or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › A Little Early... DIY Christmas Presents
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Little Early... DIY Christmas Presents - Page 3

post #41 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmama
Well, so far here are the things I'm planning:

For my mother - a relaxation/beauty basket. I'm covering an old basket with satin-like material and tulle that I have leftover from other things. Then I'm filling it with herbal soaps like lavender, chammomile etc., each in its on little voile bag, tied with a ribbon or maybe raffia and dried flowers; some essential oils - some in undiluted strength, and a couple bottles of bath oil I make her that she loves (no real recipe, just oil and whatever EOs I think might be nice) - those will be in fancy bottles with ribbon or raffia and flowers around the top; a bag of epsom salts with a pretty voile/tulle bag over it, or maybe a nice jar to hold them; scented sachets to put in her drawers, and whatever else I think of along the way.

Also for her and DH's mom, I'm taking a length of ribbon and gluing several small picture frames down the length of it (after I've decorated the frames with ribbon and dried flowers). Then I'm putting in pics of the kids. I've seen these in stores and they range from cheap to expensive, but they look nice. They can hang it on the wall, and it's narrow enough to hang anywhere really. I will see if I can find a pic like what I mean. I also plan to decorate plain slippers with embroidery, crochet pot holders, and maybe make aprons. The kids will each decorate ornaments for the grandparents as well.

The men will get a handmade remote-control caddy, that hangs over the arm of the couch/chair, and has pockets for remotes, t.v guide, etc. And maybe one other thing if I can think of something.

The kids are going to get a box of dress-up clothes (old clothes I'll dress up with ribbons, sequins etc.) in a simple wooden box; DD is getting cloth diapers for her dolls, that she wants in a bad way, and I'll make some for my niece and son's dolls too. I'm making dolly slings for her and my niece as well. That's all I have for now.
Those are all really wonderful ideas. I especially like the bath oils and the ribbon with the picture frames. I think I may do the ribbon picture frame thing for the grandparents. How do you attach the frames to the ribbon? Some kind of glue?
post #42 of 177
I often do baskets.


You can buy ice cream bowls, a scoop, a jar of hot fudge, jimmies (sprinkles), Strawberry syrup, a jar of marashino cherries.

My ex-MIL got us a hand-crank ice cream maker years ago and we loved it!



I usually do baskets. Picka theme. TV night, cocoa and cookies, young cook, sweet dreams, English tea and fill the basket with items that fit.

So, TV night might have popcorn, And be in a large bowl, instead of a basket that could be used for the popped corn, flavored oil, sea salt, nutritional yeast (if you haven't put nut yeast on your popcorn yet, try it. Tastes alot like Smartfood!), a cheap family movie or gift card to Blockbuster, silly straws, a healthy drink mix, funny cups or glasses.

Or coacoa and cookies could have a few jars of cookie mix (homemade), a few envelopes of flavored cocoa, silly $1 mugs, a spatula, a cookie sheet, a potholder, a pretty plate.

Shop teh dollar stores, or other bargain spots, picking up what you can.

Consider the family you are giving to when ppicking the basket.

My teens love when someoen does this for us, it covers the whole family and is cheap!

Can you sew? PJ pants are popular and easy to make. Everyone loves them. If you made a pair for every member of a family, and gave themeach a $1 mug, it would be cute.

My aunt always gets a absket of jam, my mother gets one and some other stuff.

Sushi basket? Nori, wasabi, sushi rice, bamboo rolling mat, pickled ginger, cheap cook book?

If someone is elderly or needs food, you could mix dehydrated veggies and spices to make a soup mix (or buy one, those tubes of lentils etc, sold in teh Kosher section of the store are great), Get a couple of fun soup mugs, some PB, some nice crackers,

This year each of my kids and dh and I are making one gift for the name we pulled from the bowl. I might make my first quilt ever, dd27's BF (who's in onm this) may brew beer for Dh. DD18 can knit and crochet and is thinking of making an afgan for dd's bf.


Ilove reading other peoples other ideas!
post #43 of 177
The men will get a handmade remote-control caddy, that hangs over the arm of the couch/chair, and has pockets for remotes, t.v guide, etc. And maybe one other thing if I can think of something.Do you know where there is a free pattern for the remote-control caddy, that is exactly what I was thinking for a gift for my guy gift.

TIA

Jasper
post #44 of 177
Do you know where there is a free pattern for the remote-control caddy, that is exactly what I was thinking for a gift for my guy gift.

All the other ideas are wonderful too. I love the themed basket ideas.

