or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut in September
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Healing the Gut in September - Page 2

post #21 of 591

Its me, AmyD

Sigh. Good news and terrible news.

Well on the good news front, I started my older DS on reuteri for his loose poops. The results are phenomonal!! He is a normal boy after all. I plan to keep both of us on the diet for a long time, is there any problem w/that nutritionally speaking?

And the awful news.

It looks like my 21m old has a rare genetic disorder, MPS. We are very lucky though because it seems that he is on the very mild end of the spectrum. I'm thinking Schiele's or mild Hunter's. I'm going back and forth btw the two. His urine was sent out on Thursday to the U of Alabama to the top guy in the field to get more answers. We are seeing the geneticist on Wednesday, and the ENT on Thursday (to remove his adenoids and put ear tubes in). We are hoping to get this diagnosed ASAP so that he can start the enzyme therapy (once a week for life or until a cure).

On a side note, my lil' guy is much MUCH healthier than other MPS kids his age. I am attributing this 100% to his non-vax, non-crap (only SCD), and no antibiotic ever history. Because of all this, I know he is going to be okay.

Onwards to another journey.

Amy
post #22 of 591
Hi all. I posted back in June about having illeitis. I was throwing up, middle distended, bad belly pain. I got morphine in the ER and lots of tests. Then admitted for MORE tests. The tests are still going on- CT scans, MRI's.... So last night almosto EXACTLY the same thing happened as when I went to the ER, only I didn't go in. (I live with my mom and I asked her to take me in- when I could move!- and she said "you were there a long time last time" )

Anyway, it happened again last night. Has happened in years previous but not so close together. In fact, I think I had a couple more times like this between my ER visit and now. I get a stomach ache that gets a bit worse and a bit worse and eventually I end up all sweaty and chilled and curled up on the bathroom floor. I go from that to bare naked on the bathroom floor. Eventually I throw up several times and luckily this time I had diarrhea- usually I feel like everything is "stuck' and won't move which makes my heart rate soar and my belly even more distended. I didn'[t get to sleep until 6 a.m. Then I called the nurse because the clinic I go to is open Saturday mornings. She said I should've gone to the ER. And if my belly gets all distended again, to go. I'm on popsicles, flat pop, water and broth for now. I feel dehydrated and exhausted. If it was a certain food that does this, I'd avoid it.....
post #23 of 591
Jane- I literally woke up this morning thinking about that link. I'm just sick trying to figure all of this out and wondering if all this effort is in the wrong direction.
post #24 of 591
There is alot of validity to the acid alkaline theory. It is just almost never presented correctly. Your body has a very small range and doesn't vary it's pH level all that much. However it varies enough to cause problems. The way people usually talk about it is in terms of acid foods and alkaline foods. While foods will have one proerty or another, they will not necessarily push you in that direction. Lemons are very acidic, so much so that they will shock your bosy into alkalinity. So eating that particular acid fruit will not make you acidic.

Also different people metabolize things differently. This is somthing that I am just learning alot about. Meat supposedly makes your body acidic. That's not true for everyone. If you are a person who requires alot of fat and protein in your diet, meat will actually make you more alkaline. A person who can't handle (metabolically) much meat or fat will tend towards a more acidic body with the ingestion of meat. You most likely know you're type already (if you do better with a significant protein and fat source at every meal, or can go days without meat and feel fine on just veggies and fruits with some nuts and seeds) and knowing it you can actually test it. You can get inexpensive pH strips and take reading after eating different meals. I was very acidic and alkalinized after adding a large amount of meat and oil. I'm trying to get my friend who is a very different type than I am to do her readings as well. Problem is she'll NEVER eat meat to attempt it. But taking a reading will tell us regardless as she's been vegan for over 17 years. If she's eating her correct diet (which according to metabolic testing she is) she will be alkaline.

