or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nursing Mamas Thread - Page 2

post #21 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom
I've heard this before. But IMO peeing is hardly the same thing as eating. Apples and Oranges, ykwim? Feeding babies is what breasts are for and I *hate* that our society has sexualized them to the point that I have to feel embarrassed about feeding a baby when he/she needs to eat, yk? And I don't eat with a blanket over my head - why should an infant have to? I think if that makes you comfortable, great, but I wouldn't do it. I mean it's not like I'm whipping them out there in anyone's face or going topless, I'm very discreet when I need to NIP.

.!
As usual Leighann beat me to the point! If peeing is the same natural thing, please go eat your next meal in the bathroom- oops too gross right? See my point. Besides I have seen my share of boys/men relieving themselves in a natural way in public.

I have nip in every situation. Most of the time most do not know I am feeding my baby because of the shirts I wear etc. I have no idea the amount of times I have nursed in front of family members-incl dh's whole family. the other day I was nursing in front of my teenage nephew and his father came over to greet me and didnt even know I was feeding Maggie until later. His son did not know either. I was not in the bathroom nor did I have a blanket over Maggie's head. I was in the kitchen of my ILs home talking to various relatives and helping dh get ready to grill the dinner. So if you get it down, its so easy and no one knows anything but that you have a quiet baby. But if you're not comfortable, then dont do it but dont compare it to peeing please!!
post #22 of 119
BTW- since we are on the subject of NIP. Saturday at 1pm your local time if you need to get out for a few hours-take the baby and find your nearest Victoria's Secret and join other mamas nurse their babies there. My area has a group set up at several malls to do just that. There is plenty of info in the tribe sections and the lactovist forums.
post #23 of 119
Don't have my babe to nurse yet, but I nursed both my dd's, one till she weaned at 12mo and my 2nd till she was 21mo old and I NIP everywhere!!! It burns my butt to hear someone use the "peeing is natural too" argument! its sooooo not the same thing! Im with amy and leighann, no one can even tell im nursing. I don't use a blanket, cuz both my girls hated it and it was just too uncomfortable and complicated to try to hold my boob, hold the baby and keep the blanket from falling down my shoulder!

I can't wait till I get to NIP again!! So bummed, I was going to attend the nurse in w/ my new little one, but since I'll be in the hospital tomorrow actually having him, I'll have to skip this one
post #24 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom
I've heard this before. But IMO peeing is hardly the same thing as eating. Apples and Oranges, ykwim? Feeding babies is what breasts are for and I *hate* that our society has sexualized them to the point that I have to feel embarrassed about feeding a baby when he/she needs to eat, yk? And I don't eat with a blanket over my head - why should an infant have to? I think if that makes you comfortable, great, but I wouldn't do it. I mean it's not like I'm whipping them out there in anyone's face or going topless, I'm very discreet when I need to NIP.
I agree with everything you said LeighAnne, but I like to stay covered when I NIP out of courtesy, modesty, and politeness. I really dislike it when women NIP uncovered out of defiance or some sort of outrage and desire to make a "statement." I just think it's rude.

Perhaps "peeing" wasn't the right comparison or analogy. There are lots of perfectly "natural" processes that people do that are not polite to do in public. I'm not talking about nursing in general, I'm talking about immodestly whipping your boob out, etc. That kind of thing that may make people uncomfortable.
post #25 of 119
I CANNOT believe that on MOTHERING of all places that we have people comparing nursing to peeing. Nice.

Immodest or not I WILL nurse my babe with my FF breasts anytime and anywhere. I DO NOT do it to make a statement. I do it to feed my baby. I would never dream of eating under a blanket in hot weather so why on earth would someone make a baby do that???

And since when did baring your breasts become a horrible thing? These are MADE TO FEED BABIES!!!!!!!!

I'm going to stop now...
post #26 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
I agree with everything you said LeighAnne, but I like to stay covered when I NIP out of courtesy, modesty, and politeness. I really dislike it when women NIP uncovered out of defiance or some sort of outrage and desire to make a "statement." I just think it's rude.

Perhaps "peeing" wasn't the right comparison or analogy. There are lots of perfectly "natural" processes that people do that are not polite to do in public. I'm not talking about nursing in general, I'm talking about immodestly whipping your boob out, etc. That kind of thing that may make people uncomfortable.

Like I said I am covered and the only thing I am saying when nip is my baby is hungry not defiance or outrage. Its more polite to have a quiet baby in this society anyhow. I do not whip it out and usually no blankets or skin are seen for that matter.

its true I am floored that breasts feeding a baby is compared to urine.
post #27 of 119
I'm glad someone else commented on the peeing... I'm still recovering from the surgery, and dont' have a lot of fight in me. But i'll say when I read it tomy hubby he got pretty pissed off (haha, no pun intended).

