for me it depended on the circumstances. it is rare that it is passed on without additional risk factors. So in the absences of those risk factors (prolonged ruptured memberans, pre-term bith, fever, large amount of bacteria present . . etc . . ) I was leaning towards not doing it. it did mean consenting to an extra 24 hours in the hospital (i was planning on a 6 hour departure which makes 24 hours more seem less dramatic) and blood draw on the baby.
in the end my labor went so fast that I missed it entirely. I went into labor, called to get the results of the culture (which unfortunately were positive) and went in early to my prenatal to discuss options. good thing too. I delivered a few minutes after showing up in my midwifes office.
problem solved. we had decided to go with antibiotics to appease the pediatrition and get out. a big winter storm was moving in and we just wanted to be home. also during my pregnancy I met somone whos ebaby was born early and got group be strep. 3 weeks in the NICU on antibiotics and she her chances of death were 1 in 6. I just couldn't risk that. regardless of how rare it was.
So Ava was obviously born without getting those antibiotics into me and had the blood work. if you opt to go this route ask for the NICU to come and get the blood (its is a vein draw). and do not allow an arterial draw. in the absence of any signs of sickness it is not that important. Avas first blood draw came back very bad (I couldn't understand it, she had no open wounds and my water broke 3 minutes before she came out.) turns out it was just a weird fluke.) they never got any more blood after that. she just wouldn't bleed from a poke and she got my really deep veins. we ended up staying 2 1/2 days for observation.
sometimes even the best laid plans get disrupted by real labor. I really had every intention of getting them but Ava had diffrent ideas
but in the absense of risk factors and symptoms I think all of this is largely unessecary.
since you had such a high conolization i would consult with someone on what to do about that and then be retested. I would be concerned with a high colonization not just for the baby but for you. you want your flora etc to be in balance just because it ought to be and an imbalance in one place genrally means an imbalance elsewhere. So definitely get checked again so you at least know if you have fought it off some. I htink if it were stil showing up in your urine they would tell you. but definitely get tested again. it might not change the fact that you are group b positive but it could mean teh different between weather or not you are willing to risk going without the antibiotics.
Ih ad antibiotics with my first because I didn't make it to the test. they were trying to keep me in labor for 5 days because then we would have been clear. but my water had already broken so they gave me antibiotics every couple hours to stave off any infection. unfortunately I didn't make it very long (8 hours total and they stopped the antibiotics once they realized that all the fluids in the world weren't going to slow things down. So I was on massive amounts of saline (they were squeezing the bags in for a while). t he piggy backed the antibiotics and i couldn't have told you the difference of when they were there or not. I also missed the pit. they snuck in (my poor midwife was fighting a loosing battle. but I admire her willingness to fight it to the bloody death) So if you do have an IV have someone keep an egal eye on what is going in.
its such a hard choice. thre are pros and cons both ways. some things are worth the battle and some things aren't. for me IV antibiotics were somewhere between throwing the Dr. a bone so i could have all the other stuf I wanted and that little voice in my head that said "rare but deadly. can you live with that over a comfort issue?" Everyone has thier issues that they need to sort out. if you do take them or don't being confident in your descision that you are doing the best you can for you and your baby will make it all a lot easier to move forward in peace.