or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › September 2006 › IS anyone pretty sure they're gonna end up with a C'section?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IS anyone pretty sure they're gonna end up with a C'section? - Page 2

post #21 of 47
Saw this under new posts and wanted to reply. I measured several weeks ahead with my dd, it wasn't that she was so big(8lb 2oz). But instead of staying in that nice little curled up fetal position she prefered too stretch out and be comfy! LOL
My last one was 9lb 2oz, I had no problems delivering.
Wish you the best!!
post #22 of 47
From here on out I will have to have C-Sections. My pelvic bone is an odd shape and it's heriditary, my mother had 3 C's. IMOP, I thought it was going to be a lot worse but it wasn't. I was comletely pain free within a week. And the meds my dr gave me were bf'ing safe My little guy had no side affects from what I was taking. Good luck to you, and don't worry if you have to have a C-section.....it's not that bad!
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2wearbaby04
anyways, in brief, I do feel like my OB is very short and doesnt "listen " to what I say, talks over me, brushes off my concerns, and all andall I just dont feel like its the best care... she checked on me once after DD was born.. is that normal in the hospital...
It is NEVER too late to switch care givers!!!! That is horrible that she makes you feel that way. Don't forget or let her forget that you are paying her to perform a service. You should be in control & she should be helping you to make decisions, not making them for you!:
post #24 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Would you consider switching to a midwife?

-Angela
I originally wanted a home birth/midwife type pregnancy/delievery....well between DH/insurance its just not possible for us..AT ALL..
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2wearbaby04
I originally wanted a home birth/midwife type pregnancy/delievery....well between DH/insurance its just not possible for us..AT ALL..
I'm sorry.

No way I'd let $$ or my husband make me birth in a hospital

-Angela
post #26 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
I'm sorry.

No way I'd let $$
-Angela
Its more of the money thing, Its either DDs belly being full every night with lights on when it gets dark, or just try to do as little intervention with a OB at the hospital... Im not gonna get all tied up in what DIDNT happen or DID happen, Im just gonna try to focus on getting a GREAT start nursing with him as it didnt happen with DD as much as I tried, I was just ignorant and unprepared for the beginning challenges.
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by danigrl
and don't worry if you have to have a C-section.....it's not that bad!
post #28 of 47
your insurance won't cover a hospital birth attended by a CNM?
post #29 of 47
I agree with what the PPs said about a large baby not being a valid reason to automatically do a c-section after 38 weeks. I have a friend who is small and she just grows big babies. That's just how her body works. She had 2 natural vaginal births of 10lb+ babies without incident. And check out the book Ina May's Guide to Childbirth--there is one story I read recently in particular about a woman who had a vaginal birth of an over 11lb baby after 2 c-sections.

At least, I would try and see if your insurance would cover a midwife at the hospital, or I'd switch doctors. Nothing is worse than a doctor who won't listen to what you're saying.
post #30 of 47
You know what the difference in skull size is between an 8lb baby and a 10lb baby?
Nothing!

You can do it! Fat squishes!!!

FTR, I'm also measuring five weeks ahead - and I'm having a VBAC. I WANT a big fat baby!! My last was 6lb 14oz and really long so she was all spindly and able to get herself in all sorts of weird positions. Oh how I wished she'd been a few pounds bigger with gravity on her side! An 8+lber would have been easier to birth: no wiggle room!
post #31 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl
your insurance won't cover a hospital birth attended by a CNM?
Im not sure, Probably partialy.. havent really checked though,Im not sure Im strong enough to go thru it w.out meds...and Im not sure if my hospital has "alternative" labor methods like a birth bar(or is it called a labor bar..the thing that helps you squat) they do have tubs in the labor rooms, but Im not sure how open they would be to all the "different stuff"...
post #32 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot
You know what the difference in skull size is between an 8lb baby and a 10lb baby?
Nothing!

!
Well, Im not so intimidated by the pressure anymore of having to resort to a Csection... just ready for SOMTHING to happen, lol..
post #33 of 47
Honey, don't worry! You can do this, everyone can. You were MADE to birth, it would be very silly if our bodies created babies that cannot physically come out.

