or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › Television for a 3 month old?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Television for a 3 month old?

post #1 of 70
Thread Starter 
My wife stays at home to take care of our 3 month old son. She tells me he watches TV with her, and I'm wondering if that is a bad thing. I've read that there is a lot of controversy on it. I'm just concerned that my 3 month old is watching Montell and Dr. Phil.
What should I do?
post #2 of 70
Dude. Taking care of a 3 month old is hard. They nurse ALL the time. You need a distraction.

My kid watched TV with me constantly at that age. They don't retain it, they don't know what is going on, it doesn't matter.

Later on, yes, you will need to curb the TV watching, but that will come naturally as baby becomes more active and engaging.

For now, whatever gets her through.
post #3 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama
Dude. Taking care of a 3 month old is hard. They nurse ALL the time. You need a distraction.

My kid watched TV with me constantly at that age. They don't retain it, they don't know what is going on, it doesn't matter.

Later on, yes, you will need to curb the TV watching, but that will come naturally as baby becomes more active and engaging.

For now, whatever gets her through.
:
post #4 of 70
is he actually WATCHING the show with her? because i would say that's not a good idea. babies watching TV is a bad thing, it messes with their brain development. check this out http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...186745,00.html

but if she's just watching and he's nursing or napping and not looking at the screen, it sounds fine. i spent most of the first 12 weeks on the computer or watching DVDs, because my son was always either nursing or napping. once he turned 3 months, i shut it off.
post #5 of 70
Is the baby really watching, or is he nursing/playing/sleeping while mom watches? If the latter, I think it's probably fine, but I wouldn't really encourage a 3 month old to stare at a TV. A baby needs the boob, not the boob tube

ETA: Once again, la mamita beats me to it
post #6 of 70
this is something I used to worry about because I did it on maternity leave and yes, I watched Montel and Dr. Phil

But ITA with the PP--it will drop off as baby gets more active. As it is when you are holding a sleeping baby or nursing most of the day, there's just not much else you can do! And I'm not a big TV person at all--we usually only turn it on for Lost.

Anyway now that DS is one there's no time to even sit, too busy chasing him around the house.

Don't sweat it.
post #7 of 70
I don't think it's a big problem until babe starts watching the screen. My dd2 passively "watched" an entire series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a newborn. We'll see what that did to her!
post #8 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama
Dude. Taking care of a 3 month old is hard. They nurse ALL the time. You need a distraction.

My kid watched TV with me constantly at that age. They don't retain it, they don't know what is going on, it doesn't matter.

Later on, yes, you will need to curb the TV watching, but that will come naturally as baby becomes more active and engaging.

For now, whatever gets her through.

Yeah, I understand. I know it's hard. I'm just a worry-wort. I should clarify: she doesn't just plop him down in front of the TV. She's usually holding him or nursing or something, and he will look over at the TV. I think mostly just because of the moving color/sound.

I think he'll be okay.
post #9 of 70
I used to watch TV while I was nursing but NEVER when the baby could see the TV. It is really bad for kids to watch TV, even if they are just looking at it not knowing what it is.

There are tons of studies that show just how bad it can be for babies to watch TV.

I don't think that it's not a big deal and I don't think that being a tired SAHM is an excuse. I am just as tired as any mom and I do not let my daughter watch TV.
post #10 of 70
:
Except that my older 3 watch a little bit more than I would like.
post #11 of 70
Hmm, I am also curious about this, because I have the TV on almost all day while I am home with my 14-week-old. She occasionally turns to look at it, and I feel terrible, but I also feel terrible staring at the walls all day. She has to be held all the time and is not overly fond of the sling. She is happiest in my lap or on my chest. When she wants to play, we leave the room usually.

I can't hold her and read - what should I do? Stare at the walls, really?
post #12 of 70
I would imagine that the majority of the studies done on television watching look at toddlers and up watching tv for perhaps 30 minutes or more a day. I highly doubt that your son is watching more than a minute or two total throughout the day. I know that my son will glance at it, wondering what the noise is, etc, and then will go back to his toys.

