or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › I'm impressed by Planned parenthood
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm impressed by Planned parenthood - Page 6

post #101 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay
Yes, really. Even those who are not UK residents. In an emergency NO ONE is refused the best medical attention
That's why I was in the ER twice with the same problem that wasn't resolved either time right? I wasn't even safe to fly home but I had to because they would not treat me. When I got back here I went straight to my doctor who was HORRIFIED that *ANY* doctor would leave me untreated.

Quote:
You say you had medical insurance but it was no help. Why? Did they not pay up? If you were covered you would have received the same standard of care as any UK citizen.
Meaning I offered it 150 times and they didn't care/didn't want to see it.

Quote:
"What does 'poorly' mean?" Did the doctors have access to your medical notes(?), because this could be significant.
Poorly means that when I offered them where to get my medical records they refused saying they could treat me based off of information they had. Mind you this was several doctors, not just one as I was in the ER *twice* within 3 days. I knew the exact problem I had, what tests needed to be ordered, and what medication would treat it. They ran a completely useless and incredibly painful test (THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH MY CONDITION), and I was given NO medication. I was told to come back in a third time if it happened again and then maybe we'd dicuss a dose of medication. You do not send someone who CANNOT BREATHE away from a hospital without medication - YOU JUST DON'T.

I used the NHS helpline as well which was completely useless. I was completely for an NHS until I actually expirienced one. People complain about the long waits in ERs in the US? They were worse there. And I was brought in by ambulance.
post #102 of 127
Gross misinformation.... I especially don't like the "intact penises require a little EXTRA care" when it's really the other way around... and cut penises require a LOT more extra care.... having that lovely open wound in a diaper and all

love and peace.
post #103 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay
I rather doubt that the conditions were 'filthy'; it would simply not be tolerated. But there will always be a few hospitals which fail to meet the stringent standards laid down, usually because of their age and a lack of local government funding for rebuilding. When this occurs, it is met with public and press outcry.

In the East Kent area where I live I can think of two such hospitals, both established in the 18th century. One has been been renovated and partially rebuilt to a standard I'm sure your sister would approve of; the other was closed down and demolished. In the same area we also have three hospitals built to state-of-the-art standards.

The NHS is not perfect, what massive national institution is? Nevertheless it provides an exceptional service for which we bless our good fortune.

Christopher
Perhaps you have different standards of what "filthy" is. There was blood and vomit on the walls and the floor and the table dressing was dirty as well.
post #104 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.
People complain about the long waits in ERs in the US? They were worse there. And I was brought in by ambulance.
My sister had to wait eight hours while she was bleeding and passing out. :
post #105 of 127
Frank, I don't think any vaccines are safe and they sure the hell haven't been proven to be and in fact they all have some serious risks. That's just for starters. If you really want to know all the resons why I am against vaxes in general and the HPV vax come on over to the vaccination forum and start reading!
BTW, they are already recommending girls as young as 9 get the HPV vax, I think if you think they won't put it on the regular schedule for children in the next 5-10 years you are mistaken.
post #106 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby
BTW, they are already recommending girls as young as 9 get the HPV vax, I think if you think they won't put it on the regular schedule for children in the next 5-10 years you are mistaken.
Even a local news station here has already been reporting that they expect it to be "mandatory" in the next year or two. :
post #107 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
I'm lost here and maybe you can explain your issue with the HPV vax. Here are a few facts that make it seem perfectly acceptable to me:

(1) Only 2% - 3% of the population will not develop a natural immunity to the virus.

(2) The vaccine will only be offered to those who are tested and have not developed a natural immunity.

(3) The vaccine has shown to be entirely safe and highly effective.

(4) Because of a cost of $350.00 - $450.00 for the vaccination, there is no chance of massive vaccination campaigns with this vaccine. Massive Vaccination campaigns would result in a cost up to $44,100.00 for each infection cured or prevented and that is not affordable.

I don't understand any resistance to the vaccine. Only persons who had been tested would be offered the vaccine and it would be their option to take or refuse it. It is not going to be pushed on children because of the cost. There are no known side effects that would have to be weighed against the possible outcome of cervical cancer. Where is the problem?



