or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › August 2006 › Anyone still NOT decided on vacs/GBS?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone still NOT decided on vacs/GBS?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I am SOOO behind the game that I am going to have my mind made up strictly by default.
I have NO idea where I stand on the GBS test or the rest of the procedures that you can wave at birth. What the heck. I don't even have the energy to research these points. I know circ is out if we are wrong about the gender and I know the one for gonerhea is also out. What are the other ones and what did you guys decide? Why? I want my husband to make this decision for a change to let me off the hook from doing more research! Yeah, THAT isn't going to happen.
post #2 of 29
I've been busily researching these the past few days. I have my GBS test tomorrow, but am not sure what I'll do if it comes back positive (I'll be 36 weeks +1). I'm leaning against the vitamin K shot, and am uncertain about the eye drop antibiotics. I'm going to ask my midwife tomorrow if I can get tested for the STDs that the antibiotics treat and if they come back negative, I'll probably skip the eye drops/ointment.

I'm looking forward to reading more responses, these are tough decisions. Can't wait 'til I have to make decisions on vax

--kristin
post #3 of 29
so glad you posted this... I've been meaning to post about vaccines... we're still lost in the woods on this one. Ugh.

I decided to have GBS screening (did a week of 1 clove of garlic vaginally each night & double dosing of acidolphilous prior) & it came back negative. Not sure what I'd do if it was positive.

After birth, we will decline Vit K unless baby has any risk factors for hemmoragic disease of the newborn (vacuum, forceps, c-section, low birth weight, etc in which case we'd get the injection, not oral), decline Hep B at birth (can't see ANY reason for that), decline eye antibiotics. No circ.

DH & I both agree on all of these points (thankfully), but are both clueless about what to do about the vaccination schedule from 2 mos onward. We have books on the subject (& college degrees in other subjects!), but are just completely overwhelmed. How did you all make your decision on vaccination?
post #4 of 29
undecided here.

leaning toward:

no vacs
no gbs antibiotics even though i tested positive

no vacs seems easier than the gbs thing

i retest on thursday for gbs...i just hope it has gone away.
post #5 of 29
Ugh. I'm sucking on these issues, too.

I considered refusing the GBS test, because I don't want to be on the IV drip throughout labor (which is what happens at hospital births here) but the midwife assures me that they can offer three intermittent 30-minute doses instead of the continuous deal. Which sounds tolerable.

So. I don't know. She's pretty supportive either way. The odds of having a baby with GBS seem so small, even if I WERE positive, that I'm just torn.

And the vax issue... well, I'm a mess there. I plan to delay till I can get my homework done, and REALLY done, on the issue. I guess if that means waiting till the kid is 18 and can make her own decisions, so be it.

I find myself having less and less faith in the medical industry with every passing week. It's all about the almighty $$$ to them... nothing is as it seems.

Sigh.
post #6 of 29
I tested positive for GBS but my midwife recommends a douche of ChlorHexadine during labor (poor husband can't bring himself to say the word DOUCHE -- he keeps calling it a FLUSH ) so we don't have to go the antibiotics route.

We are going to deny Vitk and the eye goop, but we';ll do the PKU.
post #7 of 29
I tested neg for GBS.
We'll be at the very least delaying vax. I figure, we can always have it done later but we can't undo them. I am uncomfortable with the idea that my child needs to have his/her immune system bombarded with that stuff so early on.
I am skipping the eye drops. I asked to be tested for STD's at one of my first appts. just to have it in my file and help ward off any pushy drs/nurses.
We will be doing the vit K and PKU. I really struggled with the K shot descision, and who knows, I might change my mind again at the last minute.
post #8 of 29
I'm still undecided about GBS too. I didn't do it with my other two, but it was sort of by accident that it didn't happen. I may bring it up at my appointment today, since I forgot to mention it at the home visit, but maybe I'll forget again! I definitely wouldn't go to the hospital just because I was GBS+, but I would consider alternative treatments or oral antibiotics.

Definitely no eye goop or vitamin K here, though I've been taking extra vitamin K myself since 34 weeks for what it's worth.

We'll try to do the PKU test again. It only worked with our first baby. But we'll let the midwives do it, and can always let the ped try too on our 3-4 day visit to her office.

