or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Selective & Delayed Vaccination › Thinking about it...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking about it... - Page 2

post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy
Thimerosal is also found in DTaP/Hib, Pediarix (DTaP/HepB/IPV), HepB, some brands of DTaP, and Meningococcal. In "trace" amounts, of course.
Unless you specifically request single dose formulationis, full strength thimerosal (25 micrograms) is found in:

TT (tetanus only; age 7+)
Td (age 7+)
DT (up to age 7)
Menomune brand (meningitis).

Menactra does not contain thimerosal.
post #22 of 66
Thanks LongIsland! Is there an age after whichthe Hib is not given? Is it required for k-12 school in most states?

-Angela
post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Thanks LongIsland! Is there an age after whichthe Hib is not given? Is it required for k-12 school in most states?

-Angela
One of the three Hib brands is indicated up to four years of age, but the other two aren't. It's not required for kindergarten in any state and won't be because of the indication age, but it's required in most states for daycare and preschool.

Again, only one dose is required if the child enters daycare/preschool on/after 15 months.
post #24 of 66
That's good to know. So if someone wanted to do all the vaxes required for school and they weren't doing preschool or daycare, they could skip that all together.

-Angela
post #25 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy25
Also, which vax are cultured on human cells? That is a big issue for me as well.
http://www.cogforlife.org/fetalvaccines.htm
post #26 of 66
My dd is just over three and a half and we live in Northern Ontario. Z is starting preschool at the Montessori this September and I had to send in a copy of her vax record to the school. All officially stamped and everything... seemed a bit much to me.

Up to this point in time Z has been fully vaxed, but now I'm thinking of delaying the rest of her vaxes (which ones I decide to go with) and spreading them out significantly. She's not due for any boosters until she's six, so it gives me some time to do research and think about it.

Our paed (while vax, um, friendly? ) is not pushy in the slightest and doesn't think much of the 'extra' vaxes (chicken pox, the meningococcal, etc.) so we didn't even really discuss them - I just said I wasn't interested. He has three small children, and I know he selectively/delays vaxing them.

I'm a nursing student and each year I have to have a tb test prior to school starting, and am supposed to get the flu shot in November. I tried to get out of it last year, but wasn't sure about how to get around it. This year I'm going to go to the health unit and talk to them - I want more info before just submitting to the shot.

I'm interested as well in talking about whether or not the tb test is necessary every year, and what the hell is in it exactly. is that even considered a vax?

The whole vax issue seems huge and intricate to me. I look forward to talking about it with everyone else.

ETA - Z was on prednisone (pediapred) for a year in order to control the growth of a hemangioma on her face. I'm not sure if that's relevant at all to the discussion at hand, but to me it was significant that she was on a steroid for so long at such a young age.
post #27 of 66
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynn
Eh, I'd get a second opinion on that. We had some preemies in our family, but the peds were quite conservative in declaring them 'caught up'.

Just like you wouldn't induce a baby that reads "eight pounds" on an ultrasound at 35 weeks, you can't use a couple of 'naked eye' critera, IMO on something as undoable as vaxes and induction.
So far we've seen 3 different doctors until I found one I liked better and all of them said the same thing.. So, I don't know who else I'd see. Being military probably doesn't help matters much does it.

He's 29wks now (7mos + 1wk) but adjusted, would be 22wks old (5 and a half mos of course), so atleast I was able to wait a bit before starting any immunization. Although waiting longer would have been better, thats for sure.
post #29 of 66
Ds had his first vaccine, the mercury free DTaP at 8 years old.

The first dose did fine, just a little cranky the next day.

I waited almost a year for his second dose. We did the same exact shot.

The second time did not go well. He spiked a high fever. His leg was hot and red and he could not walk for 2 days. He was in extreme pain and totally miserable. I had never seen him get a fever like that outside of babyhood. He was probably 103.

So, we did not do the recommended third dose. I considered that a serious reaction. He had two doses, and hopefully formed immunity to Pertussis and Tetanus, which were my main concerns.

Our reasons for doing this were based on two concerns.

There are Pertussis outbreaks here and ds has a heart condition. He does not need a lung condition as straining as Pertussis.

With the tetanus, we planned to spend a lot of time on farms. Until he got the shot I could not relax.

No regrets here at all. I felt 100% better having done the shots.

Remember he was totally unvaxed for 8 years~longer than most people had unvaxed kids who disagreed with me for doing the shot! After 8 years I knew my fears were not going away. I talked to ds about this at length and he fully agreed that he wanted the shot. He was sick of wearing shoes all the time outside and the first thing he did was run around barefoot *LOL*
post #30 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama
Ds had his first vaccine, the mercury free DTaP at 8 years old.
DTaP is not indicated for a child older than seven years of age, nor is it required for school entry when the child is 7+ for this very reason.