I know they have tied ADD and ADHD to television watching in children, but I'm nearly positive it's from perhaps one or two years on up.
post #13 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly
Hmm, I am also curious about this, because I have the TV on almost all day while I am home with my 14-week-old. She occasionally turns to look at it, and I feel terrible, but I also feel terrible staring at the walls all day. She has to be held all the time and is not overly fond of the sling. She is happiest in my lap or on my chest. When she wants to play, we leave the room usually.

I can't hold her and read - what should I do? Stare at the walls, really?
listen to NPR! it's my new thing to do while walking DS to sleep for naps. very stimulating.
post #14 of 70
ITA with those saying it can be very boring to sit and nurse all day long...I am not a TV person AT ALL but still those first few months I watched a LOT of TV. I don't see anything wrong with it. Once my baby got more active I didn't have time for TV anymore so I just left it off. The TV actually went in a closet and that's where it stays. I wouldn't worry that all this TV your wife is viewing now means she and the babe will just be couch potatos forever.
post #15 of 70
We're a no-tv family, but I caved during the enormously long hours of nursing and rocking DD at the very beginning. But, it did seem like the noise of the tv overstimulated DD, so I kept it on mute and turned the closed-captioning on. Perhaps you could convince your wife to try that as a compromise?
post #16 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericisbacchus
My wife stays at home to take care of our 3 month old son. She tells me he watches TV with her, and I'm wondering if that is a bad thing. I've read that there is a lot of controversy on it. I'm just concerned that my 3 month old is watching Montell and Dr. Phil.
What should I do?
How does he watch TV? I ask as if you are BF he faces the other way. He would hear the TV but not watch it.

FYI - WHO recommends not allowing your child to watch TV prior to 2 years of age.

A.
post #17 of 70
If your wife is watching it while she nurses, I don't think its a problem. As long as your baby isn't being sat in front of it for his entertainment.
post #18 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaK
It is really bad for kids to watch TV, even if they are just looking at it not knowing what it is.

There are tons of studies that show just how bad it can be for babies to watch TV.

I don't think that it's not a big deal and I don't think that being a tired SAHM is an excuse. I am just as tired as any mom and I do not let my daughter watch TV.
:

I think Montell AND Dr. Phil every weekday is a little long for the TV to be on where a baby can see it. I don't put the TV on during the day at all unless there is some sort of breaking news, which I think has happened twice in 6 months. If she feels the need to get away maybe she can watch TV while the baby is napping, or try reading a book or magazine instead? Or listening to the radio?

My baby does watch Saturday morning cartoons with DH for 1/2 hr one or two Saturdays a month which I don't exactly agree with, but it's DH's parenting decision and I think his excitement about sharing this daddy-son time with ds is too important for me to go on a "down with TV" tirade.

Since you said she is holding or nursing him maybe she can work to shield him from staring at the tube? I'll put a light blanket over Andrew while he's nursing to shut out distractions sometimes.

Part of the reason I am SO anti-TV is because I grew up in a house where it was on all day long and it absolutely makes me crazy and angry. I don't even know when I will finally feel that it's ok for Andrew to watch a little TV but I'm sure it won't be for a very long time.
post #19 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_plus_one
I would imagine that the majority of the studies done on television watching look at toddlers and up watching tv for perhaps 30 minutes or more a day. I highly doubt that your son is watching more than a minute or two total throughout the day. I know that my son will glance at it, wondering what the noise is, etc, and then will go back to his toys.

I know they have tied ADD and ADHD to television watching in children, but I'm nearly positive it's from perhaps one or two years on up.
Actually there are a bunch of studies done on children UNDER 2 years of age and they show that TV puts babies into a catatonic state and impacts brain waves. I used to have a great link but it has disappeared, I may try to find it when I get a second.
post #20 of 70
Eric, I also have an almost 4 month old who likes to watch tv. And I mean WATCH. Like twists her neck around to watch. (Must take after her daddy!)

Anyhow, I'm no expert, but I am discouraging it whenever I notice and turning her to face me, the cat, or anything else.

That's my $.02!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life With a Baby
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › Television for a 3 month old?