or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Selective & Delayed Vaccination › Thinking about it...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking about it...

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
We don't now, but we're thinking about doing some of them. Slowly. Like, one shot at a time.. And absolutley no more than that!

Which vacc's did you choose and why?
post #2 of 66
I have not vaxxed my children as of yet, but I am also thinking about it. I feel woefully uninformed and confused by the information, and trying to figure out what the bias is in everything. :
post #3 of 66
Thread Starter 
Me too!! :
post #4 of 66
Hi mamas! I thought I'd get involved here even though my babe is about a month from making her appearance. I've been doing a lot of research about vaccinations and one of the most compelling articles I've read about delayed and selective vaccinations can be found here.

The author is Dr. Donald Miller, cardiac surgeon and Professor of Surgery at the University of Washington in Seattle.

In summary, this is what he recommends:
1. No vaccinations until a child is two years old.
2. No vaccines that contain thimerosal (mercury).
3. No live virus vaccines (except for smallpox, should it recur).

These vaccines, to be given one at a time, every six months, beginning at age 2:
1. Pertussis (acellular, not whole cell)
2. Diphtheria
3. Tetanus
4. Polio (the Salk vaccine, cultured in human cells)

The only thing I am adding to this personally is that I won't use a vaccine that uses aborted fetal cells, so the polio vax might be out for me anyway. I have a really great ped who is going to help me with all these decisions, too. He's got 12 unvaxed kids, so he's on my side!

If you haven't seen this page, it's worth knowing what's in the vaccines so you can make a more informed decision on whether or not you want to inject it into your kiddo.

Hope that helps!
post #5 of 66
Becken,
just wanted to say that was a really good post! thanks
rach
post #6 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becken
These vaccines, to be given one at a time, every six months, beginning at age 2:
1. Pertussis (acellular, not whole cell)
2. Diphtheria
3. Tetanus
4. Polio (the Salk vaccine, cultured in human cells)
I thought he'd amended his list? Pertussis, Diphtheria and Tetanus can not be gotten individually in the US and I think he took polio off the list? Perhaps someone knows where to check.

-Angela
post #7 of 66
My friend just got her 3 year old vaxed for the first time and it was the Dtap, all three together. Her naturopath told her they cannot be done separately.

Also, as far as I know, thimerosal is only in the flu vaxes nowadays.
post #8 of 66
Thimerosal is also found in DTaP/Hib, Pediarix (DTaP/HepB/IPV), HepB, some brands of DTaP, and Meningococcal. In "trace" amounts, of course.
post #9 of 66
Here is information on the amounts of thimerosal in vaccines, by manufacturer.


http://www.fda.gov/CBER/vaccine/thimerosal.htm#t1
post #10 of 66
And that's pretty much what I said; several vaxes still contain thimerasol.http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/...nt-table-2.pdf
post #11 of 66
My dd is twelve and has never been vaccinated, but we are considering it now, for various reasons. My ds is two. I have concerns about mercury/toxicity, etc, but am not convinced there is really a causal relationship with autism.

Depending on the actual toxin and quantity, "trace" amounts might be quite acceptable to those of us choosing to vaccinate. I don't eat all organic food, either, because in some foods it doesn't matter.

I would definitely vaccinate for polio now that the killed-versus-live issue has been settled.

We plan to travel to the East and we have much contact with international travelers, so MMR is probably in the cards for us too, though I plan to delay as long as possible with ds, since he's only 2. I never thought I would, but I am even considering chicken pox for ds, since it is getting harder to contract that naturally. A friend has attended several pox parties and no luck for her kids.

For some of these diseases I guess my thinking is to wait a few years, and if the child hasn't gotten the disease naturally, vaccinate for it.

My pediatrician is very happy to set up a schedule according to my preferences, but we're moving this month so I might as well wait and begin with the new pediatrician.

An advantage to waiting a while is that there are some vaccines even the doctors don't want to bother with once the child is past a certain age, whether they're recommended or not.

However, some vaccines for older children and adults contain thimerosol, so if that's an issue one might even want to vaccinate early rather than later.
post #12 of 66
Trace amounts may very well be acceptable for parents who choose to vax. But, too many parents don't realize the trace amounts are still there because they're told that vaxes are now completely mercury-free.

Also, while I believe that mercury may play a role in autism, I think that it's more likely due to the combo of toxins beyond mercury. Thimerosal is only one concern.
post #13 of 66
My daughter was fully vaxed through her 6 month well baby visit. At the 9 month, no vaxes were required, and by her 12 month, I'd decided to delay.