I think it has been dismissed as being invalid simply because everyone did react differently so it was a hard theory to put in a box if you weren't acknowledging people's individuality and specific needs. That's my take on it anyway.
post #25 of 591
Thread Starter 
Thanks firefairy, it helps. I still don't understand it though. I know Mercola is into metabolic typing while very much advocating protein/fat and low-carb, and WAPF is not. I tend to lean towards the WAPF view on most everything.
But also, the Bechamp "blood as the third element" theory is based on alkaline/acid balance, too. They talk about how these living units that are smaller than cells or "mycozymas" mutate according to the ph in the blood to form viruses, bacteria and eventually fungi.
I just don't know who to believe. I guess the proof of the pudding is eating it. I'll have to wait until I find what works for me and my kids.
But after reading that article, I'm scared now. I've been low-carbing for several months, and I'm afraid that after I get "cured" or I will think I'll be cured and go back to eating normal NT style the candida will come back with a vengeance. I don't want to eat low-carb forever!
post #26 of 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama
Sigh. Good news and terrible news.

Well on the good news front, I started my older DS on reuteri for his loose poops. The results are phenomonal!! He is a normal boy after all. I plan to keep both of us on the diet for a long time, is there any problem w/that nutritionally speaking?

And the awful news.

It looks like my 21m old has a rare genetic disorder, MPS. We are very lucky though because it seems that he is on the very mild end of the spectrum. I'm thinking Schiele's or mild Hunter's. I'm going back and forth btw the two. His urine was sent out on Thursday to the U of Alabama to the top guy in the field to get more answers. We are seeing the geneticist on Wednesday, and the ENT on Thursday (to remove his adenoids and put ear tubes in). We are hoping to get this diagnosed ASAP so that he can start the enzyme therapy (once a week for life or until a cure).

On a side note, my lil' guy is much MUCH healthier than other MPS kids his age. I am attributing this 100% to his non-vax, non-crap (only SCD), and no antibiotic ever history. Because of all this, I know he is going to be okay.

Onwards to another journey.

Amy
I want to send love to your family. It is so true that when it rains, it pours.
s

I saw Reuteri in capsules by Natures Way at the store yesterday. I have a 25 month old. Should I use 1 capsule a day (sprinkle it in his smoothie/yogurt)? Or do I need to find a chidrens formula? I was using Primadophilious powder ofr him in the past.

Thank you,
Jennifer
post #27 of 591
New here, hope someone can help. I posted this above, but someone suggested posting here too.

Dh was just diagnosed with Diverticulitis via a lower abdominal CT Scan. The doc says there is about 6 in. of intestines that are affected. He wants to do a colonoscopy in Oct., but told Dh that surgery is the only way to help him. We know enough to know that this may not be the case so wanted to try some dietary/supplement changes between now and the colonoscopy to try and improve things naturally. Any advice? Also other than not enough fiber what else causes diverticulitis? Dh eats more fiber than anyone I know, in fact we think the attack was brought on by eating too much. TIA
post #28 of 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Ok Jane, I'm now more confused than ever. : I want what that says to be true but I don't trust it. I feel terrible when I eat anything off this diet. Horrible stomach pains. I just don't know what to do anymore. :
Sounds like this feeling is going around It DOES make sense (and now I recall reading smething similar at the beginning of my diet) that you need to feed the good bacteria too. The thing I read at first said eat some carbs every 4-5 days (essentially one day a week) to feed the good bacteria. I had forgotten that. My discouragement is that preior to antibiotics which produced headache, bloat, and white tongue, I felt great. Since starting anticandida; no more headache or bloat, but rash on eyelid, mild vaginal irritation, ear pain, and NO CHANGE in the tongue. I didnt have chronic health issues, and now I feel like Im creating them! And then every recommendation for healing contradicts the last : I feel like alice in wonderland.
post #29 of 591
Thread Starter 
[ My discouragement is that preior to antibiotics which produced headache, bloat, and white tongue, I felt great. Since starting anticandida; no more headache or bloat, but rash on eyelid, mild vaginal irritation, ear pain, and NO CHANGE in the tongue. I didnt have chronic health issues, and now I feel like Im creating them! And then every recommendation for healing contradicts the last : I feel like alice in wonderland.[/QUOTE]

Small world- this is almost my case too.
post #30 of 591
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal
New here, hope someone can help. I posted this above, but someone suggested posting here too.

