Originally Posted by Emilie
Here is the problem....You are using numbers and calculations and statistics based upon HOSPITAL deliveries which includes a large number of interventions.....
you can not get a clear picture of how birth would happen if left alone- by doctors and nurses and statisticians- if it was just left to be BIRTH- the act of a woman bringing her baby- or babies in your case- naturally. this does not only mean w/o an epidural- but with no interventions.
What were your circumstances leading to a c/s- since you brought it up
Homebirth was never a consideration for me. The studies that support homebirth (and they DO support homebirth, I want to make it clear that I understand this 100%) *repeatedly* state that homebirth attended by a competent midwife in a routine, LOW RISK PREGNANCY is at least AS safe as hospital birth, and in many instances, maybe even SAFER.
There are some qualifications there if you noticed. First is a qualified midwife, something that was not available to me at the time. Second is a LOW RISK PREGNANCY, something that was not the case for my particular pregnancy.
So, the issue of 'what if' I'd had them at home is moot at best. There was nothing statistically available to me to say that a high risk delivery at home with nobody but my DH and myself present was even remotely a good idea.
On to my pg itself. I carried vertex/vertex twins to term with rising blood pressure, although nothing alarming and decent 24 hour urine results. Babies consistently passed NST/AFI/BFP...until the very end.
At that point, Baby A had no measurable fluid left. None. They simply could not find a single pocket of fluid large enough to measure on her. Tried several times over 3 days to get a pocket to measure. I was drinking GALLONS of water, peeing over 4 LITERS of urine in 24 hours, so dehydration was certainly not the problem. By the end of the 3rd day, she was no longer passing the NST, and had obviously been 'failing' the AFI that entire time.
Baby B wasn't doing much better. She had severe calcification of her placenta, the worst possible grade it could be, although how they even grade them (is it letters? numbers?) slips my memory at the moment. Her heart rate was hovering consistently above 200. Nothing I did or didn't do made a difference in her heart rate.
They *needed* to come out, or at least that was the conclusion of 4 perinatoligists who were overseeing my pregnancy.
There are a lot of reasons that I was against induction, but for grins and giggles, some of the reasons were as follows:
1. My Bishop score was a big fat zero. My cervix was hard, closed, and still just over 5 cm in length (as long as it was at my first u/s to measure cervical length at 18 weeks). The chances of induction being successful, again based on research, were very, very, very slim.
2. The hospital where I was delivering (with no choice in the matter except to go completely unassisted at home that is) was not known for good vaginal delivery outcomes with SINGLE babies, much less twin births. They could botch the simplest, most straight forward vaginal delivery it seemed.
The horror stories from that place would take up an entire server, and aren't really the point.
I did trust one of the peris I was seeing to be a competent surgeon however. And they obviously couldn't come out of my nose.
3. Twin B is known to be at higher risk during vaginal birth in comparison to Twin A. There has actually been a study released since I had my twins that clearly showed elective section reduces Twin B's chance of death by 75%.
Now....I had to make a choice. I never had any dreams of pushing out babies. It just never mattered to me one way or another. I figured I'd end up being sectioned either way to be honest, and I was fine with that. That was how *I* felt about it.
I did not go into that OR without understanding what I was asking them to do though. I understood I was twice as likely to die (4 times as likely if it's not a scheduled section). I understood there were so many things they could accidentally knick inside my gut that it wasn't funny. I understood that I had an 8% chance of post-op infection (rate approaches 25% or more with unplanned sections).
I understood I might require a blood transfusion. I might not come out with my uterus at all, effectively ending my childbearing days forever. I understood it would likely hurt like he!! after it was all said and done. I understood my milk might not come in as fast, it might be harder to nurse (esp twins) with an incision to deal with.
Further, I understood that any future pg I might be blessed with would be more at risk for all sorts of problems. I would likely have a very hard time finding someone to agree to a VBAC attempt if I ended up hating the whole section experience. The more sections I had, the more at risk I was of a whole host of problems. Any future babies would face increased risks as well.
I got all that. Truly I did.
But I also understood that on that day, there were two babies inside me that weren't doing so hot inside me anymore, and again, they couldn't take them out of my ear. I picked what I decided was the lesser of two evils and prayed that I fell on the good side of statistics.
I was very fortunate. Not so much that I lived or anything like that, as the overall risk of death during section simply isn't high enough IMO to say 'I got lucky' to make it out alive. But I was lucky in that none of the awful stuff that I often read, hear, and had prepared myself for mentally came to pass. I never had any pain, never had any trouble nursing, no infections, nothing. No complications whatsover.
Now, in my third pg, I have a partial previa. 1 in 200 women with an unscarred uterus have it at delivery. 1 in 50 women with 2 prior sections have it at delivery. So, there's a 75% chance that it's directly related to the sections I've already had.
I understood that this was a possibility before I ever signed on that dotted line almost 5 years ago. And I'd sign it all over again.
I do not sugar coat things, neither in favor of section OR in favor of vaginal delivery. It's about choices, and we all have to make them for ourselves and our children and hope that we are making the right choice at the time.
Even if I had possessed a crystal ball, and could have foreseen a previa in this 3rd pg, I'd have taken my chances with the previa. The two babies inside me at the time were safer coming into this world by section, of that I had no doubts whatsoever.