TIA

Jasper
post #45 of 177
sorry about the double post. I don't know what is going on? :
post #46 of 177
I'm making a doll for DD, it was supposed to be a gift for Christmas last year, the for her B-day, but it still doesn't have hair
I'm still looking for ideas for DH and DS.
I think I'll make felted soaps for most of the extended family because DD will be able to help and it's a good way to use the goat milk sitting in my freezer.
post #47 of 177
I am knitting all of the children hats. I have already started. I am not that great of a sseamsstress either but a friend is going o guidde me to make dd an apron. I was thinking of making myself a matching one too. We'll have to see how much I can get done between now and then...I do have twin infants that don't like it when I try to do anything else but be with them.

can't wait to hear everyone's great ideas!
post #48 of 177

Floor Cushion on Wheels

I'm thinking of making a floor cushion on wheels for dh. It might make playing trains with ds on the floor easier. I'll take a suitably sized piece of plywood, put a piece of foam on top, and use a staple gun to wrap unholstery fabric around it. Then, I'll add wheels .
post #49 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom
I'm thinking of making a floor cushion on wheels for dh. It might make playing trains with ds on the floor easier. I'll take a suitably sized piece of plywood, put a piece of foam on top, and use a staple gun to wrap unholstery fabric around it. Then, I'll add wheels .
Great idea -- but I'd need two! At my house, my son would say, "Daddy, you can share that with me."
post #50 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasprings
Great idea -- but I'd need two! At my house, my son would say, "Daddy, you can share that with me."
I wouldn't dream of not making one for ds as well, for the same reason .
post #51 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I often do baskets.


You can buy ice cream bowls, a scoop, a jar of hot fudge, jimmies (sprinkles), Strawberry syrup, a jar of marashino cherries.

My ex-MIL got us a hand-crank ice cream maker years ago and we loved it!



I usually do baskets. Picka theme. TV night, cocoa and cookies, young cook, sweet dreams, English tea and fill the basket with items that fit.

So, TV night might have popcorn, And be in a large bowl, instead of a basket that could be used for the popped corn, flavored oil, sea salt, nutritional yeast (if you haven't put nut yeast on your popcorn yet, try it. Tastes alot like Smartfood!), a cheap family movie or gift card to Blockbuster, silly straws, a healthy drink mix, funny cups or glasses.

Or coacoa and cookies could have a few jars of cookie mix (homemade), a few envelopes of flavored cocoa, silly $1 mugs, a spatula, a cookie sheet, a potholder, a pretty plate.

Shop teh dollar stores, or other bargain spots, picking up what you can.

Consider the family you are giving to when ppicking the basket.

My teens love when someoen does this for us, it covers the whole family and is cheap!

Can you sew? PJ pants are popular and easy to make. Everyone loves them. If you made a pair for every member of a family, and gave themeach a $1 mug, it would be cute.

My aunt always gets a absket of jam, my mother gets one and some other stuff.

Sushi basket? Nori, wasabi, sushi rice, bamboo rolling mat, pickled ginger, cheap cook book?

If someone is elderly or needs food, you could mix dehydrated veggies and spices to make a soup mix (or buy one, those tubes of lentils etc, sold in teh Kosher section of the store are great), Get a couple of fun soup mugs, some PB, some nice crackers,

This year each of my kids and dh and I are making one gift for the name we pulled from the bowl. I might make my first quilt ever, dd27's BF (who's in onm this) may brew beer for Dh. DD18 can knit and crochet and is thinking of making an afgan for dd's bf.


Ilove reading other peoples other ideas!
I these ideas! They are perfect for me who can't sew, knit or seem to find time to do anything creative.
post #52 of 177
I'm busy :!!

I wanted to add that for those of you planning to send cookies, a good way to send them is in tins, as they are less likely to get broken (though I ADORE the chonese take-out container idea!!). You can often get these cheap-o from dollar stores (often after x-mas, but hey...next year, right?) OR you can buy those Dansk butter cookies (which aren't bad, BTW) and either eat them or do whatever with them and the tin of cookies only costs about $2. Plus, people will be surprised to find homemade goodies inside when they see the tin! Or, of course, you could wrap the tin.

I also wanted to add that making gifts is awesome and great, but there was one pp who said dh's fam didn't appreciate the homemade jam she made. Well, if you have people like that on your list, PLEASE don't go to the trouble of making them a gift! Either do as the pp was planning, and do the charitable donation (which is fun b/c you get to help a charity you like, and I DARE them to complain!! ) OR buy some trinket gift that actually are pretty cheap around x-mas time that they will prob appreciate more since it was purchased

Anyway, mamas, keep the ideas coming! I will dig out a great brownie in a jar recipe I have. It's called sandcastle brownies because the way you layer it looks like sand. And everyone loves these brownies! I got raves last year!!

I also have a body scrub recipe that I will dig out. It's a coffee body scrub and has turbinado sugar in it, and sugar scrubs are super trendy right now!
post #53 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny

Last year we did homemade organic soaps, massage oils and herbal teas for everyone and that was a huge hit.
Oooh, sounds perfect for my family (i have 3 sisters, a SIL, a mom and a best friend to make for). Could you post your methods and/or recipes, or is there a good book to find?
thanks!
post #54 of 177

subbing

I can't wait for the coffee body scub recipe that sounds awesome!!