Dh was just diagnosed with Diverticulitis via a lower abdominal CT Scan. The doc says there is about 6 in. of intestines that are affected. He wants to do a colonoscopy in Oct., but told Dh that surgery is the only way to help him. We know enough to know that this may not be the case so wanted to try some dietary/supplement changes between now and the colonoscopy to try and improve things naturally. Any advice? Also other than not enough fiber what else causes diverticulitis? Dh eats more fiber than anyone I know, in fact we think the attack was brought on by eating too much. TIA
AHHHH...poor guy...
fiber is NOT your friend. It encourages the growth of pathogenic bacteria/yeast besides causing malapsorption of nutrients.
Read the cheatsheet if you have time.
You could try to put him on a very high fat diet. Cut the sugar, grains, fiber. I think div. is caused by bacterial or yeast overgrowth. Right, Jane?

Lots of probiotics -good bacteria, cod liver oil to supply vitamins A and D and good fats.
Other good fats: butter, egg yolks, real lard, coconut oil, e.v. olive oil, raw full fat dairy if you can find it.
Protein: always eat with some fat: chicken with skin, fish with butter, etc.
Keep non-starchy veggies and low-sugar fruits. These will provide enough fiber. But don't overdo them.
The SCD diet might be of great help.
post #31 of 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Jane- I literally woke up this morning thinking about that link. I'm just sick trying to figure all of this out and wondering if all this effort is in the wrong direction.
Tell me about it! I've been regrouping lately as well. She definitely made me see things differently. I keep thinking about DS' experiences with Biocidin: great at first, then regression. He had also been thru other herbal px'd by our previous dr. Maybe b/c other bad stuff just took up the empty place?

With respect to eating foods right now, it makes sense if the gut flora is currently messed up, just eating foods "off diet" .. whatever that diet may be ... is not going to work b/c it's feeding what bacterial flora is there. Right now I believe that just killing things doesn't work either. Without replacing a full range of gut flora. And kefir is the only thing with such a wide range in huge numbers.

I think also with respect to my DS and maybe other kids, is that they never had good gut flora balance to begin with. It's not like an adult on SCD which has a little bit left of good stuff to regrow. That's my theory on why it worked for me and not him. And of course I was stubborn for a while and *didn't* give up my kefir at first when I went SCD. Until I lost my taste for it and switched over to yogurt. But I was on my way to healing at that point. Makes you think, huh?

So... DS is starting kefir, wish us luck. We are also having our second appt with new DAN/AAEM doctor this week to review stool tests and I will request liver, RAST and amino testing.

General note for everyone:

Don't ever stop enzymes with your child for stool testing, things have been horrible for a month since we did that. Just finally getting back on track poop wise but sleeping is still a nightmare. I cannot believe how much of a difference they make for him.
post #32 of 591
Amy!!!



I can't believe how much is being thrown at you this year. :

Your little one is incredibly lucky to have you as his mama. Please keep us updated every step of the way... you know we are all behind you, sending our love and support.
post #33 of 591
Happy September. I've been working very hard and haven't been able to post much. I'll come up for air in October some time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant
nak
i think i may need to do the SCD. TMI allert ahead. lately i've been having pains in my belly and feels like i need to go to the washroom really bad. well i try and go and the only thing that comes out is this clear goopy stuff that looks like egg whites. its coming from my bum. any ideas?
Are you *sure* it's not coming from your vagina? It sounds like fertile cervical fluid.
post #34 of 591
firefaery -- Did you report on your reading?
post #35 of 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Success story on yeast from someone I know IRL:
I've been pondering this as well. My *gut* feeling about the anti-candida diet for these few weeks (at least for me and dd) has been to stay the course on what we're doing now (it's obviously working) and not to worry about eliminating certain fruits etc.

I'm continually frustrated by the different ideas about what the *right* anti-candida diet is. If there IS one that works, then why does everyone have a different idea about what it is?

At least the SCD is researched and proven.

Anyway, there was something about mercury in that article: If mercury is still in the body, it's pointless to try to eliminate candida because the gut flora will be messed up until the mercury is out. Paraphrasing here obviously but I've experienced the truth of this over the last couple of weeks. We're chelating dd and her poopies have been regular and formed ever since. This tells me chelation is working and is helping her gut!

So . .. I'm not worried about anti-candida right now. We've got other fish to fry. I may have to tackle it later down the road though and I'll be saving that link to guide me. It's the first common-sense thing I've read about candida.
post #36 of 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Happy September. I've been working very hard and haven't been able to post much. I'll come up for air in October some time.

Are you *sure* it's not coming from your vagina? It sounds like fertile cervical fluid.
Was going to ask the same question! Sometimes it's hard to tell but if you know your fertile time, there won't be any question.
post #37 of 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama
Sigh. Good news and terrible news.

