or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe ~~ July!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Healing the Gut Tribe ~~ July! - Page 27

post #521 of 554
Erikaz - So why was that key? Because you realized you werent responding to diflucan? Did you use enzymes, probiotics, etc through this, and what is your opinion? Also, by *pure* diet, what do you mean? Before this happened, I *never* (i.e. strongly try to avoid) ate white flour, white sugar, white food in general. I dont drink juice, just water with lemon or emergen-c ... my *junk food* was chocolate, in the form of vegan, barley malt sweetened chocolate chips whatever. So I dont consider my diet horribly impure before, until those 2 wks where I just craved carbs (had some white bread, ben and jerry's fro-yo, etc). Anyway, now I am eating eggs, meat and nuts, and some veggies, although im finding them not appealing. Im not craving carbs, but im never sated, more importantly, im never full. I feel hungry all day because there just isent enought kinds of food I want to eat (one can only eat so much meat eggs and nuts before you just cant stand it anymore - I was forcing chicken last night because of hunger, but it was so unappealing). I drink lime in water by the buckets, as my accu also recommended this since yeast hates lime. And that's it. When Im hungry, I drink a lot of water. Its crazy. Im a thin woman to start, I literally dont know how long I can do this before i start to look emaciated. And as for die-off effects; its so hard to tell if I just feel like sheit b/c Im starving and have no blood sugar, or am I depressed b/c this brings back the loss so accutely, or is it die-off.

So once you had the consultation and figured this out, how long did it take for you to feel like you were cured? What does cured even mean? You dont react to trigger foods anymore? Can you say overwhelmed on all fronts!!!!!

Caedmyn - I understand that protease is *supposed* to help with killing the yeast and with die-off, but how do we know this is true? There are so many claims out there nd products to go with them ya know. I will definitely check out the yahoo group. Thanks

Thanks again ladies
post #522 of 554
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Annikate- DD had the same result. I have decided that the result means nothing since it also said that she had 0 yeast and she obviously has a yeast problem. We have decided to not do the oat test but instead rely on the symptoms that all point to yeast for her and me.
Actually the things I saw were in dd2's poopy. And maybe they were just grapes.

Since I know so little about yeast I only suspected it in dd1 and her CDSA showed *borderline* yeast. (I suspect the yogurt has helped some.)

DD2 onthe other hand, may have a lot (?) I guess I'll know when her results come back.

Weird how your dd's did not show any.

I'd hate to think I'm wasting my $ this way yk!?
post #523 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom
Erikaz - So why was that key? Because you realized you werent responding to diflucan? Did you use enzymes, probiotics, etc through this, and what is your opinion? Also, by *pure* diet, what do you mean? Before this happened, I *never* (i.e. strongly try to avoid) ate white flour, white sugar, white food in general. I dont drink juice, just water with lemon or emergen-c ... my *junk food* was chocolate, in the form of vegan, barley malt sweetened chocolate chips whatever. So I dont consider my diet horribly impure before, until those 2 wks where I just craved carbs (had some white bread, ben and jerry's fro-yo, etc). Anyway, now I am eating eggs, meat and nuts, and some veggies, although im finding them not appealing. Im not craving carbs, but im never sated, more importantly, im never full. I feel hungry all day because there just isent enought kinds of food I want to eat (one can only eat so much meat eggs and nuts before you just cant stand it anymore - I was forcing chicken last night because of hunger, but it was so unappealing). I drink lime in water by the buckets, as my accu also recommended this since yeast hates lime. And that's it. When Im hungry, I drink a lot of water. Its crazy. Im a thin woman to start, I literally dont know how long I can do this before i start to look emaciated. And as for die-off effects; its so hard to tell if I just feel like sheit b/c Im starving and have no blood sugar, or am I depressed b/c this brings back the loss so accutely, or is it die-off.

