or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › I'm impressed by Planned parenthood
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm impressed by Planned parenthood - Page 3

post #41 of 127
for PP. They councel a lot of young people ... people who dont really know what the AAP says about anything.
post #42 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae
This is a circumcision forum and I think it's really crappy to have the abortion argument rear it's ugly head here. It can't be discussed reasonably because it's an unreasonable topic.
Well, I don't think it got ugly until you made it that way. It was posted in the circ forum 'cause that's what the comment is about, CIRCUMCISION, NOT ABOUT ABORTION.

to PP! As far as comments about the AAP and their recommendations, perhaps they should relay that information to their "frontline" people that are actually performing the circumcisions. Until the pediatric profession as a whole practices what they preach, I don't care what they say.
post #43 of 127
I haven't read the entire thread, but without delving into the tabboo topic too deeply, I'll say this: There is a societal consensus, currently, that a born child is a person. Personhood prior to birth is controversial/a matter of personal beliefs and politics. It seems reasonable that a PC organization such as Planned Parenthood would oppose non-medically indicated circumcision of children while still supporting a woman's RTC.

That being said, I think if anything this thread should be edited rather than pulled, and those who have a problem with other aspects of PP (rather than their anti-circ stance, which is what the OP is about and is completely relevant and appropriate for this board) should take it to PM or another forum that allows discussion of you-know-what.

Jen
post #44 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A
This makes me like PP even more. You know, they test for STDS, give pap smears and birth control; it's not all about the a-word.
a&a,

:



post #45 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint
I'm surprised this is an organization so many at MDC would support:
http://ppfa.org/pp2/portal/files/por...060518-hpv.xml
I am ALL FOR the HPV vaccine being an option for adolecents/teens or anyone who is or who is considering becoming sexually active. I don't think it should be given to infants or children without their consent, as they are not at risk for the virus and are unable to weigh the risks/benefits for themselves.

You can support the development of an HPV (or HIV ...woundn't that be fabulous) vaccine without necessarily advocating for routine immunization.

My body, my risk, my choice; Your body, your risk, your choice.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae
This is a circumcision forum and I think it's really crappy to have the abortion argument rear it's ugly head here.
Laura,

I think it's too bad that those who take issue with a PP stance/service NOT related to the topic of this thread felt the need to sabatoge it by bringing up a banned topic...now, apparently blatantly. I think it's a manipulative attempt to get the thread pulled, and is particularly disingenuous. I hope the moderators see through it and edit out the unrelated attacks on PP rather than deleting the thread---which is very much relevevant to this board---entirely.

Jen
post #46 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae
:Puke There's a reason it's not named here. A good one.

It's not necessarily because it's offensive to some people; it's because the arguments get so heated so quickly and usually descend into name-calling.
post #47 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint
I mean, this could be the one area where I agree with PP, so that is probably cause for celebration , I just don't see them stepping outside of what is mainstream here.

The AAP is so wishy-washy on circ, saying that there aren't enough benefits nor drawbacks for them to make a claim one way or the other. This is PP definitely taking a stand---which does draw them out of the mainstream.
post #48 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx.mothernurture

That being said, I think if anything this thread should be edited rather than pulled, and those who have a problem with other aspects of PP (rather than their anti-circ stance, which is what the OP is about and is completely relevant and appropriate for this board) should take it to PM or another forum that allows discussion of you-know-what.

Jen
Jen- should only the posts who DISAGREE with other aspects of PP be edited/removed, or should it be all of those posts which were off-topic to the circ. discussion? There are a lot of people talking about the reasons PP rocks, which have nothing to do with circ. either.
post #49 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint
I'm surprised this is an organization so many at MDC would support:
You're pulling a straw-man argument here. (Trying to fight what isn't the fight.) PP speaks out against circ. Go PP. The end.
post #50 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint
There are a lot of people talking about the reasons PP rocks, which have nothing to do with circ. either.

Those statements could be inferred to mean that PP rocks on this particular issue.
post #51 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae
I just don't think it's appropriate to applaud PP for saying the same thing the AAP says.
Again, it's NOT what the AAP says!!! The AAP basically says, "We can't decide." So, they don't support it, but they don't not support it, either. This is PP NOT supporting circ.
post #52 of 127
BTW- for the sake of clarification- is this the "statement" we are talking about here or is there something else?
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2...rcumcision.xml

Anything that starts out with
"We can't advise you what to do. This is a very personal decision for parents to make."

Even if they go on to say that it has no medical benefits seems far from something to get all excited about, at least for me.
post #53 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A
You're pulling a straw-man argument here. (Trying to fight what isn't the fight.) PP speaks out against circ. Go PP. The end.
Nope, that was in direct response to someone saying
"I think telling it like it is for circ is right in line with their telling it like it is with other information"

It would've been a strawman if that was my immediate reaction to the OP, instead, it was a simple response to the above statement.

I did say that this would be one of the few times I would agree with PP on anything. My issue is with the folks saying that this is just one more "great" things about PP,, IMO, it is one of the only great things about PP.
post #54 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint
BTW- for the sake of clarification- is this the "statement" we are talking about here or is there something else?
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2...rcumcision.xml

Anything that starts out with
"We can't advise you what to do. This is a very personal decision for parents to make."

Even if they go on to say that it has no medical benefits seems far from something to get all excited about, at least for me.
:

It would be nice if someone would be decisive about it one of these days... saying that it's the parent's decision is so wish-washy. Why isn't it the parent's right (or rather - "very personal decision") to decide to circ their baby girls, huh? I would have been thrown in jail if I'd circ'd dd, but if she was a boy nobody would blink an eye unless I DIDN'T circ....

love and peace.
post #55 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnybumm
Really wish this thread would just stay on topic...
:
post #56 of 127
what makes me happy about this is that for some parents who don't have insurance and can go to great peds, it can be hard becoming educated on what circ is all about, if that's what everyone around them does. PP helps a lot of parents who have no where else to go. This helps reach out to them, also. I've been to the free clinic. They're not exactly all about education. The quality of care is very much different. I look forward to the day that EVERYONE can get exceptional health care, regardless of their income.
post #57 of 127
Quote:
Even if they go on to say that it has no medical benefits seems far from something to get all excited about, at least for me.
Did you read the rest of the response? There was not ONE word about the "benefits" which impressed me.
post #58 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpetplaya
I would have been thrown in jail if I'd circ'd dd, but if she was a boy nobody would blink an eye unless I DIDN'T circ....
Seconded.

I do wish they had taken a far stronger stance but...Well...This is something.
post #59 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.
Did you read the rest of the response? There was not ONE word about the "benefits" which impressed me.
Yes, I said it in what you quoted from me, NO medical benefit, however, it is nothing even close to their stance on FGM, which is interesting for such a "progressive" organization.
post #60 of 127
Hello, welcome to America. NO ONE'S stance against male circumcision is as strong as their stance against female circumcison with the exception of NOCIRC and the likes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Understanding Circumcision
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › I'm impressed by Planned parenthood