I also realized i have already NIP! i had to nurse all the way out of the hospital in the wheelchair... and several old men got a boob shot. Lucky them.
post #28 of 119
I nurse my baby anywhere and everywhere. I don't make a big deal out of it! She's just eating. I dare someone say something to me
post #29 of 119
Thread Starter 
I NIP openly, but I guess some what discreetly, that is if you call covering part of my breast with my shirt But anyway, the way I feel about it is that if my baby needs to nurse, I'm not going to run to some discreet place in public to nurse him. Nursing is supposed to be stress free and if I worry about being ultra discreet, then I'm not putting my baby's needs first. Just yesterday, I was at Whole Foods in the cafe area nursing ds. The room was full of men. Akward at first, but no one noticed and if they did, they didn't seem to care.
post #30 of 119
Chiromama, I did the same thing! (Baby was born at home but after her NICU stay I was in bad enough shape I had to leave in a wheelchair.) I was shocked at how shocked people were to see it...I mean it's a hospital, there's far more shocking things to be seen all over the place. I was also surprised how big of a deal they thought it was in the ward...every time I'd feed her they'd completely surround me with those stupid curtain things until I could hardly breathe from the claustrophobia.
post #31 of 119
My milk came in with no pain, not one ounce of engorement! I am so thrilled; I have never had it this easy before. BF is going great!


As for NIP, I do uit anywhre and anytime. My babies needs come first. I will try to be at our local VS tomorrow at one. I saw the peeing vs. nip comment and I bit my tounge but I am glad it was discussed further. It really bothered me to see such a comparison made on Mothering of all places.
post #32 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog
=.I mean it's a hospital, there's far more shocking things to be seen all over the place. I was also surprised how big of a deal they thought it was in the ward...every time I'd feed her they'd completely surround me with those stupid curtain things until I could hardly breathe from the claustrophobia.
nak
oh yes- forgot about that. I starterd to not tell them when I was going to nurse just to avoid that. A few times Id be nursing for a long while and they would be there and then ask me when did i want to nurse Maggie: .
post #33 of 119
Seriously, the fact that you all are up in arms over me using that analogy over why I prefer to nurse covered is very sad. It was the first thing that came to mind as I typed my response, and I already said that perhaps it wasn't the best choice to make my point, but the bottom line is that I PREFER to nurse covered. I should not have to defend modesty or manners. What a sad commentary on society.

And to suggest that it is about the babies' needs is ridiculous. If someone nurses in public with a cover, that does not mean they ignore their child's need to eat. How absurd. He nurses whenever he wants to - he just does it with a blankey people!
post #34 of 119
We've had a rough time. Long story short a recessed chin and severely tied tongue = blistered and cracked nipples and lots of tears shed over the pain. We finally decided to have his tongue clipped after seeking the advice of some knowledgeable people we trust and doing some research. As soon as he got home from the docs he nursed well on both sides and for the first time in the 3 days since my milk came in he got enough milk off to take away the engorgement! Felt wonderful. I had been up nights pumping for hours but by the time I got one side softened up the other side would be full again (meanwhile DH was feeding via dropper). My milk lets down like crazy! I seriously didn't know how I could go on, even one more nursing. The pain was so bad I was shaking. My nipples are looking better by the day and we're working on his latch. At least now he has the use of his tongue, that helps! Really, he couldn't use his tongue at all. Our LLL leader said she has no clue how he was latching at all.

I really thought that after the tough time I had nursing dd I'd have it easier with this one... not so! Took me 3 weeks to heal from the damage she did due to not being about to open her mouth all the way during her first 2 days. Same pain as this time. Try to walk around without a shirt on but even the air hurts. Doc suggested black tea bags to help heal the nipples... now THOSE feel good! Dh referred to them as the "nipple cozy" the other night. He's too cute.

Man, my kids really will never have any clue what I've gone through for them! All I have to say is they better not go on to ruin their own health after all I've endured to give them the best start in life!


QUESTION: Is it normal for a newborn to nurse so often... its like, he will nurse for an hour, fall off on his own, and then start screaming and rooting within minutes. He does this all the time. He looks absolutly desperate to nurse, as if he hasn't eaten in a day. Its as though he's got to have a nipple in his mouth to be content. He poops about 6 times a day and wets a diaper every 1-2 hours. Its insane. He spits up a little every few feedings, but nothing major. I just don't get how he can eat so much. I'd really like a break!
Today he's had 2 long naps, but that's a first. I think maybe because its so hot.
post #35 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
I agree with everything you said LeighAnne, but I like to stay covered when I NIP out of courtesy, modesty, and politeness. I really dislike it when women NIP uncovered out of defiance or some sort of outrage and desire to make a "statement." I just think it's rude.

