or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › I don't use carseats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I don't use carseats - Page 15

post #281 of 328
Buses do not have belts...any suggestions?
post #282 of 328
I've been on a city bus with DS1 when he was a baby. First of all, it's pretty impossible to lug around a car seat if you are walking (if the baby is too big for a infant carrier) and of course you can't strap it on the bus. IMO using a car with a car seat is safer, but many people in other countries and low income here in the US can't afford cars.

I think it would be nice if busses had car seats already installed that people could use, of course they won't unless some sort of law was passed.
post #283 of 328
Quote:
Guess whose kids are more likely to be killed....
The one not in a car seat.
post #284 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by srain
I'm a statistician. I look at it differently than most people I guess- and have to roll my eyes at parents who think it's okay to have their kids in traffic five hours a week, but get all aghast at the idea of someone taking a trip to the grocery store without a carseat once a week. Guess whose kids are more likely to be killed....
: My kids are in carseats; I'm absolutely obsessive about it, and I'm still an ultra-cautious driver. Why? Because I'm certian that even in their carseats, the risk to them is much greater than it is to, say, the OP's child. My kids spend a ridiculous amount of time in traffic, because we have to travel at least 2 hours for medical care, among other things. Even making that trip only once or twice a week, that's a heck of a lot of time in traffic. Statistically speaking, it's no big surprise that I've been in two major accidents in two years.
post #285 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
: My kids are in carseats; I'm absolutely obsessive about it, and I'm still an ultra-cautious driver. Why? Because I'm certian that even in their carseats, the risk to them is much greater than it is to, say, the OP's child. My kids spend a ridiculous amount of time in traffic, because we have to travel at least 2 hours for medical care, among other things. Even making that trip only once or twice a week, that's a heck of a lot of time in traffic. Statistically speaking, it's no big surprise that I've been in two major accidents in two years.

I am with you. Amount of time and distance from home have no bearing on accidents, whatsover.

My niece is now 17. When she was 11 mos old, her babysitter took her out without her car seat. The sitter had the baby on her lap, in the front seat of a VW beetle. The sitter's sister was driving, and they got hit head-on in an intersection. Now, they were within a MILE of where my niece lived. My niece was air-lifted to the trauma center, and died 3 times, and was brought back. She spent the next few months in the hospital and rehab center. She had to re-learn to suck, eat, move, crawl, and walk (she was walking). She will never mature past the mental age of 13, if that. She will probably never have a regular job, family or spouse. She will always need to be looked after, because she did get a settlement from the insurance companies and we would not want her to be robbed by someone.

If you love your child, you do what is best for him/her. Public transportation, like buses, I can see where you would not have a car seat. But, there is no excuse for not having one in your car. I do not care if it is just to the store or on a 3 hour trip to the mountains. Accidents happen everywhere. Statistics are just numbers.
post #286 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle
I am with you. Amount of time and distance from home have no bearing on accidents, whatsover.

My niece is now 17.
That's such a tragic story, TinkerBelle.

I have one question, if that's okay. Did the babysitter get charged with a crime? Did she spend time in jail?
post #287 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky
That's such a tragic story, TinkerBelle.

I have one question, if that's okay. Did the babysitter get charged with a crime? Did she spend time in jail?
No, she didn't. I am not sure why. But, I will tell you the girl had some remorse like you wouldn't believe. She saw my mother out and about a few months later and nearly peed herself and ran, because she was so scared Mom would say something to her. She called me and just broke down. I told her that as far as I was concerned, she was forgiven. Now, she needed to forgive herself.

She was a young married woman with a baby of her own. I do not remember what the laws were back in the late 80s, but I know they were not as strict as now, about car seats. At first I wanted to hurt her, but then came to the realization that she did not mean to hurt my niece. She just did something without thinking. She probably thought, "well we are not far from home". Goes to show how that kind of thinking can be deadly.
post #288 of 328
OK, this story is from 20 years ago in Europe, when car seats were not mandatory.

A friend of mine reclined the passenger seat, put her 6 month old lying on it, and put the seatbelt over him Nothing I said could persuade her it was dangerous...
post #289 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by choli
OK, this story is from 20 years ago in Europe, when car seats were not mandatory.

A friend of mine reclined the passenger seat, put her 6 month old lying on it, and put the seatbelt over him Nothing I said could persuade her it was dangerous...
My mother says that 35 years ago, when I was born, there were no seat belt laws in Canada and she had a "car seat" that was practically just a box, that sat on the seat, it didn't even buckle in or anything. If she had to stop quickly, she would reach over and hold me in the box.

I think that this is WHY there are car seat laws now, because of all the lessons learned from being not restrained or improperly restrained in accidents in the past as well as now.
post #290 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by crissei
I know how pathetic this sounds but, I am always fascinated by public transportation when I travel to a city. It is usually my favorite part of the trip, especially the subway system.

Where I live, public transportation involves a dirt road and, a sturdy pair of shoes!
this made me smile.

