or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › I'm impressed by Planned parenthood
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm impressed by Planned parenthood - Page 2

post #21 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae
:Puke There's a reason it's not named here. A good one. I for one find it absolutely sick that anyone would support an organization that does that. That's why it's not mentioned here - it is so offensive to so many. I suppose when they say "he who must not be named" in harry potter they aren't really mentioning voldemort? Come on, you're all having the discussion whether you avoid the word or not and it should get pulled.

Laura
No that's NOT the reason. The reason is that people on both ends of the spectrum can't keep it nice when abortion does come up, period. It can be discussed here just not debated. Although posts like yours will surely get this thread pulled.


Oh and again WAY TO GO PP!!!!!
post #22 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby
Although posts like yours will surely get this thread pulled.
I certainly hope so
post #23 of 127
Well that's really mature of you.

Again before this thread gets closed. Thanks PP for spreading the truth about circumcision!!!!!
post #24 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoB
It actually states that in most cases circumcision has 'no health benefit ' and is only done culturally.

To bad other doctors couldn't say that .
Don't ALL major health organizations say it? Why the special props for PP? I could see the point of this if it weren't for the fact that no major medical organization recommends routine infant circ.

I mean, this could be the one area where I agree with PP, so that is probably cause for celebration , I just don't see them stepping outside of what is mainstream here.
post #25 of 127
Seconded, say what you want about the rest of their activities (and people tend to) but this is a brilliant step forwards, that we can all agree on.
post #26 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae
:Puke There's a reason it's not named here. A good one. I for one find it absolutely sick that anyone would support an organization that does that. That's why it's not mentioned here - it is so offensive to so many.
Not exactly. The reason why it cannot be mentioned is because some people cannot carry on a discussion about that topic in a mature fashion.
post #27 of 127
I see your point and I agree with you, Minky.

I am glad that PP speaks out against circumcision though. The more the merrier.
post #28 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom
I am glad that PP speaks out against circumcision though. The more the merrier.
Exactly!
post #29 of 127
: How Entertaining!

Do we have a cheerleader icon? Go PP Go!
post #30 of 127
Yea, PP!

PP has been with me through some major turning points in my life - becoming sexually active, finding the right birth control for me, and finding out that I was pregnant (a planned pregnancy).

I think telling it like it is for circ is right in line with their telling it like it is with other information (some of which some people in this country don't want others to hear about).
post #31 of 127
Quote:
None of those treatments have anything to do with the rights of children. Thats why it surprised me that Planned Parenthood would have an opinion about anything involving the care of babies.
Planned Parenthood deals with the rights of born people, period. Men and women alike. Men are also allowed to partake in the free STD testing and are treated with the same respect as women. So again, I'm not surprised a men's rights issue has come up.

Quote:
Don't ALL major health organizations say it? Why the special props for PP?
Last time I checked anytime a well known American orginization speaks out against it we give them props.
post #32 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marita
I think telling it like it is for circ is right in line with their telling it like it is with other information
I'm surprised this is an organization so many at MDC would support:
http://ppfa.org/pp2/portal/files/por...060518-hpv.xml

Quote:
"The HPV vaccine should be a top public health priority for the FDA. It is common sense, good medicine and a groundbreaking step forward in the fight against cancer."
post #33 of 127
There are many people who go to PP who dont have access to other org.s that tell you about anti-circ, and why circ is bad. That is why it is so awesome that other places are getting into this movement, and reaching all types of people!
Every type of org. needs to get with it, spread the word and dispel myths.
post #34 of 127
Really wish this thread would just stay on topic...

It is ALWAYS wonderful to hear of an orginzation, medical office, person, whatever, speak out against circ. Reguardless of what PPs other beliefs are, they are stating that there is no health benefit. They are spreading the truth which is more than I can say for most medical doctors, orginizations, medical establishments, etc. in my area.

So lets stay on forum topic about circ (or lack there of) and leave the rest to the other forums.
post #35 of 127
I have no probem saying that they are right on the issue of circ. though, the Natl. organization should work to educate some of the local groups:
http://www.planned.org/site/PageServ...S_circumcision

Many posters said this was another reason that PP is great, I was just pointing out that they aren't terribly "NFL".
post #36 of 127
Quote:
"The HPV vaccine should be a top public health priority for the FDA. It is common sense, good medicine and a groundbreaking step forward in the fight against cancer."
And? I'm not against teens and adults deciding they want a vaccine against an STD before becoming sexually active.

I don't get it, all of the world health orgs are FOR vaccines but yet we still support them when they release anti-circ info. Why is this different?
post #37 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.

I don't get it, all of the world health orgs are FOR vaccines but yet we still support them when they release anti-circ info. Why is this different?
Yes, we say something along the lines of "for once they are doing something right"" not "they are the greatest thing since sliced bread".
post #38 of 127
I actually don't agree with PP about the HPV vax but I do agree with their stance on many other issue. So I'd say well they mixed the ,ark on the HPV vax but they are doing a lot of other things right. But I'm not at all surprised on their stance in regards to HPV vax and I would actually be pleasantly shocked if they were against it.
post #39 of 127
yeah Planned parenthood for spreading the truth about circumcision!!! It may just prompt someone to do more reasearch.

And for what its worth, I think Planned Parenthood is an important organization, because many, many, MANY young women, cannot talk to their mothers about GYN issues and birth control (that was me) and they provide free or very low cost services.
I would much rather someone become a mother when they are ready
post #40 of 127
I just don't think it's appropriate to applaud PP for saying the same thing the AAP says. It's too little, too late. They aren't really saying don't do it. They aren't really saying it's barbaric, they aren't really saying it's mutilation. Just that it's not necessary and it's cultural. Come on!

And in regards to maturity, I don't think it's immature to stick up for ones values. That's what being an intactivist is all about, what being a lactavist is all about. It's why I tell people who ask how great it was to have a homebirth and an unassisted birth and why I tell people that I think vaccinating is dangerous.

This is a circumcision forum and I think it's really crappy to have the abortion argument rear it's ugly head here. It can't be discussed reasonably because it's an unreasonable topic. So yeah there are a lot of off topic replies in this thread but if you note I wasn't the first one to bring up the abortion link to PP and even if the discussion was staying on topic to the original post I would still think it's ridiculous for people to get so excited about a very watered down statement about circ from PP - an organization that goes against everything I believe in not only regarding abortion but about a lot of other health issues.

Why is it not ok for me to voice my opinions? I didn't attack any one person here or flame anyone or say anything more inflammatory than anything else previously posted. Although I will note that I DID get flamed personally. Kind of a double standard isn't it?

Laura
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Understanding Circumcision
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › I'm impressed by Planned parenthood