Well on the good news front, I started my older DS on reuteri for his loose poops. The results are phenomonal!! He is a normal boy after all. I plan to keep both of us on the diet for a long time, is there any problem w/that nutritionally speaking?

And the awful news.

It looks like my 21m old has a rare genetic disorder, MPS. We are very lucky though because it seems that he is on the very mild end of the spectrum. I'm thinking Schiele's or mild Hunter's. I'm going back and forth btw the two. His urine was sent out on Thursday to the U of Alabama to the top guy in the field to get more answers. We are seeing the geneticist on Wednesday, and the ENT on Thursday (to remove his adenoids and put ear tubes in). We are hoping to get this diagnosed ASAP so that he can start the enzyme therapy (once a week for life or until a cure).

On a side note, my lil' guy is much MUCH healthier than other MPS kids his age. I am attributing this 100% to his non-vax, non-crap (only SCD), and no antibiotic ever history. Because of all this, I know he is going to be okay.

Onwards to another journey.

Amy
Kundalini!
post #38 of 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama
Sigh. Good news and terrible news.

Well on the good news front, I started my older DS on reuteri for his loose poops. The results are phenomonal!! He is a normal boy after all. I plan to keep both of us on the diet for a long time, is there any problem w/that nutritionally speaking?

Amy
Reuteri has been working wonders for dd1 too.
post #39 of 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
There is alot of validity to the acid alkaline theory. It is just almost never presented correctly. Your body has a very small range and doesn't vary it's pH level all that much. However it varies enough to cause problems. The way people usually talk about it is in terms of acid foods and alkaline foods. While foods will have one proerty or another, they will not necessarily push you in that direction. Lemons are very acidic, so much so that they will shock your bosy into alkalinity. So eating that particular acid fruit will not make you acidic.

Also different people metabolize things differently. This is somthing that I am just learning alot about. Meat supposedly makes your body acidic. That's not true for everyone. If you are a person who requires alot of fat and protein in your diet, meat will actually make you more alkaline. A person who can't handle (metabolically) much meat or fat will tend towards a more acidic body with the ingestion of meat. You most likely know you're type already (if you do better with a significant protein and fat source at every meal, or can go days without meat and feel fine on just veggies and fruits with some nuts and seeds) and knowing it you can actually test it. You can get inexpensive pH strips and take reading after eating different meals. I was very acidic and alkalinized after adding a large amount of meat and oil. I'm trying to get my friend who is a very different type than I am to do her readings as well. Problem is she'll NEVER eat meat to attempt it. But taking a reading will tell us regardless as she's been vegan for over 17 years. If she's eating her correct diet (which according to metabolic testing she is) she will be alkaline.

I think it has been dismissed as being invalid simply because everyone did react differently so it was a hard theory to put in a box if you weren't acknowledging people's individuality and specific needs. That's my take on it anyway.
Right. And this is what's so frustrating about it. Each person *has* to be different. How could there possibly be a one-size-fits-all cure?
post #40 of 591
I actually didn't report on my reading as I am busily trying to process what I have heard. There were many points about foods. One of the major ones was that I am not eating enough grains. She said that I am doing him a disservice and he isn't getting everything he needs from me. It's so fascinating because you don't give any info (at least I don't) and she had no way of knowing that I am grain free. She said bananas are particularly bad for him and that cocoa would be great, but in the afternoon or evening. Again, fascinating. How many people do you know ONLY eat chocolate in the morning? I eliminated my raw cacao already because he seemed to be reactive. According to my reading I can put it back, just not in my morning smoothie.

There was alot discussed about my health and diet. She said that I need more grains, less fruit and more meat and fat...but not dairy. Coconut oil is the best for me and she did say that I could do sheep and goat yogurt, but I'd sooner die I couldn't stand the smell when I gave it to ds. I have more healing to do. She also talked about my pituitary. Yikes. There was much discussion about probiotics (again, I don't tell her anything-I just ask her to read. The only thing I asked for was what my son is reacting to) and minerals. She recommended a supplement that I had never heard of. Again, still processing. I'll write more if anyone is interested...

As usual it was very worth it. Dh still thinks I'm a kook, but he can't argue with results and we've had plenty from her!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing the Gut in September