So once you had the consultation and figured this out, how long did it take for you to feel like you were cured? What does cured even mean? You dont react to trigger foods anymore? Can you say overwhelmed on all fronts!!!!!
I only have a second because I need to get out of the house but you sound so much like me...I can totally relate. I'm also on the thin side and having such a limited diet I was on the verge of looking/feeling too thin. I'm also ttc and I don't want to go off the deep end limiting too many food groups. It's way too easy to just stop eating much at all because you feel like you're reacting to everything.
I think the key for me was working with a gasteroenterologist who happens to know a heck of a lot about gut permeability/yeast overgrowth. He put me on the right antifungals for my specific yeast. Prior to that I was feeling much better than I had before any treatments but once I started this regimen it was 100x better.
As for my diet being *pure* - what I meant by that was I didn't eat any possible foods that might be yeast friendly and did not eat or drink anything processed. Occassionally I'd eat some sprouted grain tortillas or something like that but I tried to eat as simply as possible. Like you I was hungry all of the time and never felt sustained. It sucked. This is why I'm having a hard time sticking with it this time around.
post #524 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom

Caedmyn - I understand that protease is *supposed* to help with killing the yeast and with die-off, but how do we know this is true? There are so many claims out there nd products to go with them ya know. I will definitely check out the yahoo group. Thanks
I don't know if there have been studies or if it is just based on people's experiences with proteases. I know JaneS said that enzymes in between meals helped her and I believe she had some yeast issues.

Lots of fats (coconut oil, butter, olive oil) will help you with the low blood sugar/hunger issues.
post #525 of 554
I'm so overwhelmed with everything I've read so far about the gut. It's going to take a while before the whole thing begins to take shape in my mind, I suppose. Much like when I researched nutrition. That said, has anyone (here) ever been "cured" of their stomach ailments via conventional approaches? At what point do I decide ds' gastroentenologist isn't helping us solve the problem? The thing is that the laxative he's on may very well "fix" him, especially if his issues are mostly the result of a stretched rectum (therefore not "feeling" the need for a bowel movement until he's all stretched). I would like to possibly substitute magnesium for some of his laxative doses, since I think he could use it anyways.

So, at what point did you give up on your (conventional) gastroentenologist?
post #526 of 554

Colonics???

Ok, so I tracked down the only (?) alternative health place in my area. I check out their website and I only see references to overall health, better sleep, weight loss. I called to find out if they work with IBS-type problems, healing the gut, that sort of thing, and the receptionist tells me, "Colonics." Huh? She says for me to go on the internet and look up that colonics would be all I need for that. They do colonics, they are good for everyone for everything. "It is just like washing your car, washing out your carburator (sp): they are good no matter if your car is new or old, broken or fine, they are good for you."

So tell me is it true (sarcasm)? All this discussion here on bacterial overgrowth, yeast, etc., can all be canned because we all just need to run out and have a colonic done? My gosh, it is so simple!!!

Back to reality: Ok, now what do I do?? What kind of a doc should I be looking for? I simply cannot afford to have an appointment with every gut doc in town hoping against hope for one who has his/her head out of his/her arse and has heard of leaky gut or anything else slightly alternative. Nor can I afford to visit with every 'naturopathic' nutcase who just wants to rinse me out or give me a rubdown or stick needles in me (no offense to any who might find acupuncture helpful for their gut; I just doubt a session or two is going to heal me, nor is a massage or two). Should I aim for calling every D.O. in town and ask if they have experience with healing guts? Or just scrap getting help and focus on helping myself? What about tests? Could it be that I possibly actually don't need any testing and just need to experiment with what works for me?

Now for the million dollar question: I know this is called healing the gut, but, will there ever be a day when I don't have to fear certain foods? Will there ever be a day I can eat trigger foods without paying the price? Is it truly possible to make this all better and move beyond it, looking back at the experience and laughing nervously?
post #527 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit
I'm so overwhelmed with everything I've read so far about the gut. It's going to take a while before the whole thing begins to take shape in my mind, I suppose.

So, at what point did you give up on your (conventional) gastroentenologist?
Hi and !! I am brand new to this tribe, too, and feeling much the way you are, overwhelmed with all the info. May our journey to full enlightenment be quick (and painless LOL)!

