or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Lactivism › What do you think of this trend?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you think of this trend? - Page 8

post #141 of 281
If the idea of discretion is no one can see what you're doing, how the hell can that "promote" breastfeeding?
post #142 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMary
I press for discretion in the name of BFing promotion in general.

There's room for everyone on this planet, you know. Lactivists don't own the rights to the "only way" to breastfeed. My opinion is just as valid as yours, just to a different group of people.
What if your definition of discreet is different than my definition? What if Pat Robertsons' definition is different than yours? Whose do we go with - who gets left out? No one is saying that no one should be discreet - if you want to be discreet go right ahead - but pushing it on someone else is like saying that those who are not discreet are 'wrong'. We're not wrong - if you didn't like looking at peoples mouths while they were eating (say for instance) that would be your own problem- not ours for not covering up our mouths.

I don't know what any of this has to do with the size of the planet.
post #143 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog
If the idea of discretion is no one can see what you're doing, how the hell can that "promote" breastfeeding?
Actually, I don't cover up, so people can see what I am doing. They just can't see my breast. I have had many, many women applaud me and give me a big . I'd say that's a positive impact.
post #144 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by embalene
What if your definition of discreet is different than my definition? What if Pat Robertsons' definition is different than yours? Whose do we go with - who gets left out? No one is saying that no one should be discreet - if you want to be discreet go right ahead - but pushing it on someone else is like saying that those who are not discreet are 'wrong'. We're not wrong - if you didn't like looking at peoples mouths while they were eating (say for instance) that would be your own problem- not ours for not covering up our mouths.

I don't know what any of this has to do with the size of the planet.
You make a good point, and no one is saying that the topless nursers (yeah, they are around) are wrong. But they are not going to encourage an on-the-fence woman to breastfeed. And that's fine if that's not important to them.

But it is to me.
post #145 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
That's right. There are lots of way to breastfeed. I have no problem with you being discreet- go ahead, cover up. BUT DON'T ASK ME TO.

-Angela
I wouldn't dream of it.
post #146 of 281
How does anyone really know how someone is going to feel if they see a woman with her shirt pulled up nursing and both breasts out? How do you know if that woman is going to say, "Ewww" and walk away? Why is it that debates seem to focus on the 2% of people that do a certain thing. I'm sure it's a rare occurrence, so why even bring it up like that's what the majority of lactivists do? And why should anyone care if they do it?

I NIP to feed my child, not to recruit other breastfeeders. And if that's what someone else wants to do, so be it.
post #147 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae
How does anyone really know how someone is going to feel if they see a woman with her shirt pulled up nursing and both breasts out? How do you know if that woman is going to say, "Ewww" and walk away? Why is it that debates seem to focus on the 2% of people that do a certain thing. I'm sure it's a rare occurrence, so why even bring it up like that's what the majority of lactivists do? And why should anyone care if they do it?
I NIP to feed my child, not to recruit other breastfeeders. And if that's what someone else wants to do, so be it.
They shouldn't. But they do.
post #148 of 281
Quote:
How does anyone really know how someone is going to feel if they see a woman with her shirt pulled up nursing and both breasts out? How do you know if that woman is going to say, "Ewww" and walk away? Why is it that debates seem to focus on the 2% of people that do a certain thing. I'm sure it's a rare occurrence, so why even bring it up like that's what the majority of lactivists do? And why should anyone care if they do it?

I NIP to feed my child, not to recruit other breastfeeders. And if that's what someone else wants to do, so be it.
:

i really dont care if the fact that my breast is "hanging out there" makes someone not bf......i am feeding my child, and thats it, his nutrition and needs come first.
post #149 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMary
But they are not going to encourage an on-the-fence woman to breastfeed.

do we truly know this?
do you think that a woman who is on the fence about nursing is going to be put off by a topless nurser? wouldnt it be fair to say that a woman "on the fence" may be put off of nursing because everytime she sees a nursing woman she is all covered up or struggling to keep baby covered and looking disheveled? I know that I would feel more comfortable nursing somewhere if I have previously seen someone else do it openly and uncovered. I would be put off the the shame associated with covering up everytime i was out and about.
post #150 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by inchijen
do we truly know this?
do you think that a woman who is on the fence about nursing is going to be put off by a topless nurser? wouldnt it be fair to say that a woman "on the fence" may be put off of nursing because everytime she sees a nursing woman she is all covered up or struggling to keep baby covered and looking disheveled? I know that I would feel more comfortable nursing somewhere if I have previously seen someone else do it openly and uncovered. I would be put off the the shame associated with covering up everytime i was out and about.
I never said anything about covering up with a hooter hider (or whatever it's called). I said, in fact, that I don't use a cover. And, yes, I think an otf woman could easily be put off by a topless woman. Post a poll on WebMD, and you'll see what I mean.
post #151 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans_mum
:

i really dont care if the fact that my breast is "hanging out there" makes someone not bf......i am feeding my child, and thats it, his nutrition and needs come first.
Then don't chastise them when they choose to FF.
post #152 of 281
People make their own choices. If they CHOOSE to FF because they saw a woman nursing and her boob was exposed... then that would be THE LAMEST excuse. Just because that woman is nursing like that doesn't mean it's required for nursing moms to bare all. That's just silly.
post #153 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMary
Then don't chastise them when they choose to FF.
Excuse me? Hello, on MDC here....

-Angela
post #154 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae
People make their own choices. If they CHOOSE to FF because they saw a woman nursing and her boob was exposed... then that would be THE LAMEST excuse. Just because that woman is nursing like that doesn't mean it's required for nursing moms to bare all. That's just silly.
THANK YOU!!! finally an intelligent statement!!!
post #155 of 281
Kind of OT but I've seen webMD mentioned alot in this thread and was wondering if there's any affilation between webMD and MDC?
I know WebMd is a very mainsteam place.
post #156 of 281
Sharon71, my baby's name is Anna Grace, too!

Anyway, I'd never put a poll anywhere asking the general public if it would offend them if I was feeding my child and they got a glimpse of breast. I just don't care and it's offensive for anyone to try to get the "masses" thinking that there could ever be anything wrong with breastfeeding in public.
post #157 of 281
No, no affiliation between WebMD and MDC.

-Angela
post #158 of 281
Well, this is how WebMD starts it's article on Breastfeeding in Public.

Quote:
Breastfeeding in Public: A Mother's Rights

Breastfeeding in public is legal, but common sense and a little discretion go a long way.
post #159 of 281
Yeah, well, gawking and ogling people in public are legal but a little common sense and discretion go a long way there, too.
post #160 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
Sharon71, my baby's name is Anna Grace, too!

Anyway, I'd never put a poll anywhere asking the general public if it would offend them if I was feeding my child and they got a glimpse of breast. I just don't care and it's offensive for anyone to try to get the "masses" thinking that there could ever be anything wrong with breastfeeding in public.
Awesome name.
I agree.I NIP because I want it seen as normal and although I don't let it all "hang out" I don't cover up either.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Lactivism
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Lactivism › What do you think of this trend?