or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Leaving kids in car unattended for just a minute...how bad is it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leaving kids in car unattended for just a minute...how bad is it? - Page 5

post #81 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
Dragonfly--wanna know my biggest slightly irrational fear??

I won't do laundry when I'm home alone with dd cause I'm afraid I'll fall down the stairs and be knocked out. A lot of the same risks people are worried about have directly similar possibilities inside our own homes where we think we're safe.
I know. I used to worry about stuff like that, too, although a little less so because at least then he would be in a secured, familiar space. (See... thought it all out. ).

Whenever this subject comes up, I always remember your story about leaving Molly in the car with the dogs while you went to the ATM, shannon. I'm pretty sure I'd have no trouble whatsoever leaving ds in the car under those circumstances!
post #82 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
I've never left ds in the car in my driveway because I can't see the driveway from my house. And I've always been concerned that I'd do something silly like trip over my feet while running in, bash my head on the sidewalk, and be out cold for the next hour. Yeah, yeah, I know. I can be a bit of a klutz, though, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility
OMG! I'd much rather that dd and ds2 were in the car in their car seats if that happened. I keep the door open while I'm running groceries back and forth, so if they weren't in the car, they could be anywhere - run over in the parking lot, drowned in the creek, falling down our stairs in the house, playing with knives...oh, my head hurts just thinking about it!
post #83 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
OMG! I'd much rather that dd and ds2 were in the car in their car seats if that happened. I keep the door open while I'm running groceries back and forth, so if they weren't in the car, they could be anywhere - run over in the parking lot, drowned in the creek, falling down our stairs in the house, playing with knives...oh, my head hurts just thinking about it!
: :

Tell me about it! There's no easy way out of that one! Those thoughts have mostly bothered me when it's sweltering hot outside and I've thought about dashing in for just a second. Then I think, "if I bashed my head, he'd be stuck in the car and would overheat and die."

Hopeless.
post #84 of 164
If I'm unloading groceries, the tailgate is lifted, so they probably wouldn't overheat, but...YIKES!

I guess I'll just have to hope that if anything like that ever happens, a neighbour or my landlord (who is always out and about the complex taking care of things) finds me before anyone else does!
post #85 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
The thing about that is that suddenly, one day, they can undo their latches. Ds was very proud of himself when that happened.
You know, I'm really looking forward to that day, whenever it decides to arrive. I've got the laziest-butt kid when it comes to getting her seatbelt on or off. She's SIX by the ways. She'd rather be reading her book than having to fasten her own belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
I won't do laundry when I'm home alone with dd cause I'm afraid I'll fall down the stairs and be knocked out. A lot of the same risks people are worried about have directly similar possibilities inside our own homes where we think we're safe.
Man, we're like a 20/20 episode just itchin' to happen! : It's like the safetyfirst catalog... you know I hadn't really thought that my child might stick all the silverware in the VCR and electrocute herself somehow, but now that you mention it...maybe I should get that VCR blocker. Or maybe just upgrade to the DVD player...
post #86 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
you know I hadn't really thought that my child might stick all the silverware in the VCR and electrocute herself somehow, but now that you mention it...maybe I should get that VCR blocker. Or maybe just upgrade to the DVD player...
I just anchored mine to the ceiling.
post #87 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
I just anchored mine to the ceiling.
Hee. What, the silverware or the VCR? Good idea. If I could just anchor everything to the ceiling, this neurotic mama could quit worrying and get a good night's rest for once (what was that noise? was it my daughter sleepwalking and falling down three flights of unsecured stairs of our townhouse? was it the baby, up crawling and drowning in the toilet? was it a werewolf?!)
post #88 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
Well, common sense also tells me that there is a greater risk of being hit as a pedestrian in a parking lot than there is of kidnapping by stranger. Overheating, hey sure, but the OP didn't say "So, it was hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk and I left my baby in my black car with no air and the windows up"
Exactly!
post #89 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
If I'm in the parking lot at a corner store...no other cars, and nobody around, how is that any less safe than my driveway (if I had one)?
Opportunity. Anyone could be walking through a parking lot. Not so likely that someone is walking through your driveway. (I do live in a fairly isolated area on a fairly large piece of property...If I lived in the city or in a different environment I'd be singing a different tune.)

I saw you say you leave your 13 year old to supervise your little one. That seems fine to me :
post #90 of 164
Ok....that smiley face was just supposed to be a regular smiley face....I didn't realize there was going to be a tomato thrown at it
post #91 of 164
as for me: i wouldn't.
post #92 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannarachel
I saw you say you leave your 13 year old to supervise your little one. That seems fine to me :
Well...he wasn't there the two times I went into the corner store. But, if somebody tried to call CPS, I probably wasn't even gone long enough to write down the license plate number. I actually sat in the lot with the kids the second time. There were a few other customers and I wanted the store to be empty, so I could dash in, make my purchase and get out.