As for SD? True SD is extremely rare, but people often use the term to describe anything in the 'sticky shoulders' range (IE. Baby took a while between head and body, which can be perfectly normal, so doc freaks and calls it "stuck shoulder"). Change position, DON'T let anyone force you to labour on your back, eat, drink, move about! Squat, get on all fours, and trust yourself.
post #34 of 47
This is exactly what my ob told me with my ds...we ran screaming away from there as fast as we could. My "oh no! the baby is measuring huge and we need to c-sec" was 7.11 Thank goodness I followed my own instincts and not some c/s happy ob. Also my dd was a vaginal homebirth, 9.10lbs and not even a tear or skidmark. The #1 way to ensure a smooth birth for baby is to wait until baby is ready to come out and has had the time he/she needed to get into proper positioning on their own.
post #35 of 47
I keep hoping for some news. I guess I said something earlier but didn't want to come across to harshly.

RUN AWAY. Get a new doctor. NOW.

run as fast as you can.

(from a woman about to have her third c-section)
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2wearbaby04
Im not sure, Probably partialy.. havent really checked though,Im not sure Im strong enough to go thru it w.out meds...and Im not sure if my hospital has "alternative" labor methods like a birth bar(or is it called a labor bar..the thing that helps you squat) they do have tubs in the labor rooms, but Im not sure how open they would be to all the "different stuff"...
If the CNM is delivering in a hospital, it's very likely that your insurance covers it AND the CNM would be used to delivering in that hospital and would know what is available and what's not. Also, you'd still be in a hospital, so meds would still be available! But you ARE strong enough to do it without meds, as long as you stay away from interventions such as pitocin. A CNM would be able to help you through it, I'm sure.

And I ditto changing providers right now. Even if you just find another OB. Learn about birth. Read birth stories here, read the Birth & Beyond forum, etc. Learn what you need to know to have a good hospital birth. It can happen, but you need to be educated! You've got a few weeks hopefully, so do all that research, and ask for help if needed.

For bf'ing - have you been to an LLL meeting yet? If not, GO THIS MONTH. Get in contact with an LLL leader and get to know her so that if you have any bf'ing problems, you'll feel comfortable calling her up and getting help. That's what they're there for, and they're FREE. So you have no reason not to call them for help. Alot of women end up not bf'ing because of lack of support in the hospitals and just not knowing that LLL is there for them. So get yourself to an LLL meeting ASAP (pregnancy is the best time to start going!!!!), and learn learn learn. You can do it! Also, you could ask the LLL leader for recommendations of OBs/CNMs/etc. in your area - they might be able to recommend someone more natural childbirth friendly! That's how I found my OB.

Back to the birth thing... You said you can't afford a homebirth midwife. Have you called any and asked about doing a sliding scale? Seriously, many midwives will cut you some slack if you really can't afford them. My midwife has in her paperwork that she never wants anyone to choose not to homebirth due to finances. I know she does births at very low cost for some women who just don't have the money. It doesn't hurt to TALK to a midwife and ask about finances. And remind yourself that women have been giving birth without pain meds for thousands of years. You can do it too. It's easier if you're in the right environment, not being given dilation checks and not being forced to lay in bed, etc. Just trust yourself and your body, and remember that the pain doesn't last forever, and there is a wonderful prize at the end. Focus on that prize.
post #37 of 47
Hey: not in your ddc, but saw this.

This is the most comprehensive list of references I know of on the safety of operating to prevent dystocia. To clarify, there is a 999/1000 chance that surgery is unnecessary to keep you and your baby safe.
My story: ds2 was born at home at 38 weeks weighing 8lb 13oz and his shoulders got stuck. You'll notice, he was NOT clinically considered a large baby. The most likely cause of the dystocia was that I consciously pushed him out instead of waiting until I didn't have to think about it, so he hadn't properly rotated. In terms of development, though, he was clearly a full month behind my two 42 weekers, is a far more delicate child and suffers from asthma and eczema. Coincidence? maybe. Probably not. For me, 38 weeks is premature.
post #38 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
If the CNM is delivering in a hospital, it's very likely that your insurance covers it AND the CNM would be used to delivering in that hospital and would know what is available and what's not. Also, you'd still be in a hospital, so meds would still be available!

