My dd is just over three and a half and we live in Northern Ontario. Z is starting preschool at the Montessori this September and I had to send in a copy of her vax record to the school. All officially stamped and everything... seemed a bit much to me.
Up to this point in time Z has been fully vaxed, but now I'm thinking of delaying the rest of her vaxes (which ones I decide to go with) and spreading them out significantly. She's not due for any boosters until she's six, so it gives me some time to do research and think about it.
Our paed (while vax, um, friendly?
) is not pushy in the slightest and doesn't think much of the 'extra' vaxes (chicken pox, the meningococcal, etc.) so we didn't even really discuss them - I just said I wasn't interested. He has three small children, and I know he selectively/delays vaxing them.
I'm a nursing student and each year I have to have a tb test prior to school starting, and am supposed to get the flu shot in November. I tried to get out of it last year, but wasn't sure about how to get around it. This year I'm going to go to the health unit and talk to them - I want more info before just submitting to the shot.
I'm interested as well in talking about whether or not the tb test is necessary every year, and what the hell is in it exactly. is that even considered a vax?
The whole vax issue seems huge and intricate to me. I look forward to talking about it with everyone else.
ETA - Z was on prednisone (pediapred) for a year in order to control the growth of a hemangioma on her face. I'm not sure if that's relevant at all to the discussion at hand, but to me it was significant that she was on a steroid for so long at such a young age.