To answer your second question, I believe I have already given up on mine, as well as all conventional gut doctoring; and this after only my first-ever visit only three weeks ago. I actually wish I had come here first before scheduling an appt with him. But, alas, what is done is done, and it was actually my frustration with him that gave me the final kick to click on here in addition to finding new avenues for making myself better that seem to be working.

Best of luck to you!
post #528 of 554
Quick question,

Presently, I am taking 1T high vit CLO, and my boys are both taking 1/2t each. With it being summer, should we decrease our levels?

Thanks
Amy
post #529 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierratahoe
Ok, so I tracked down the only (?) alternative health place in my area. I check out their website and I only see references to overall health, better sleep, weight loss. I called to find out if they work with IBS-type problems, healing the gut, that sort of thing, and the receptionist tells me, "Colonics." Huh? She says for me to go on the internet and look up that colonics would be all I need for that. They do colonics, they are good for everyone for everything. "It is just like washing your car, washing out your carburator (sp): they are good no matter if your car is new or old, broken or fine, they are good for you."

So tell me is it true (sarcasm)? All this discussion here on bacterial overgrowth, yeast, etc., can all be canned because we all just need to run out and have a colonic done? My gosh, it is so simple!!!

Back to reality: Ok, now what do I do?? What kind of a doc should I be looking for? I simply cannot afford to have an appointment with every gut doc in town hoping against hope for one who has his/her head out of his/her arse and has heard of leaky gut or anything else slightly alternative. Nor can I afford to visit with every 'naturopathic' nutcase who just wants to rinse me out or give me a rubdown or stick needles in me (no offense to any who might find acupuncture helpful for their gut; I just doubt a session or two is going to heal me, nor is a massage or two). Should I aim for calling every D.O. in town and ask if they have experience with healing guts? Or just scrap getting help and focus on helping myself? What about tests? Could it be that I possibly actually don't need any testing and just need to experiment with what works for me?

Now for the million dollar question: I know this is called healing the gut, but, will there ever be a day when I don't have to fear certain foods? Will there ever be a day I can eat trigger foods without paying the price? Is it truly possible to make this all better and move beyond it, looking back at the experience and laughing nervously?
Are you pregnant (can't remember)? Colonics are NOT recommended during pregnancy.

Honestly, IMO unless you find a doctor who really really knows what they are doing, you are better off trying to fix things yourself. Yes, it will be way more time consuming, confusing, overwhelming, etc (I've been there!). But you will learn a ton (I know I have) and you can heal yourself (I'm still working on that part of it, although my DD has shown some definite improvements).

Hopefully JaneS will post in answer to your question--I believe she had IBS or some sort of major gut problem and is now cured with no problem foods. There is a thread somewhere in this forum called "SCD Success Stories"...if you search for it, I believe her story is on there.
post #530 of 554
Actually, I just got a referral to see a GI specialist. I am curious to hear what he has to say, although it better not be IBS, as I don't think that is what I have. I would like to know what is my tender/squishy spot. I am pretty certain it is not an ovarian cyst. I had an ultrasound of all my feminine parts and they all checked out fine.

I have started feeling icky after eating, kind of nausous. What does that mean?

This would not be the first time that I get a Western diagnosis (from an allopathic doc) and then treat it alternatively. But who knows, maybe the GI doc would actually be helpful, although I am really not holding my breath.
post #531 of 554
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
I have started feeling icky after eating, kind of nausous. What does that mean?
Could mean gallbladder troubles.

Hope you find some answers soon.
post #532 of 554
Thread Starter 
What do you all think of this product:
http://worldnutrition.info/vitalzym_enzyme.html

My new homeopathic dentist recommended it for dd.

I haven't read it over yet & one thing we did not discuss was enzymes (one of the ONLY things we didn't discuss - ) so it may just be another broad spectrum product.

He also recommended this for me to take while b'feeding dd:
http://www.luminahealth.com/
post #533 of 554
Serrapeptase - read about this at enzymestuff.com. Was this the one that had a controversy?

Otherwise it looks like a pretty normal digestive enzyme mix. The rutin and amla are natural bioflavoniod and vit. C that you could get elsewhere if this product is too expensive.