I actually talked to my reg OB about options for birthing vaginaly, and told her that I wasnt so comfy with the idea of a C-section just "b/c he was big". I told her I didnt feel like my pelvis was small, Im by no means" small boned" and DD was 8.5 lbs...I asked her about a squatting position with a birth bar, and she said that was definately an option as long as I wasnt under an Epidural...now my fears are its gonna KILL me( not literally) from the pain... I know you can die from pain.. but the anixety alone is starting to get to me...what will it ACTUALLY feel like when he comes on down.. I think I can handle the contranctions...but what about crowning that BIG OLE head..and his shoulders!?!?!!?!?I know after that its all slippery and squishy...but ! but! but!!!!



For bf'ing - have you been to an LLL meeting yet? If not, GO THIS MONTH. Get in contact with an LLL leader and get to know her so that if you have any bf'ing problems, you'll feel comfortable calling her up and getting help. That's what they're there for, and they're FREE. So you have no reason not to call them for help.

Im actually excited to meet( again, once with DD) the Lactation consultant in my hospital Im gonna be going to. Apprenatly shes like the #1 woman to see for feeding problems in Alabama, and Ive met with her a few weeks ago, and she remembers me from DD( Shame on me for not doing EVERYTHING she said to make it work, but thats a different thread ) and said that she is covered with my insurance under the hospital care for 5 visits, and then she would work with my $$ situation if I still needed her!!So that Im pretty comfy with!




Back to the birth thing... You said you can't afford a homebirth midwife. Have you called any and asked about doing a sliding scale? Seriously, many midwives will cut you some slack if you really can't afford them. My midwife has in her paperwork that she never wants anyone to choose not to homebirth due to finances.

The thing about this is, an ACTUAL home birth is illegal in Al with an "attendant" and Im certainly in NO way prepared to deal with the CLOSE minded ness of DHR( CPS) when it comes time to go have baby checked out and give the story of"OOPS! couldnt get there fast enough.." and possibly have my childrens lives distrupted if they were placed elsewhere, not to mention the attorney fee's that Im sure I would incurr if I needed one to battle them...But there are 2 LOVELY midwifes who have a birth house over the state line about 60 miles from my hometown, who do prenatals here locally at their herbal/wholefoods store, who I will definately use if theres a Nexttime... Igained a little knowledge after I had DD, this time around Ive gained EVEN MORE with DS... am definately prepared to"battle" Dh and his opinions and help him see why its important to ME! next time..

thanks for your thoughts though!
post #39 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
My story: ds2 was born at home at 38 weeks weighing 8lb 13oz and his shoulders got stuck. You'll notice, he was NOT clinically considered a large baby. The most likely cause of the dystocia was that I consciously pushed him out instead of waiting until I didn't have to think about it, so he hadn't properly rotated. .

Do you mean instead of pushing when you felt ready too, you were pushing at 10 cm's dilated or something?? I know they say that baby will birth on their own with contractions w.out any pushing...is this what you mean?!?
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2wearbaby04
The thing about this is, an ACTUAL home birth is illegal in Al with an "attendant" and Im certainly in NO way prepared to deal with the CLOSE minded ness of DHR( CPS) when it comes time to go have baby checked out and give the story of"OOPS! couldnt get there fast enough.." and possibly have my childrens lives distrupted if they were placed elsewhere, not to mention the attorney fee's that Im sure I would incurr if I needed one to battle them...But there are 2 LOVELY midwifes who have a birth house over the state line about 60 miles from my hometown, who do prenatals here locally at their herbal/wholefoods store, who I will definately use if theres a Nexttime... Igained a little knowledge after I had DD, this time around Ive gained EVEN MORE with DS... am definately prepared to"battle" Dh and his opinions and help him see why its important to ME! next time..
thanks for your thoughts though!
Actually the homebirth is not illegal at all. At worst it's only illegal for the midwife to attend you. The legal issues only relate to the midwife, not to the mother, parents or baby in any way.

-Angela
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: September 2006
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › September 2006 › IS anyone pretty sure they're gonna end up with a C'section?