Frank
Reuters had a story saying the HPV vax would become mandatory for school entry in the next few years. The vax forum has a whole thread about it.
post #108 of 127
Fi and tayndrewsmama, please let me have the name and location of these hospitals and the approximate date/s you were there. I will investigate.

Blood and vomit on the walls?? I would be outraged if I came across conditions like that!

Inordinate waiting times... yes, even in America. Though eight hours is excessive, particularly if you were bleeding.

Frankly, I'm incredulous. I could take you to any hospital in Kent and you would be at worst, satisfied... and at best, impressed.

By the way, I fell downstairs two years ago and broke three ribs. A 999 call had an ambulance arriving in ten minutes. I was taken to the QEQM hospital in Margate and seen within five minutes. Half an hour later I was in x-ray.

I and my family have used NHS Direct several times since its inception and found their help exemplary.

Please let me have the details of those hospitals.

Christopher
post #109 of 127
I was in Kingston at the time.
post #110 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
I don't understand any resistance to the vaccine. ..... There are no known side effects that would have to be weighed against the possible outcome of cervical cancer. Where is the problem?
Just because the side effects aren't currently known doesn't mean they don't exist!
post #111 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay
Fi and tayndrewsmama, please let me have the name and location of these hospitals and the approximate date/s you were there. I will investigate.
I just left a message for my sister. If IRC, it occured two years ago now, I think in April and was likely at whatever hospital is nearest to Cambridge University. Maybe you know what hospital that is? As Fi. mentioned, I remember her having some rather invasive and unrelated testing too. She was in tears the whole time, and she called me from her cell phone!! This is someone who had worked at a hospital at home for atleast 5 YEARS before going abroad, so she has a pretty good knowledge of what's okay and not okay.


Okay, she just called back and said she doesn't remember the name of the hospital, so maybe you can figure it out easier that we can. She also laughed at the thought of the hospitals being nice there.
post #112 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
I just left a message for my sister. If IRC, it occured two years ago now, I think in April and was likely at whatever hospital is nearest to Cambridge University. Maybe you know what hospital that is? As Fi. mentioned, I remember her having some rather invasive and unrelated testing too. She was in tears the whole time, and she called me from her cell phone!! This is someone who had worked at a hospital at home for atleast 5 YEARS before going abroad, so she has a pretty good knowledge of what's okay and not okay.


Okay, she just called back and said she doesn't remember the name of the hospital, so maybe you can figure it out easier that we can. She also laughed at the thought of the hospitals being nice there.
I'm disappointed she laughed. It was not appropriate. I sincerely regret your personal experiences, but to imply that English hospitals are not nice is foolish and palpably untrue.

Thank you for the hospital information. I will do what I can to investigate. If I can identify the hospitals it's imperative you write or e-mail with a serious and detailed complaint.

Christopher
post #113 of 127
Good Gosh, don't you think it's silly to be arguing about who has better hospitals? Hospitals are pretty aweful no matter where you go

Laura
post #114 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae
Good Gosh, don't you think it's silly to be arguing about who has better hospitals? Hospitals are pretty aweful no matter where you go

Laura
I think it's pretty silly to suggest that one of this world's advanced nations has filthy hospitals. But, agreed, this is way off topic and perhaps it would be best to continue with PMs.

Christopher
post #115 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay
I think it's pretty silly to suggest that one of this world's advanced nations has filthy hospitals. But, agreed, this is way off topic and perhaps it would be best to continue with PMs.

Christopher
You missed my point, I think all hospitals are filthy regardless of how advanced they are. BTW, it's kind of silly to come to a discussion board based in America where most participants are Americans and start touting the English system as far superior and not expect someone to object. I have to say my patriotism is starting to be aroused. We have a crappy system but by golly it's our system

Laura
post #116 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae
You missed my point, I think all hospitals are filthy regardless of how advanced they are. BTW, it's kind of silly to come to a discussion board based in America where most participants are Americans and start touting the English system as far superior and not expect someone to object. I have to say my patriotism is starting to be aroused. We have a crappy system but by golly it's our system

Laura
Ummm, Laura... I don't think I ever suggested that the English system is 'far superior'. This whole mini thread-within-a-thread began when I responded to someone who bemoaned the disparity in medical care in America: those who can afford it get the best, those who can't, don't (she said, in essence). I simply mentioned that campaigning for a national health system might work the oracle - and gave our National Health Service as an example, warts and all!