As for vaxes...originally we were in the "need to do more research" mode, planning on delaying and selectively vaxing starting at age 2. Well, the more research I did, the more I was opposed. I downloaded the PDF trial results from the actual vaccine manufacturers, and it really amazed me to see just how ineffective vaxes are in a considerable percentage, and how fast any immunity fades in many cases, plus the exhaustive list of side effects...and this is from the people trying to SELL this junk to us! Then I read everything from the CDC that I could find. Plus I read a few books on the subject (it's nearly impossible to find an unbiased author, but it was still informative). Top it off with 3 cases of autism in our families (2 on my side, 1 on my husband's) and the possibility of a genetic link, and I do not want to risk injecting any of the preservatives like mercury, aluminum, formaldehyde, etc. into our children.
So in the end I'm now very against, and my husband is on the fence about a few. He's asked our pediatrician about which vaccines she thinks are "safe" so that we could just do those, and her response is always "none of them are safe, but if you want any done you can always go to your public health department office"; she's a pediatrician, an M.D., with priviledges at Children's Hospital Boston, and she doesn't think they're worth the risk with the exception of the occasional dose of tetanus.
So nope. I'm not consenting to any vaccines. Although I realize it's within my husband's rights to take the children himself if he decided to (which of course I hope he would never do, and doubt he would).

- Krista
post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 
Sounds like most of us are in the same boat. I think the vit K is the tricky one And the GBS. For me anyways.
post #10 of 29
I have been studying all these a lot lately. We decided:

Circumcision is out.

No Hep B vax.

No Vit K shot. But we did buy the oral drops and will give those ourselves. (only way dh felt comfortable and I like having the back up)

No eye goop. It's supposed to be the law to get it but I had the std tests early on and know that I don't have any so I'm not doing it.

I did have the GBS swab at my last appt. I'll find out the results today. Hoping to be neg. If not I'm going to talk to her about alternatives to the antibiotics (like the "flush" above, lol). I still wasn't decided about it then and I'm still not sure about it.

As for vaxes after the hospital. I'm strongly leaning to no vaxes. Dh isn't so sure but the more reading I do, the more I'm convinced that like ferrettoes said, it's more about the $ than safety for the babies. I'm at least going to delay until I'm 100% sure.

PKU I'm probably going to do, but I've read that it's more accurate after the baby has been nursing 3-4 days so I'm not sure about having it done at the hospital. Don't know if our ped does it at his office though, so I'm still not sure on that one.
post #11 of 29
GBS neg.

Declining vit k and eye ointment. Hep B isn't even offered here until age 12, but I would decline it if it were.

Doing the PKU.
post #12 of 29
Doing research on VAX has been on my TO DO list since early in this pregnancy, but I have not had the energy to open this can of worms... I know it is going to freak me out either way if I think about it too much. I wish someone would do it for me : , but alas, I think I may be stuck figuring this one out on my own.
post #13 of 29
Looks like I am in the same boat as most of you. Dh & I decided against Vit K and eye ointment. Still trying to figure out the whole vaccination thing. Definitely decided to delay them until we do more research. Leaning on selecting certain vaccinations, but not really sure which ones. I had my GBS test this morning. I hope it comes out neg or else that will be something else to consider. I am not fond of antibiotics, so I will probably have another test done or try some alternate treatment.
post #14 of 29
I am waffling on doing the GBS test on Friday.

I know, without a sliver of doubt, that there will be *no* vaccinations for our babe. I know two local families who lost their babies to "SIDS" within 48 hours of their 3 mo. vaccinations. I also saw my nephew go from normal two year old, to a little boy with Autistic tendencies (he's now "severely" Autistic) within a week of his 2 year shots.

Just seeing what I have first hand, there is no way on Earth my child will get any of those shots.
post #15 of 29
I'm GBS + and I will be getting the IV antibiotics. It decreases the risk of baby contracting GBS by a huge amount (I believe it's 1/200 if you don't get the antibiotics, and 1/4000 if you do), and if I get them in my system soon enough, then baby doesn't need to have bloodwork done at birth (which involves getting blood out of an arm . . . that can't be easy to do on a newborn, not to mention the ouch factor). GBS can be really serious, so I'd rather not take any unneccessary risks. Even though I'd rather not do the antibiotics (I have terrible yeast/thrush problems when nursing . . . so as soon as the antibiotics hit my system the yeast is sure to form a conga line straight to my breasts), I just don't want to risk my baby contracting GBS.

I will be doing the vit K shot. I had looked into oral for baby, but the oral is not as effective as the shot. Again, I'd rather not do a shot, but that seems to be the best choice for baby's safety.