My DH is not comfortable not vaxing at all, but is willing to compromise and vax on a delayed schedule. So that's what we're doing.

The shots that were due at the 12 month visit were HiB, Hep A, Prevnar, and MMR. I've decided that she will not receive Prevnar at all, as she's already had that one 3 times, which is the manufacturer's recommendation. She won't receive the MMR until we enroll her in school. I'm still researching HiB atm, but will most likely have her get the Hep A vax in the next 2 weeks (13 months). The way things look right now, she will get the HiB when she's about 14 or 15 months old.
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becken
Hi mamas! I thought I'd get involved here even though my babe is about a month from making her appearance. I've been doing a lot of research about vaccinations and one of the most compelling articles I've read about delayed and selective vaccinations can be found here.

The author is Dr. Donald Miller, cardiac surgeon and Professor of Surgery at the University of Washington in Seattle.

In summary, this is what he recommends:
1. No vaccinations until a child is two years old.
2. No vaccines that contain thimerosal (mercury).
3. No live virus vaccines (except for smallpox, should it recur).

These vaccines, to be given one at a time, every six months, beginning at age 2:
1. Pertussis (acellular, not whole cell)
2. Diphtheria
3. Tetanus
4. Polio (the Salk vaccine, cultured in human cells)

The only thing I am adding to this personally is that I won't use a vaccine that uses aborted fetal cells, so the polio vax might be out for me anyway. I have a really great ped who is going to help me with all these decisions, too. He's got 12 unvaxed kids, so he's on my side!

If you haven't seen this page, it's worth knowing what's in the vaccines so you can make a more informed decision on whether or not you want to inject it into your kiddo.

Hope that helps!
Becken, thanks for the info! THat is great that you've done so much research and your babe isn't even here yet!

That book is on my list but I haven't gotten to read it yet- I'm just curious why he recommends polio? From what I've read so far (admittedly not much compared to most of you!) polio isn't a huge one to be worried about.

Also, which vax are cultured on human cells? That is a big issue for me as well.

My ped also said that DTaP could not be obtained separately.
post #15 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie
The way things look right now, she will get the HiB when she's about 14 or 15 months old.
Does someone know the top age that Hib is approved for? I thought I remembered that it was one that if not given by X age it's not given at all.

-Angela
post #16 of 66
I've been so afraid to start immunizations with my little boy. It's crazy because with my girls, (born in 94 and 96) I just followed along what the doctors said and they were fully immunized. I had no worries and just didn't know a thing.

My little man was my preemie, born at 33wks due to severe preeclampsia. He spent a month in NICU to learn to eat, hold his temperature and gain weight because he was IUGR thanks to the wonderful Pre-e.

If I could, I would wait til well past a year old to start any immunization if at all, but of course I do have a husband who wants him to get atleast some of the shots. (his brother is almost completely deaf due to meningitis so that is a big worry for him) So a compromise..
I decided to Only do the HIB, DTaP and IPV and do them one at a time and a month apart. I told the doc and she said he wasn't high risk for Polio, so I could take that away. ( Yay, one less immunization!)
So that leaves just the HIB and DTap for him to get. Those again, will be one at a time and a month apart.

It was all at my son's recent doc visit that it all got discussed... My doc said if anything, to please atleast start one shot and if anything, start the DTaP.
The DTaP shot scares me Alot though, so I'm having a hard time with that one. So finally I took my little guy in to get his first shot. The HIB at 7mos old..
post #17 of 66
I would not vax a premie until at least 2. The vaxes are NOT tested on premature babies, they're tested on full-term babies.

I do understand the pressure from the DH though.
post #18 of 66
Yeah, I wanted to wait as long as possible due to him being preemie.. But my doc said he isn't to be categorized anymore as preemie, because he's done so well in catching up.
post #19 of 66
Sorry to join the party late - Mondays are my busiest days...

I know it will take us a while to get our bearings here, I'd like to ask all of you to please PM me if you have any concerns about posts in this forum, rather than posting about them on-thread. I'd also like to ask that if your comment isn't directly in response to the subject or a question asked on a thread and it doesn't specifically relate to selective or delayed vax, that you refrain from posting it here. I've removed some posts from this thread that don't meet those criteria.

Thanks!

Dar
post #20 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Does someone know the top age that Hib is approved for? I thought I remembered that it was one that if not given by X age it's not given at all.

-Angela
If the child is 15 months or older, only ONE (1) dose of Hib is recommended.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Selective & Delayed Vaccination
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Selective & Delayed Vaccination › Thinking about it...