or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe ~~ July!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Healing the Gut Tribe ~~ July!

post #1 of 554
Thread Starter 
Here's the new thread!
post #2 of 554
reposting from June thread:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Does anyone know how often an EBF baby should poop? I've read that it's normal for them to go up to a week between poops but I don't know if that's really accurate. DD has always pooped at least once a day, but since I started this new diet she has been pooping less frequently, more like every other day, and often smaller poops, too. As far as I could tell she has normal poops before.



My DD used to poop once ot wtice a day, sometimes she would skip a day or two then resume.

Now, however, she is horribly constipated. She is refusing to nurse due to a virus than caused sores in her mouth (day 8). She only eats pureed vegetables, bananas, egg yolks, meat and yogurt. she only accepts water to drink but not enough. Besides the epsom salt bath is there anything I can do? Will prunes help? Although she doesn't like frutis and juices except for bananas. Or would upping her CLO help?
By constipation I mean -hard balls in her diaper after a day of nothing, she's whyney all day long but that's probably due to being sick. How can I make her drink more?

Also, when can I start enzymes? which ones and how strong? The problem is that except for the bananas, everything is cooked.
She is turning 1 tomorrow.
Would culturelle be appropriate at this age.
Since she just quit nursing, should I get the Natren Life Start thing?
I assume she gets enough acidophilus from yogurt.

I'm worried about her nutrition. She lost a ton of weight. She was almost ebf until 8 days ago so now that she went cold turkey with bf, I'm really worried. I try to give her a lot of butter with her meat and veggies. How many egg yolks would provide enough cholesterol? She eats 1-2 a day.

Please help!!!

__________________________

Edina, Mama to Reuben 9-15-02 Lydia 9-26-03 and Betsy 7-3-05

"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;" Psalm 139:13-14a
post #3 of 554
Thread Starter 
EBG, I'm sorry about your little one!

I started giving dd enzymes before she was a year old. I started with a mild type that my naturopath gave us. Now we use Zyme Prime from Houston's. Go slowly with them though (like a tiny little sprinkle on her food.)

Are you pumping to keep up your milk supply? Perhaps she'll take b'milk in a sippy?

Does she like avocado? They are full of the good fats she needs.

Yes! You can give her diluted prune juice. (I often do.) How long has it been since she's had a bm? If it's really bad you can give her a glycerin suppository. That'll give her immediate relief. Fleet makes them for babies. (I'm sad to say that I know this all too well as we're battling constipation in our house again this weekend. )

Just mo, but I wouldn't up her clo right now. I'd focus on getting her to eat some more and start the enzymes.
post #4 of 554
Re: Nature Calm

Can't find it anywhere in Canada of course, but which do you think it the better product: Natural Calm or Calm Mama Formula ?

Also, I think the kids might need some to. How do I know for sure though. Just try it out and see if things improve for them? I'm very ingnorant of these issues.
If I do give the kids any (almost 4 and 2 years), should I just give the original Nature Calm (but with child-sized doses of course) or the Calm Kids Formula?

This purchase will be a one a long while type deal, because I'm sure the import surcharges will be quite pricey.

TIA
post #5 of 554
Thread Starter 
Siana,
I've been taking Natural Calm and to be honest, don't really see much difference in sleep either for me or for my b'fed dd.

I did, however, notice a difference in the way I felt when I took a liquid cal/mag supplement. But, that's just me.

I know firefaery and Jane use it and recommend it.

I thought about getting some Baby Calm for dd but never did. I guess you could just give a small dose but I wouldn't know how much.
post #6 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Jane, do I remember you warning against grapefruit seed extract? Or was it olive leaf extract? I seem to remember you mentioning something about one of these.

I was thinking of getting some GSE for dd1.
GSE kills good bacteria too, I'd be wary. It can make bad bacterial problems worse for that reason b/c I guess they are more resistant to it or something. I just remember warnings on various ASD parents list to be careful that you are really battling yeast, b/c if you are battling bacteria GSE won't help.

But someone posted a while back that it's been tested to not have any bacterial killing qualities at all, but I think that depends on the brand?
post #7 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamama
I am not following ya' here. A link between breastfeeding and Having a leaky gut?? Or not breastfeeding? What is your theory? I missed this detail!!
Thanks, Pat
That bf'ing WITH a leaky gut and intestinal flora imbalance is what leads to allergies/intolerances/sensitivities in your babe.
post #8 of 554
Siana,

Re: Natural Calm
I don't think you need the kids version. Just start with a lower amount, like 100mg. You might want to read about magnesium in the Nutrition/Immunology 101 thread in Vaccinations (darn that Search function tho!)

Other Canadian resources here:

http://uclbs.org/resources/miscellaneous.php
post #9 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Will prunes help? Although she doesn't like frutis and juices except for bananas. Or would upping her CLO help?
By constipation I mean -hard balls in her diaper after a day of nothing, she's whyney all day long but that's probably due to being sick. How can I make her drink more?