We recently moved to a city with a great bus system, which ds and I rely on for transportation when dh is at work. Between my toddler and I, I don't know who enjoys it more! I'm just a country mouse at heart, so taking the bus has been VERY exciting for us.
post #291 of 328
Regarding your trip to the states, putting children in carseats, when riding in cars (not buses), is the law here. Like it or not, agree with it or not, it's not changing any time soon. There are agencies which will donate one or two to you, but your children must be in one. I don't take taxis, but I would imagine most taxi drivers, who want to avoid being stopped, will insist that your children be in carseats. Understanding cultural differences and understanding it's cumbersome, etc. I can feel where you're coming from.

HOWEVER, a police officer and the judge will not care...they will not even listen. My advice to you is to be prepared to either put them in seats when you're visiting here, or pay a hefty fine. There are no ifs ands or buts about it.
post #292 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jael
Regarding your trip to the states, putting children in carseats, when riding in cars (not buses), is the law here. Like it or not, agree with it or not, it's not changing any time soon. There are agencies which will donate one or two to you, but your children must be in one. I don't take taxis, but I would imagine most taxi drivers, who want to avoid being stopped, will insist that your children be in carseats. Understanding cultural differences and understanding it's cumbersome, etc. I can feel where you're coming from.

HOWEVER, a police officer and the judge will not care...they will not even listen. My advice to you is to be prepared to either put them in seats when you're visiting here, or pay a hefty fine. There are no ifs ands or buts about it.
It is not against the law to have a carseatless child in a taxi in many states. New York is one.
post #293 of 328
And can someone correct me if I am wrong, but it was also my understanding that passengers, including children, do not have to be buckled in RVs either. Not that I am condoning that practice, just wanted to point out that the law is not that cut and dry.
post #294 of 328
Okay, I don't have time to read all the posts so I don't know if this has been posted

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/...63756/117.html

It's a simple way to carry around toddler seats for trips and stuff. It would be very heavy for me since I have a britax blvd, but most car seats are lighter than that.
post #295 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwebbal
The one not in a car seat.
In any given week? Wrong.
post #296 of 328
The odds of getting into an accident are higher the more you are in a car, but unless you are denying that carseats save lives I don't see how an unrestrained child is more likely to live over a properly restrained child, no matter how often either are in vehicles.

You may only need that carseat once, but you don't know when that once will be.
post #297 of 328
Quote:
The odds of getting into an accident are higher the more you are in a car, but unless you are denying that carseats save lives I don't see how an unrestrained child is more likely to live over a properly restrained child, no matter how often either are in vehicles.

You may only need that carseat once, but you don't know when that once will be.
Exactly, a person who spends more time on the road has higher odds of being in an accident, but it doesn't necessarilyi mean a person who travels farther will. So say a person who spends more time on the road ends up in more accidents than someone who doesn't, but if the kid is in a car seat, the likelihood that they will die is actually pretty low. However, the likelihood that an unrestrained child would die in just the ONLY one accident they get in (because they spend less time on the road) is VERY high. Unrestrained children are more likely to die period, and even in very low speed accidents. The only way to reduce that likelihood is to either put the kid in a car seat, or never travel by car, and for most people the former is a heck of a lot easier option than the latter. I was in a very serious accident just last year, thankfully with just slight injuries to everyone but my son, who had ZERO injuries, in fact the only one who didn't get injured.
post #298 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
It is not against the law to have a carseatless child in a taxi in many states. New York is one.
Actually, it IS against the law in New York, they just don't enforce the law. http://www.saferoads.org/state/CPSbi...tate020802.htm "Requires taxi passengers between ages 4 and 16 to wear seat belts; passengers under 4 must be in a child safety seat"
post #299 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwebbal
Exactly, a person who spends more time on the road has higher odds of being in an accident, but it doesn't necessarilyi mean a person who travels farther will. So say a person who spends more time on the road ends up in more accidents than someone who doesn't, but if the kid is in a car seat, the likelihood that they will die is actually pretty low. However, the likelihood that an unrestrained child would die in just the ONLY one accident they get in (because they spend less time on the road) is VERY high. Unrestrained children are more likely to die period, and even in very low speed accidents. The only way to reduce that likelihood is to either put the kid in a car seat, or never travel by car, and for most people the former is a heck of a lot easier option than the latter. I was in a very serious accident just last year, thankfully with just slight injuries to everyone but my son, who had ZERO injuries, in fact the only one who didn't get injured.
Yup, there was a VERY serious accident in my town a few weeks ago, head on collision with 2 cars. All but two of the people in both cars were killed. The two survivors were an adult and the baby (the mother was killed) The surviving adult had VERY serious injuries and had to be taken by helicopter to a bigger hospital. The baby was out of the hospital in 48 hours, very very very minor injuries, mainly kept for observation. Had that baby not been in a car seat she would have died.
post #300 of 328
What it comes down to for me is this: I couldn't live with myself, ever, if I were in a car accident and my decision not to put my child in a car seat cost her life.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › I don't use carseats