Perhaps "peeing" wasn't the right comparison or analogy. There are lots of perfectly "natural" processes that people do that are not polite to do in public. I'm not talking about nursing in general, I'm talking about immodestly whipping your boob out, etc. That kind of thing that may make people uncomfortable.
I figured as much and I agree the modesty *is* important - especially to me b/c of my religious beliefs, I do not make a show of myself in order to feed my child, but nor will I hide the gift that God has given me under a bushel (or blanket, or by going to some "designated area") when I can otherwise be discreet right where I am. HOWEVER, if NIP makes a mama more comfortable with a blanket over the shoulder then what's the big deal? Like you said Stacy, it's not like you're starving baby, you're just feeding him in a way that makes you (and others around you) more comfortable...nothing wrong with that!
post #36 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice
QUESTION: Is it normal for a newborn to nurse so often... its like, he will nurse for an hour, fall off on his own, and then start screaming and rooting within minutes. He does this all the time. He looks absolutly desperate to nurse, as if he hasn't eaten in a day. Its as though he's got to have a nipple in his mouth to be content. He poops about 6 times a day and wets a diaper every 1-2 hours. Its insane. He spits up a little every few feedings, but nothing major. I just don't get how he can eat so much. I'd really like a break!
Today he's had 2 long naps, but that's a first. I think maybe because its so hot.
Yes, I think that's "normal" - either that or my dd2 and this one are abnormal Seriously, #1 I would say, maybe he's as happy to be nursing 'normally' now as you are and #2 Some babes just like to 'comfort suck' and (this is just my little theory) but you know how you fall asleep in a strange place, when you wake up you're thrown for a loop? I think that falling asleep nursing could be like that for a little one, I fell asleep with that nipple in my mouth, now where the heck is it?!?!?!
post #37 of 119
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
Seriously, the fact that you all are up in arms over me using that analogy over why I prefer to nurse covered is very sad. It was the first thing that came to mind as I typed my response, and I already said that perhaps it wasn't the best choice to make my point, but the bottom line is that I PREFER to nurse covered. I should not have to defend modesty or manners. What a sad commentary on society.

And to suggest that it is about the babies' needs is ridiculous. If someone nurses in public with a cover, that does not mean they ignore their child's need to eat. How absurd. He nurses whenever he wants to - he just does it with a blankey people!
Obviously you have a right to your own opinion. I personally am not offended, though I don't agree with you. Like I said, I'm comfortabel with NIP, but that's me. I think we're making a mountain out of a mole hill. We all don't have to adhere to the typical Mothering.com practices in order to participate on this site do we?
post #38 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice
QUESTION: Is it normal for a newborn to nurse so often... its like, he will nurse for an hour, fall off on his own, and then start screaming and rooting within minutes. He does this all the time. He looks absolutly desperate to nurse, as if he hasn't eaten in a day. Its as though he's got to have a nipple in his mouth to be content. He poops about 6 times a day and wets a diaper every 1-2 hours. Its insane. He spits up a little every few feedings, but nothing major. I just don't get how he can eat so much. I'd really like a break!
Today he's had 2 long naps, but that's a first. I think maybe because its so hot.
yes
post #39 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
Seriously, the fact that you all are up in arms over me using that analogy over why I prefer to nurse covered is very sad. It was the first thing that came to mind as I typed my response, and I already said that perhaps it wasn't the best choice to make my point, but the bottom line is that I PREFER to nurse covered. I should not have to defend modesty or manners. What a sad commentary on society.

And to suggest that it is about the babies' needs is ridiculous. If someone nurses in public with a cover, that does not mean they ignore their child's need to eat. How absurd. He nurses whenever he wants to - he just does it with a blankey people!
not up in arms at all- dont have any hands free to be that way
Like I said, if you want to nurse covered up, go ahead. I am also covered up but I have a nursing top/bathing suit whatever on and I will do it in public to feed my baby which is her needs-sorry so riduculous. I am not doing a Jerry Springer routine and throwing my boobs out just feeding the baby.
No one is slamming you for sticking a blanket over the babys head, its the remark about peeing and again you said its the first thing that came to mind and we will move along. Again whether I agree w you or not- who cares, it wont be the first time: .
post #40 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustmom
We all don't have to adhere to the typical Mothering.com practices in order to participate on this site do we?

:

Thank you.

My dh was joking that the you lose your membership or your "street cred" on MDC if you don't do every single AP NFP thing there is to do!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: June 2006