Also, when can I start enzymes? which ones and how strong? The problem is that except for the bananas, everything is cooked.
She is turning 1 tomorrow.
Would culturelle be appropriate at this age.
Since she just quit nursing, should I get the Natren Life Start thing?
I assume she gets enough acidophilus from yogurt.

I'm worried about her nutrition. She lost a ton of weight. She was almost ebf until 8 days ago so now that she went cold turkey with bf, I'm really worried. I try to give her a lot of butter with her meat and veggies. How many egg yolks would provide enough cholesterol? She eats 1-2 a day.


Culturelle is recommended and has been tested for all ages. I'm not sure about the Life Start bifidus ... since Elaine says that one overgrows. I do know that it excellent for EBF babes.

I think the amount of butter and egg yolks sound fine. What about trying some avocado pudding?

The BM in a sippy sounds like a great idea.

We usually never have constipation with DS so I'm not a good person to ask. DS reacts with really loose stool to most fruits and juices.
post #10 of 554
Thread Starter 
Siana, Here's the Nutrition/Immunology101thread.
post #11 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
reposting from June thread:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Does anyone know how often an EBF baby should poop? I've read that it's normal for them to go up to a week between poops but I don't know if that's really accurate. DD has always pooped at least once a day, but since I started this new diet she has been pooping less frequently, more like every other day, and often smaller poops, too. As far as I could tell she has normal poops before.



My DD used to poop once ot wtice a day, sometimes she would skip a day or two then resume.

Now, however, she is horribly constipated. She is refusing to nurse due to a virus than caused sores in her mouth (day 8). She only eats pureed vegetables, bananas, egg yolks, meat and yogurt. she only accepts water to drink but not enough. Besides the epsom salt bath is there anything I can do? Will prunes help? Although she doesn't like frutis and juices except for bananas. Or would upping her CLO help?
By constipation I mean -hard balls in her diaper after a day of nothing, she's whyney all day long but that's probably due to being sick. How can I make her drink more?

Also, when can I start enzymes? which ones and how strong? The problem is that except for the bananas, everything is cooked.
She is turning 1 tomorrow.
Would culturelle be appropriate at this age.
Since she just quit nursing, should I get the Natren Life Start thing?
I assume she gets enough acidophilus from yogurt.

I'm worried about her nutrition. She lost a ton of weight. She was almost ebf until 8 days ago so now that she went cold turkey with bf, I'm really worried. I try to give her a lot of butter with her meat and veggies. How many egg yolks would provide enough cholesterol? She eats 1-2 a day.

Please help!!!

__________________________

Edina, Mama to Reuben 9-15-02 Lydia 9-26-03 and Betsy 7-3-05

"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;" Psalm 139:13-14a
Edina are you pumping? You can be giving her pumped milk in her food. What all have you done to get her back to the breast? She really still needs your bm.

My friend used flax oil for constipation. I know a side effect of fish oil is diaherea so I say increase the oils! Also you can give her some magnesium. Increase her fluids. Does she eat pureed foods? Can you make them more liquidy or add bm to them? Also just follow her arround with a sippy cup. I know my dd tends to not drink a ton so I follow her arround with a sippy of water and keep offering and having it available for her. I have always done this.

I would wait on the enzymes personally untill this virus has run it's course so you aren't confused about what is causing what.

Be careful about fats. Get plenty into her but if she gets lots of fats at the begining of a meal it may signal her that she is full too soon and actually stop her from eating as much as she needs. One reason why the eat fat lose fat diet works is because you drink some coconut oil 20 min before every meal and it helps you feel full sooner. One reason why low fat diets are so hard to stick to is because fat is what triggers your satiation and if you don't get fat in a meal you may never feel satiated.

s
post #12 of 554
Thread Starter 
CAn yeast cause constipation?

DD1 has not had a bm going on 3 days now. Is this a yeast thing?

I'm trying to get her stool samples too. All she wants to eat is fruit, fruit, fruit and her new fave is raisins.

I think the sugar has her constipated. Does this make sense? She goes from mush to this every time. I don't get it.
post #13 of 554
I found a doctor who knows about "leaky gut"! It is even listed as something they commonly treat Good...someone who can do some tests and knows what she's talking about. She's a chiropractor...I never would have guessed. Sounds like they do a lot more than crack backs, hmmmm? Now I just have to try to get an appointment...hope it isn't booked for months. Wish me luck!
post #14 of 554
Is there a forum like the enzymestuff.com forum that is geared towards adults & kids who haven't been diagnosed with austism? I'd like to read more but feel like the enzymestuff forums might not be for me.
post #15 of 554
subscribing
post #16 of 554

Picky eaters and SCD

My son was 3 in June. He is highly allergic to eggs and he is a picky eater. How do kids who are picky eaters do on the SCD. I want to try this diet because my son has eczema(since 5 months old). He has been flared up for about a year and a half now and we are getting desperate. He cleared up briefly when we started giving him omega 3. He doesn't want to take a bath anymore or play in his pool because it hurts his legs. He wants to keep his footed pajamas on all day because when he takes them off he just sits and scratches.

