a lot of CO, so I think by that time it's in the intestines working on the yeast. I think it's a violent die-off reaction. Anyway, it usually lasts for half an hour and then I have a bm and it goes away slowly...
Start with half a teaspoon and then work it up slowly to 3 TBS a day.

I doubt it's the yogurt. But make sure to boil everything that comes in contact with the yogurt. you don't want to grow the bad kind of bacteria.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe ~ May