Is the product Cellfood? An oxygen thing? Reading the ingredients and processes are giving me a headache. I don't know what it's supposed to do.

Do a search at www.Onibasu.com. Andy Cutler has mentioned and the WAPF Chapter Leaders group too.
post #534 of 554
Hi everyone - new to the thread...and IBS. I think I have just about every symptom - but I know that it's "rule-out" thing... I'm just wondering how long it will take them to *rule-out* everything... and also other than the IBS dietary changes I've read about online - do you have any tips?

Subbing to the thread although tomorrow is 8/1 so there will probably be a new one anyway. :
post #535 of 554
I see my name and plans for sticking poop somewhere where the sun don't shine is being taken in vain... but I'm exhausted from hell week w/ DS tonight. Will be back ...
post #536 of 554
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Do a search at www.Onibasu.com. Andy Cutler has mentioned and the WAPF Chapter Leaders group too.
Yep, I knew I had seen this somewhere before. I'm still studying it.

Get some rest. I should too as dd was up EVERY hour and 1/2 last night (after making BIG BIG progress too.)
post #537 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierratahoe
Ok, so I tracked down the only (?) alternative health place in my area. I check out their website and I only see references to overall health, better sleep, weight loss. I called to find out if they work with IBS-type problems, healing the gut, that sort of thing, and the receptionist tells me, "Colonics." Huh? She says for me to go on the internet and look up that colonics would be all I need for that. They do colonics, they are good for everyone for everything. "It is just like washing your car, washing out your carburator (sp): they are good no matter if your car is new or old, broken or fine, they are good for you."

So tell me is it true (sarcasm)? All this discussion here on bacterial overgrowth, yeast, etc., can all be canned because we all just need to run out and have a colonic done? My gosh, it is so simple!!!

Back to reality: Ok, now what do I do?? What kind of a doc should I be looking for? I simply cannot afford to have an appointment with every gut doc in town hoping against hope for one who has his/her head out of his/her arse and has heard of leaky gut or anything else slightly alternative. Nor can I afford to visit with every 'naturopathic' nutcase who just wants to rinse me out or give me a rubdown or stick needles in me (no offense to any who might find acupuncture helpful for their gut; I just doubt a session or two is going to heal me, nor is a massage or two). Should I aim for calling every D.O. in town and ask if they have experience with healing guts? Or just scrap getting help and focus on helping myself? What about tests? Could it be that I possibly actually don't need any testing and just need to experiment with what works for me?

Now for the million dollar question: I know this is called healing the gut, but, will there ever be a day when I don't have to fear certain foods? Will there ever be a day I can eat trigger foods without paying the price? Is it truly possible to make this all better and move beyond it, looking back at the experience and laughing nervously?
You crack me up.
What I would do if I were you is to find someone who can order and translate a CDSA (comprehensive diagnostic stool analysis). When I did mine a bunch of years ago Great Smokies Diagnostic Lab were the gold standard but their might be a better lab now. Usually the practitioners who can get one for you are progressive MDs/DOs, chiropractors, and acupunturists.
As for colonics - I had one when I was in the midst of my first crisis with all of this stuff and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. It was so ungodly uncomfortable because I was so impacted with so much crap (literally) that it basically backfired - it just hurt like a mother and she was unable to get anything out. I was left completely embarrassed and frustrated. The woman who did the colonic came highly recommended - and she was so comforting. She basically said I had a huge problem and that colonics were too invasive for me. So, I went home and began doing fasts and enemas. That REALLY worked. The enemas RULED. I know people fear them but they are so beneficial. Of course...not to be done if you are pregnant!!
As for eating trigger foods - you should one day be able to eat them in small amounts every blue moon. There might be foods that you can never eat again. I should know...I went gangbusters when my symptoms went away throughout my pregnany and post partum and now I'm paying the price.
post #538 of 554
I'm all reading about that cellfood and thinking about incorporating it into my cancer plan. I can't really find any info on it at that website you mentioned, Jane. Any thoughts?
post #539 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierratahoe

Now for the million dollar question: I know this is called healing the gut, but, will there ever be a day when I don't have to fear certain foods? Will there ever be a day I can eat trigger foods without paying the price? Is it truly possible to make this all better and move beyond it, looking back at the experience and laughing nervously?
Yup, this is how I feel too. Except that not only is it me having reactions to certain foods/suppliments it is my baby who is getting everything through my breastmilk. I don't feel like anything is a 'safe' food right now. It makes me want to give up. I know this sounds horrible but if I gave DS formula at least he would be having the same thing every meal.