I want to make homeade candies this year.

Last year we made hot cocoa stirrers by melting choc chips and dip plasic spoons in and roll in sprinkles and let them harden.Then take several and tie with a pretty ribbon.
post #55 of 177
These are all great ideas!! I was just thinking today that I need to get making prestents, I always wait and end up not sleeping for half of December. We make many gifts in our family, My sister used to make Table runners for everybody, they don't require much talent for sewing, also she makes throw pillows - for everybody, kids included. And my kids love them, even just the ones made of blue flannel - they love them because auntie made them. I thought that I might make some easy jouvinile paintings for my neice's and nephew's rooms. One year my brother bought a cheap set of large bowls at wal-mart for like 2.50 and filled each with a homemade munchie - choc covered pretzels, cookies, fudge.. and stacked the bowls on eachother, tied with a ribbon and that was our gift. We all loved the food and I still use the bowls. Another thoughtful thing, but time consuming is to decorate scrapbook pages for someone you know doesn't have time, baby book, first year of school, or even a holiday theamed one. Kids can paint plant pots for family, I usually have mine make a different ornament each year.
One year for my kids friends, and cousins, we went to the craft store and got a variety of buttons, pom-poms, foam stickers, eyeballs, beads,feathers, and sequins and put a little of each one into a gladware bowl. We then had them decorate a giftbag (we've also painted lunch bags) and we gave the gladware bowl along with some fun glue (elmers school makes different colors) and a couple of sheets of fun paper ( like from the scrapbooking isle). The kids love it and we've had requests for more.
We have also had the kids make "make your own play-doh kits" We get a recipe ( the koolaid one is great - it smells good) online and put the dry ingredients in a baggie or if you have some, an empty frosting container, or margarine bowl works great. We then throw in a couple of cookie cutters. The kids love to see the play doh first turn color and then firm up. I hope these ideas help out, keep them comming, I need new ones for this year!

BF, HS Mama of 3, DS 7, DS 4, DD 1.
post #56 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny
Last year we did homemade organic soaps, massage oils and herbal teas for everyone and that was a huge hit.
Yes, please post details!!!
post #57 of 177
I thought of one to make for the kids.

Get an old flannel shirt(toddler size 3 or 4 works great). ONe that belonged to the kid in quesiton is perfect. (You can also go with a newer t-shirt, etc) Sew the front, cuffs, and neck closed. Stuff it and sew the bottom closed. You can sew the front so that the buttons still work.

I made these for my teen sisters and they were big hits. I made them years later for alll my kids nad nephews and they loved them too. Used shirts are soft and cuddly.
post #58 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Wilmo
I have made my kids "sensory boxes." I bought three tupperware like shoeboxes with lids. Put different colored rice in one, pinto beans and pasta spirils in another, and sand in the third. Add to each box marbles or small balls, cotton balls, fake bugs, etc. Anything that has a different texture. I put a small cup and some kid friendly tweezers in each box. My kids will sit still for at least twenty minutes and and play, try to pick things up with tweezers, count, hide toys, etc. It's great for fine motor skills and sensory discrimination. It's a neat idea that doesn't cost alot and preschoolers love it.
I love this idea for my ds!! Those and some felt hand puppets ought to do the trick!

For the aunties/grandmas I am going to buy those bottle toppers like they use for syrups in coffee drinks and put them on top of some pretty wine bottles filled with dish soap and crochet them some cotton dish rags. The uncles will be getting unscented felted soaps in quick dry mesh bags so that they don't scare away the fish with weird scented hands.
post #59 of 177

photos on canvas

Here's one that would be fantastic if you can act fast to use the coupon before it expires.

On a frugal blog (Want Not), I found this link.

http://www.canvasondemand.com/promo/Moms/

The link below provides you with a $59 (yes, fifty-nine dollar!) coupon that can be used on any of the photo canvases at Canvas On Demand. They take digital photos and print them on canvas as wall art. (Their 8x10 basic canvas is $59, by the way-- so you could just pay shipping and get a great gift almost for free.)

The website is not cheap, but the coupon makes it doable for me.

wedding photos... old family photos... new baby photos... whole-family shots... vacation scenery...

for your husband's office... your own home... your son/daughter's room... your parents...

the possibilities are endless.

I haven't decided who'll get the photo I'm going to have done of our new daughter, but I can't wait to see how it turns out.
post #60 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaHippo
Oooh, sounds perfect for my family (i have 3 sisters, a SIL, a mom and a best friend to make for). Could you post your methods and/or recipes, or is there a good book to find?
thanks!
There are recipes in the Natural Home and Body Care forum. A Sticky at the top has soap-making instructions. For a book I use "The Soapmaker's Companion" by Susan Miller Cavitch.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › A Little Early... DIY Christmas Presents