I was then greeted with remarks about filthy English hospitals and laughable care. Is it any wonder that my patriotic hackles were aroused, too?

By the way, I didn't miss your point. I grinned at your humour and returned to the defence of my country.

Christopher
post #117 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay
Ummm, Laura... I don't think I ever suggested that the English system is 'far superior'. This whole mini thread-within-a-thread began when I responded to someone who bemoaned the disparity in medical care in America: those who can afford it get the best, those who can't, don't (she said, in essence). I simply mentioned that campaigning for a national health system might work the oracle - and gave our National Health Service as an example, warts and all!

I was then greeted with remarks about filthy English hospitals and laughable care. Is it any wonder that my patriotic hackles were aroused, too?

By the way, I didn't miss your point. I grinned at your humour and returned to the defence of my country.

Christopher
LOL, you're right

Laura
post #118 of 127
So back to original point. First post thought PP seemed pro-intact. Can we all agree that PP actual statement is biased towards pro-circ now that the whole statement has been posted- and other information on their website has been brough forward?

What's the most effective way to reach them?

I'm not skeptical of PP... but I'm skeptical of any statement regarding circumcision.... it took me about 1/2 a second to read the statement and see the word cultural and realize that the statement needed to be scrutinized.

Whatever our personal opinions are about PP, it is a fact that they serve a large number of women and men. In many communities they represent the only reproductive care that is available to people that don't have the money or insurance to go to a doctor.

If they are going to have information about circumcision on their websites, it better be accurate- and it is not. I would be surprised and angry if they would not, at the very least, be willing to change their wording to a more neutral/unbiased case-- and I can be hopeful that PP would decide to promote a more progressive pro-intact pov.


Jessica
post #119 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby
Frank, I don't think any vaccines are safe and they sure the hell haven't been proven to be and in fact they all have some serious risks. That's just for starters. If you really want to know all the resons why I am against vaxes in general and the HPV vax come on over to the vaccination forum and start reading!
I'm sorry, that's just a gross generalization. This product is not even on the market yet so you can't say that it has serious risks. If you are against all vaccines regardless of what they are, so be it but don't be broad brushing this one until you have some evidence against it which I can't believe you have yet as it's only been used in research populations.


Quote:
BTW, they are already recommending girls as young as 9 get the HPV vax, I think if you think they won't put it on the regular schedule for children in the next 5-10 years you are mistaken.
I haven't seen that recommendation and I wonder about the source. I can clearly see routine testing of girls since one research project showed that 54.6% of girls were exposed to the virus as they passed through the birth canal. Of those, 2% to 3% will not develop a natural immunity to it and are at risk of developing cervical cancer and I think it is only prudent that the parents be aware of this so they can make the decision of whether their daughter should receive the vaccine for her protection. Actually two separate test administered 4 years apart would confirm whether or not she had developed a natural immunity and follow up tests would confirm that she hadn't caught an infection throughout her life. For the vast majority of the population, this strain of HPV is a totally benign infection. It's just for the 2 - 3% that it can become deadly.

As for the reports of it becoming mandatory, don't we have enough experience with circumcision to see the folly of that from news media sources?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
Just because the side effects aren't currently known doesn't mean they don't exist!
That sounds suspicously like saying that although the benefits of circumcision aren't currently known, we can't say they will never exist and therefore, we should keep on circumcising all boys just in case a benefit does pop up. Cervical cancer is real, it is deadly and it is now preventable. Whatever problem might pop up with the vaccine, I don't suspect it will trump death.



Frank
post #120 of 127
sorry.... still off topic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
I'm sorry, that's just a gross generalization. This product is not even on the market yet so you can't say that it has serious risks. If you are against all vaccines regardless of what they are, so be it but don't be broad brushing this one until you have some evidence against it which I can't believe you have yet as it's only been used in research populations.
Well.... given the fact that there are currently NO vaccines in use (or that used to be in use) that do/did not have serious risks, why would we consider a new one to be any different? Are they using a completely different method with this particular vaccine? I'm just curious I haven't checked out the thread or read up on this particular one yet.


On Topic -
Let's write letters to PP

love and peace.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Understanding Circumcision
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › I'm impressed by Planned parenthood