He recently spent 3 days in the hospital because he had an allergy induced asthma attack. While in the hospital he had blood drawn for RAST testing. He showed up (on a scale of 1 to 6) a 6 on egg white and 5 on egg yolk plus he was a 2, which is moderately allergic, to wheat, soy, corn, peanuts and a bunch of grasses and trees. We had been eliminating wheat, corn and peanuts before he had the asthma attack. Then after we got the results back from the RAST test I have been at the end of my rope about what to feed him because I know pollen allergies can mean he cross reacts with alot of the stuff he eats like apples, carrots, celery, pears, peaches....everything it seems. He eats healthy. No junk food etc but he is really reluctant to try new things. Have any of you had good results with a picky eater on this diet? I guess I'm just scared he won't eat anything during the introductory days. He only weighs 28 pounds he can't afford to lose anything.

HELP

Edited to add: we knew about the egg allergy, we found that out on his first birthday, he broke out in hives after eating his cake. He hasn't had anything with egg in it since then so the eczema isn't caused by that.
post #17 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
EBG, I'm sorry about your little one!

I started giving dd enzymes before she was a year old. I started with a mild type that my naturopath gave us. Now we use Zyme Prime from Houston's. Go slowly with them though (like a tiny little sprinkle on her food.)

Are you pumping to keep up your milk supply? Perhaps she'll take b'milk in a sippy?

Does she like avocado? They are full of the good fats she needs.

Yes! You can give her diluted prune juice. (I often do.) How long has it been since she's had a bm? If it's really bad you can give her a glycerin suppository. That'll give her immediate relief. Fleet makes them for babies. (I'm sad to say that I know this all too well as we're battling constipation in our house again this weekend. )

Just mo, but I wouldn't up her clo right now. I'd focus on getting her to eat some more and start the enzymes.
I'm using Digest Gold for myself and my older DD. IS that too strong? I would just use a tiny bit of course.
She has 2 bm-s yesterday, both times it was a hard little ball in her butt.
She ate a little prune-apple mix with yogurt this morning, hope it helps.
I tried avocado, she doesn't like it. So I'll up her CLO, try to give her some CO (is that OK for babes?) and lots of butter...
post #18 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS


Culturelle is recommended and has been tested for all ages. I'm not sure about the Life Start bifidus ... since Elaine says that one overgrows. I do know that it excellent for EBF babes.

I think the amount of butter and egg yolks sound fine. What about trying some avocado pudding?

The BM in a sippy sounds like a great idea.

We usually never have constipation with DS so I'm not a good person to ask. DS reacts with really loose stool to most fruits and juices.


I tried bm in a sippy cup several times, she doesn't take it. I tried from a bottle, from a soft spout cup and her regular sippy cup. She only accepts water as a drink. I can try to mix it in food, but will it harm the milk? Lukewarm food of course.
Still trying to pump. Still trying to nurse. Been 9 days.
post #19 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logansmom
My son was 3 in June. He is highly allergic to eggs and he is a picky eater. How do kids who are picky eaters do on the SCD. I want to try this diet because my son has eczema(since 5 months old). He has been flared up for about a year and a half now and we are getting desperate. He cleared up briefly when we started giving him omega 3. He doesn't want to take a bath anymore or play in his pool because it hurts his legs. He wants to keep his footed pajamas on all day because when he takes them off he just sits and scratches.

He recently spent 3 days in the hospital because he had an allergy induced asthma attack. While in the hospital he had blood drawn for RAST testing. He showed up (on a scale of 1 to 6) a 6 on egg white and 5 on egg yolk plus he was a 2, which is moderately allergic, to wheat, soy, corn, peanuts and a bunch of grasses and trees. We had been eliminating wheat, corn and peanuts before he had the asthma attack. Then after we got the results back from the RAST test I have been at the end of my rope about what to feed him because I know pollen allergies can mean he cross reacts with alot of the stuff he eats like apples, carrots, celery, pears, peaches....everything it seems. He eats healthy. No junk food etc but he is really reluctant to try new things. Have any of you had good results with a picky eater on this diet? I guess I'm just scared he won't eat anything during the introductory days. He only weighs 28 pounds he can't afford to lose anything.

HELP

Edited to add: we knew about the egg allergy, we found that out on his first birthday, he broke out in hives after eating his cake. He hasn't had anything with egg in it since then so the eczema isn't caused by that.

Have you tried enzymes?
Enzymedica makes one for allergies, called Allerase. It's high amounts of amylese. Taken between meals.
With meals you could try Digest, Digest Gold or the Houston enzymes -Zyme-Prime because they digest everything, not just one specific food. Also, No-Fenol could help with vegetables and fruits.
post #20 of 554
Quote:
He is highly allergic to eggs and he is a picky eater. How do kids who are picky eaters do on the SCD.
For my oldest son's egg allergy, I went and had NAET on his behalf. Now it appears that he can eat eggs. He is my pickiest eater. He has been been scd for a week. I wouldn't say it is going well. He did eat an apple for the first time in years. I told him he could cheat if he read the drivers book, we got him a permit, and he drove his self, with dh or myself. He is 17, and on a list of life skills to learn this year, driving is the one that we and our friends thought would be unrealistic for him. We'll see.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe ~~ July!