I really don't get why that freaks people out so much. I wasn't gone any longer than it would take to open my car door and undo the carseat...and I never took my eyes off the car. Actually, I got rooked on my change the first time, because I didn't even look at it...
post #93 of 164
I've left my children in the car while i went in to pay for gas. The doors were locked and they were in my sight the whole time. If something would have happened, it would have taken me about 5 seconds (or less) to get to them. I think this type of situation is fine. However, i would never leave them for more than just a minute, and never if they were going to be out of my sight.
post #94 of 164
I would be curious for one of you "shoppers" to actually time yourself while in the store. I don't know what store you are at but for me just to buy a jug of milk it takes me at least 5-10 min.

And yes, freaky things do happen. There was a women hit in WalMart parking lot while she was holding her 14 month old (so he wouldn't run into traffic) and was hit and the baby was killed. So on one hand I would say that wouldn't prevent me from walking in the parking lot - but those are things that "need" to happen. You can't get to the store without walking through the parking lot.

However, not taking your kids out of the car is just plain old laziness. There - I said it - not to offend anyone - that is just my perspective on it. Remember this is coming from me.

And trust me - there were days when I thought life would be so much easier if I could just leave them in the car for two seconds. One day I had to run to the store before school for a 2 liter that I was suppose to bring to a party - and my DD wouldn't would have been late for school if I could have left them in the car.
post #95 of 164
until recently I lived in a small rural town with a low crime rate. I used to think that leaving my ds (then 3) in the car for just a min was fine if I could see the car. Our post office has large windows overlooking the parking lot but you have to walk through the loby with all the boxes where you can't see the car to get there. In the time it took for me to walk out of the office, check my box (I'm talking 10sec.) and walk out the door, ds had decided to come look for me, unlocked the door (I didn't know he could do that but he had watched me and figured it out) and run into the road.

Never again!
post #96 of 164
I can get to the store without walking through the parking lot, I either park right up beside the store, or if that's a fire lane, I park as close as I can. I hardly think being hit in a Walmart parking lot and having your baby die is something that "needs" to happen.
The thread I had ages ago I actually measured the distances and it was closer for me to go directly to the bank machine than it would have been to go around the truck and get the baby out of the truck.
If it takes you 5-10 minutes to buy a gallon of milk...you must be related to my husband cause I can frequently do $100 in groceries in 15 minutes and yes I have timed it, a number of times because I'm literally running in between appts.
post #97 of 164
Cue Twilight Zone music....

I minorly freak out when I see one of these threads on MDC. Do you know that every single time I have read a left-in-the-car thread here, within a day or two there is a kidnapping at a gas station here in Indianapolis?

It is always the same. Dad/Mom ran in to pay, or get cigarettes or whatever, and the second they were in the door somebody drove off with their kids. The latest one I remember, they showed the security camera on the news and the Dad was still walking into the store when his SUV pulled away.

On the plus side it seems they always catch them before they get out of the state.

I'll let you know if it happens again this week :
post #98 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4imprints
I would be curious for one of you "shoppers" to actually time yourself while in the store. I don't know what store you are at but for me just to buy a jug of milk it takes me at least 5-10 min.
Walk into corner store - pick up jug of milk - take to counter - hand guy $5.00 - take change. Two minutes - tops. My eyes are off the car long enough to grab the jug of milk...I don't look away at any other time.

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not waking up my sleeping baby to lug him into a store and chase dd all over the place - probably including into the parking lot - just so someone else doesn't think I'm lazy. If I parented based on other people's risk assessments and opinions, I probably wouldn't be breastfeeding, and I certainly wouldn't be co-sleeping.

townmouse: How do people get into a locked car and hotwire it that fast if the parents are watching?
post #99 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4imprints
And trust me - there were days when I thought life would be so much easier if I could just leave them in the car for two seconds. One day I had to run to the store before school for a 2 liter that I was suppose to bring to a party - and my DD wouldn't would have been late for school if I could have left them in the car.
I can remember thinking my life would be so much easier if I had a car at all. DS1 was late for school almost every day in first grade...hard to make up the time on little legs once you've managed to get everybody ready. This isn't about it being "easier" generally. It's about balancing risk and what's easier for my kids. DD is much more likely to get away from me and run into traffic in a parking lot than she is to get loose of her carseat and/or be kidnapped in the two minutes I'm in the store watching her. And, ds2 has been asleep both times. I'm not waking him up on the off-chance that a weirdo is going to appear from nowhere, unlock my car doors and either hotwire the car or get my kids out of their seats...all in the two minutes that I'm gone, and while I'm watching.
post #100 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by townmouse
Cue Twilight Zone music....

I minorly freak out when I see one of these threads on MDC. Do you know that every single time I have read a left-in-the-car thread here, within a day or two there is a kidnapping at a gas station here in Indianapolis?

It is always the same. Dad/Mom ran in to pay, or get cigarettes or whatever, and the second they were in the door somebody drove off with their kids. The latest one I remember, they showed the security camera on the news and the Dad was still walking into the store when his SUV pulled away.

On the plus side it seems they always catch them before they get out of the state.

I'll let you know if it happens again this week :
In all those cases, the parent left the keys in the ignition and the car doors unlocked. The OP described a completely different situation.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Leaving kids in car unattended for just a minute...how bad is it?