No eye goo . . . I do not have, nor ever have had, STDs. So no reason to do it.

No Hep B shot. I don't have Hep B, so baby is not at risk. Again, no reason to do it.

Absolutely doing the PKU. That's important, life-saving information to have.

No future vaxes for a while. My 4yo is completely vaxed through 2 years. My 2yo had a reaction to one of his 6 month shots and hasn't had any vaxes since. I started researching and it's scary stuff. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be a "right" answer when it comes to vaccines. It's so hard to know what to do, but I don't want to take a chance on my 2yo having a more serious reaction to the next shot . . . and don't really want to chance new baby's life either since big brother had a reaction.
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmk
I'm GBS + and I will be getting the IV antibiotics. It decreases the risk of baby contracting GBS by a huge amount (I believe it's 1/200 if you don't get the antibiotics, and 1/4000 if you do), and if I get them in my system soon enough, then baby doesn't need to have bloodwork done at birth (which involves getting blood out of an arm . . . that can't be easy to do on a newborn, not to mention the ouch factor). GBS can be really serious, so I'd rather not take any unneccessary risks. Even though I'd rather not do the antibiotics (I have terrible yeast/thrush problems when nursing . . . so as soon as the antibiotics hit my system the yeast is sure to form a conga line straight to my breasts), I just don't want to risk my baby contracting GBS.
There are other treatments for GBS. Abx is not risk free. It increases the risk of other things, such as e. coli. The other problem is abx resistant strains of GBS. Countries that do not use routine abx for GBS have similar outcomes as North America. If I were GBS +, I would only have abx if I had other risk factors, such as prolonged rupture of membranes, high maternal fever.

Not trying to debate your decision personally. Just putting another side out there.

There are also risks to vit. k.
post #17 of 29
Thread Starter 
the lissa: What are the risks with Vitamin K? That is the one I am mainly stuck on.
post #18 of 29
The vax forum will have more info, but the one thing I can remember off the top of my head is a study that shows a correlation between the vit k shot and childhood leukemia. Correlation, not causation though.

The other thing about vit k is that it has all the chemical preservatives that other vaccines have that worry me.

Also, the blanket vit k recommendation came about when almost no one breastfed, and colostrum is actually a good source of vit. k, especially if the mom eats a good diet.

The oral vit. k is a good alternative for those who are worried about the risks of the shot, but still want to gie vit. k.
post #19 of 29
We're doing Vit K, PKU, and GBS was negative.

We are delaying vaxs at this point. I've been reading one of Aviva Jill Romm's books about vaxs (probably one of the closest to giving information both for and against) and it's really freaked me out.

My ds was fully vax'd up to age 2, and I won't be proceeding with anymore vax's for him. I've already written a letter (for school purposes) declining all vaxes due to religious reasons for him.

At this point, there *may* be a time that I feel a certain vax is worth the risks, but at this point, I can't imagine why. Dh is totally onboard (thankfully).

One thing that really hit me while reading Romm's book is that vaccine manufacturers have NO liability and admit NO fault for vaccine injury. They cannot be held liable for a death due to vaccine, etc. Instead, it goes through the Fed Gov't (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and *if* a settlement comes into play, it's a no-fault settlement. So, in my opinion, vaccine manufacturers have very little motivation for making vaccines safer than they currently are.

And, what veganf mentioned about the effectiveness also bothers me. At this point, we really have no idea how long a vax lasts or even if it's effective. I was checking out my state's preventable illnesses info and found that there was an unusually HIGH # of kids who were vaxed for flu, and still came down with it (just one example). So, I just wonder how well the vaxs even work.
post #20 of 29
the_lissa,
You mentioned that there are also risks to vit. k. I've been trying to find this information but so far have not been able to. Could you explain some of the risks of the vit K shot? And are there also risks with the oral drops?
Are the oral drops and the shot equally as effective?
Still haven't decided on the Vit K- need more information.

We are not doing any vax for at least 2-3 years, after that possibly the tetanus but we're not totally sure yet. That is the only one that I'm even leaning towards at all.

No eye ointment. I took the test for the STDs and there's no reason for it.

Will do the PKU, buy we prefer to wait for as long as possible. I don't want one of the first experiences our child has to be painful at all. I read that it is most effective 3-4 days after birth, but I'm not sure if it has to be done before we leave the hospital or if it can be done at the peds office a few days later?

No Hep B shot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2006
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › August 2006 › Anyone still NOT decided on vacs/GBS?