ETA one of the DTaP product inserts showing that the vaccine should only be administered to a child up to age seven: http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/US_PDF/..._4620_4.04.pdf
post #31 of 66
I am very glad to see this thread and this forum. We did vaxes through the 4month appt. and then stopped. I am planning on starting again when he turns two but doing them selectively. I have a lot to learn! There is already some great info on this thread and I wanted to sub.
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becken
Hi mamas! I thought I'd get involved here even though my babe is about a month from making her appearance. I've been doing a lot of research about vaccinations and one of the most compelling articles I've read about delayed and selective vaccinations can be found here.

The author is Dr. Donald Miller, cardiac surgeon and Professor of Surgery at the University of Washington in Seattle.

In summary, this is what he recommends:
1. No vaccinations until a child is two years old.
2. No vaccines that contain thimerosal (mercury).
3. No live virus vaccines (except for smallpox, should it recur).

These vaccines, to be given one at a time, every six months, beginning at age 2:
1. Pertussis (acellular, not whole cell)
2. Diphtheria
3. Tetanus
4. Polio (the Salk vaccine, cultured in human cells)

The only thing I am adding to this personally is that I won't use a vaccine that uses aborted fetal cells, so the polio vax might be out for me anyway. I have a really great ped who is going to help me with all these decisions, too. He's got 12 unvaxed kids, so he's on my side!

If you haven't seen this page, it's worth knowing what's in the vaccines so you can make a more informed decision on whether or not you want to inject it into your kiddo.

Hope that helps!
This is the very best vaccination info I've yet seen.

~Nay
post #33 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
Unless you specifically request single dose formulationis, full strength thimerosal (25 micrograms) is found in:

TT (tetanus only; age 7+)
Td (age 7+)
DT (up to age 7)
Menomune brand (meningitis).

Menactra does not contain thimerosal.
By single dose formulations do you mean vaccines that are used once and then thrown away? The information I've read about thirmo...says that it is a preservative used in vaccines to keep them suitable for multiple uses. So I guess a single-use vial (not sure how else to put that) wouldn't have any use for preservatives?

~Nay
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin
By single dose formulations do you mean vaccines that are used once and then thrown away? The information I've read about thirmo...says that it is a preservative used in vaccines to keep them suitable for multiple uses. So I guess a single-use vial (not sure how else to put that) wouldn't have any use for preservatives?

~Nay

Exactly.

Keep in mind that single dose vials are not typically used by doctors and hospitals because it is more expensive and it takes up valuable space. This is why anyone considering the vaccines I mentioned should specifically request the thimerosal free, single dose versions . . . and then look at the bottle (not the insert) to make sure it is really TF. If the bottle says ".01% Thimerosal," that means it's full strength, containing 25 micrograms of thimerosal.
post #35 of 66
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlne
So far we've seen 3 different doctors until I found one I liked better and all of them said the same thing.. So, I don't know who else I'd see. Being military probably doesn't help matters much does it.

He's 29wks now (7mos + 1wk) but adjusted, would be 22wks old (5 and a half mos of course), so atleast I was able to wait a bit before starting any immunization. Although waiting longer would have been better, thats for sure.
i'm a pediatric physical therapist, and we always use the adjusted age taking prematurity into account for evaluation purposes until a child is two years old.

i'm so glad to hear that your son is doing so well , but i'd definitely suggest erring on the side of caution.
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynn
Wow. Sounds as if you're a bit hemmed in by their system, then. Does being military mean you can't use Hawa'ii waiver laws to hold off a bit longer and spacing out his shot card a little more?
Oh, I think I could.. But I am doing just a couple different vax's as it is and spacing them out.
It's hard when you have to compromise as there are two of us parenting our little man.
post #38 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration
i'm a pediatric physical therapist, and we always use the adjusted age taking prematurity into account for evaluation purposes until a child is two years old.

i'm so glad to hear that your son is doing so well , but i'd definitely suggest erring on the side of caution.
Wow, they make me feel like I should almost forget he was even preemie..
He never had any problems aside from needing to grow and learn to eat. No breathing problems, no oxygen ever needed.
I've been told straight in the face to not think of him as being preemie anymore because he's "basically caught up." I'm not doing that though..

I did wait on immunizations, he's 7mos now and just got his first shot. If you went by adjusted age, that would be like him getting his first shot at 5 and a half mos.
If I could, I'd even wait longer before starting the shots, but I got alot pressure from the doc. She of course reached my DH a little, which didn't help with him being scared about meningitis because his brother got it. His brother is now almost completely deaf. So, we had to compromise..
I don't like this, it's hard of course..
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlne
Oh, I think I could.. But I am doing just a couple different vax's as it is and spacing them out.
It's hard when you have to compromise as there are two of us parenting our little man.
[]

Glad you guys have found a space and plan in which you two can work together.
post #40 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlne
She of course reached my DH a little, which didn't help with him being scared about meningitis because his brother got it. His brother is now almost completely deaf. So, we had to compromise..
I don't like this, it's hard of course..
Just an aside, many of the antibiotics used to treat meningitis actually cause deafness, so it's quite possible that your bil is deaf from the treatment not the diseass.

-Angela
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Selective & Delayed Vaccination
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Selective & Delayed Vaccination › Thinking about it...