I forwarded my Mom some articles about the negatives of eating soy. Her response today was, "I gave you soy milk and formula, maybe that is why you were so small at a year old."
post #540 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
This is not to you in particular, just thinking out loud...

I'm questioning this, but have little to go on right now. One thing that bothers me is that Elaine has said that she was not an expert in probiotics. Basically she was just following Dr. Haas' diet and just studied basically how it works.

However, our kids now have many more assaults on their gut flora than in Dr. Haas' day. Steriods, Antibiotics, Vaccines. Messing with their initial colonization especially as most births are medicalized. I'm currently of the mind that DS never had a good mix of gut flora to being with, so he needs many more strains than just the dairy strains in yogurt.

Just before I started stool testing and removing all supplements with DS, I put him on some different probiotics. Mt. Capra makes a goat's milk probiotic (which is now being hawked by Mercola under his own brand for more $.) And some small amounts of Primal Defense powder (ingredients are just probiotics and grasses.)

I have been putting Nature's Way Reuteri in his yogurt culture for a while now as well. But he is reacting a bit to the dairy in them I think.

But what I've found is that all of a sudden he's tolerating much more fruits. It took quite a while for me to induce diarrhea for his test even though he's been off of enzymes for a week . He's had perfect poops. I gave him rice and applesauce. Perfect. Raw strawberries finally did it though. Poor bunny, he was up 3x last night and is sooo tired. I probably should have just od'd him on magnesium in hindsight.

But anyways, the SCD is not working for DS because he obviously needs more strains of probiotics in order to heal. He was already on 1-2 gallons of 24h SCD legal goat yogurt/week for many months to no effect. My current theory is that he never had good gut colonization to begin with. He probably doesn't have the nascent good bacteria to regrow like an adult who goes on SCD to good effect.

What do others think? MT told me this a while ago, but I've had a hard time finding dairy free full spectrum probiotics and we were trying other things.

It's very distressing that there is STILL so little that is known about probiotics and gut flora.

My current fantasy is getting his bowels implanted with full spectrum of healthy gut flora from an Amish child raised on BM/raw milk and no drugs/vaxs. Called Human Probiotic Infusion: http://www.probiotictherapy.com.au/

But for now, I cannot wait to get him done with testing and back on tons of full spectrum probiotics in addition to yogurt.
There are many things you mention here that are relevant for DS and me.
*Ds and I had antibiotics at his birth, so I know that he didn't start out having the best gut flora. What is the best way to get a broad spectrum of flora in there, without kidnapping an Amish child? I am eating SCD 24 hr yogurt but am not currently giving him anything.

*I know we are fighting yeast, but I feel like whenever I try to step up yeast fighting measures (tried Candex, too harsh made eczema flair, I think) now am starting with V-gest (.5 capsule with meals) his eczema flairs again. I cannot tell what the eczema flairup is from. I honestly do not think I have the will power to start SCD all over and stay on the intro (for weeks?) and go to the bare minimum (not even any suppliments) I am not convinced that his eczema is all diet based anyway.

*does fermenting foods bring about different strains of bacteria than the 24 hr yogurt has to offer?

*If I heal my gut (who knows how long that will take) will he get good bacteria from my breastmilk? Will it be enough to counteract the poor start?

* How did you go about healing your DS's eczema?


I feel very discouraged, I have been on SCD for about 6 weeks and although I feel like my yeast is getting a little better on the diet DS's eczema keeps flaring up. I need more yogurt ( I currently have a few tablespoons a day) and probiotics to help with the yeast as well as some yeast fighters but they all seem to bother DS (eczema flare ups)

Thanks JaneS for all of your wisdom.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut Tribe ~~ July!