or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › 11 week olds head is misshapen...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

11 week olds head is misshapen...

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
My SIL says that her 11 week old baby's head is really misshapen on one side. A friend suggested she lay him propped on the other side for a week to even it out.

What do you think? The baby's next scheduled appointment isn't for another three weeks and the mother is terrified that he might have to wear a helmet. His head was fine a few weeks ago when I last held him. He is still very small, by the way, somewhere in the 8, perhaps 9 lb range and he was born under 5 lbs, after 38 weeks.

Any insight, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 11
cranial sacral therapy... and chiropractic.
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma
cranial sacral therapy... and chiropractic.
She is on medicaid and a poor single mother (not yet working) but I was considering sending her to our pediatric chiropractor for a couple or few visits and paying for it ourselves. Do you think 2 or 3 visits might be enough?
post #4 of 11
I *am* a chiropractor, and I would take the baby for CranioSacral Therapy first. Now, if this chiro does CST, then you're in the best of both worlds!

If she would accept your help, I think that's a marvelous gift you could give her and her baby, by the way.

My son had an odd shape to his head, and after taking him for CranioSacral, we watched his head change shape THAT DAY. His latch changed that day, too. It's truly amazing work.
post #5 of 11
Is it mishapen like the whole head or is the side just flat? If it's flat then yes propping him on the other side will help. My DD's head went a bit flatter on one side from sleeping on it. She preferred that side. Once I started positioning her head in different positions it went away pretty quick. Either way, I hope she figures it out!
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
I *am* a chiropractor, and I would take the baby for CranioSacral Therapy first. Now, if this chiro does CST, then you're in the best of both worlds!

If she would accept your help, I think that's a marvelous gift you could give her and her baby, by the way.

My son had an odd shape to his head, and after taking him for CranioSacral, we watched his head change shape THAT DAY. His latch changed that day, too. It's truly amazing work.
Ooo, that's really good to hear. Yes, my chiro does cranial work (I believe it's CST) so I will try to get an appointment for the baby very soon. Thank you.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre
Is it mishapen like the whole head or is the side just flat? If it's flat then yes propping him on the other side will help. My DD's head went a bit flatter on one side from sleeping on it. She preferred that side. Once I started positioning her head in different positions it went away pretty quick. Either way, I hope she figures it out!
I haven't seen it yet but my SIL seems to be saying that it's one side but that it's very pronounced. I'll forward your story to her, thank you for your help.
post #8 of 11
does her baby spend a lot of time laying in things like the carseat or a swing or anything? that can make a flat spot too. get her a mt or sling if thats the case.
post #9 of 11
nak

sorry for not responding earlier. As mollyeilis said, the CST could work in one or two sessions.

and btw, I'm a chiropractor too
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tash11
does her baby spend a lot of time laying in things like the carseat or a swing or anything? that can make a flat spot too. get her a mt or sling if thats the case.
She called me rather frantic, worrying because she doesn't want her baby to have to wear a helmet. I told her that the two children I know who had to wear helmets were both left to sit in strollers and seats and such all the time and to carry him more. She claims she does. I gave her a sling at her baby shower, she claims she can't figure out how to use it, I have tried everything to get her to use it, including giving her links to videos, advice, offers to help her try it on, etc. She also has a Baby Bjorn that she says it easier to use and that the baby loves. I suspect that whenever he sleeps, she puts him down. I know less about when he's awake because he's almost always in arms when he's awake, from what I've seen, but we don't hang out all the time.

So I think I will try to set up a chiro/CST appointment or two and see how that goes. The chiropractor will have excellent advice for her, I'm sure, and she will listen more to the chiro than me.
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma
nak

sorry for not responding earlier. As mollyeilis said, the CST could work in one or two sessions.

and btw, I'm a chiropractor too
You responded at a great time, thank you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life With a Baby
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › 11 week olds head is misshapen...