or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Fertility › Anyone losing weight in preparation for TTC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone losing weight in preparation for TTC? - Page 2

post #21 of 37
Ah, I need to join you ladies!

DH and I have been waiting a LOOOOOOONG time to TTC#1. We decided to wait until he finished grad school (which, along with his B.S., has totaled about nine years ... ugh) and started a job. This afforded me an opportunity to get healthier. I have lost about 60 pounds over the past two years (started at about 120 over my "ideal" weight, so I got about half way), but I got stuck and even gained a bit back over the past few months (long story, but a very stressful situation led me to turn to food : ).

Now, with DH just about done his Ph.D. and ready to start a job, I am scrambling to get some weight back off. I don't feel as if I need to try to drop the 60 that I never lost; I just want to exercise regularly and get off the few pounds I gained back this summer.

DH and I are going to the gym at least 3-4 times/week and are taking walks/hikes at least 2 times/week. My gym routine involves some weight training and 30-35 minutes on the elliptical or doing run/walk intervals on the treadmill.

I look forward to getting to know you ladies!
K
post #22 of 37
Nora'sMama, you mentioned Curves. When I was in physical therapy for my herniated disk last year, Curves was recommended by my therapist. He thought it was good stuff.

I hit 28lbs today! Finally! The first 20 lbs went so quickly. Seems like it's going SO slow now.
post #23 of 37

SparkPeople is a great way to lose weight

I second the person who recommended SparkPeople. I joined their free diet/exercise site back in April. I've lost about 15 pounds, and I love the friendly, supportive community there.

I would happily lose another 10 pounds, but we started TTC back in June. I'm already 10+ pounds lighter than I was when we conceived our DS a few years ago.

I'm 5'4", and my goal is to weigh the least I've ever weighed again (in college), which is 140. That will put me at the heavy end of normal, but I've spent most of my life just slightly into the overweight category, so I would be happy.

People hate to hear this, but dieting has been about 5% of what I've had to do to lose this weight. It's been 95% EXERCISE.

I went from being fairly sedentary (walking to get places several times per week) to doing an average of 4 cardio sessions per week of about 35 minutes duration each.

I learned a couple of important things:
1) Before I used a heart monitor, I was being lazy and not exercising as intensely as I reasonably could have been.
2) Being a Mommy meant that going to the gym was an escape from my son's time into MY OWN SELFISH, ADULT WORLD where I could, without any guilt, put my own need to be healthy first for a few hours each week.

Good luck to everyone. I'll stay on this list and hope to lose another few pounds this month unless--God willing--I get a BFP on Friday morning. I have high hopes--my BBs are sore the past couple of days (never happened to me before or since I was PG in 2003) *AND* I feel queasy.

--willo
post #24 of 37
Thread Starter 
Hi willo, Kristeremy, kheren!

I didn't do any other fast stroller workouts last week because I have been SO FREAKING TIRED...DD had roseola and is also teething and I just feel that I have not slept in forever (see my thread in Family Bed!).

But, I was reading a blog today and was reminded of something I had forgotten about...have you guys heard about the Shangri-La Diet? Supposedly it really works - is not a fad diet - but it's really weird, you drink OIL in the morning and somehow it helps you not want "bad" food?

I know, it sounds like a fad diet. But if you Google it you will find that it is actually based on sound principles. I am thinking I might try this. I cannot seem to do the sugar-free thing (even for 21 days - hanging head in shame) - I just have no willpower these days.
post #25 of 37

Don't fret, Nora's Mommy!

Instead of trying sugar-free, I am trying to limit my intake of "sweets" to 75 calories idea, per the Mayo Clinic A Healthy Weight for Everybody.
post #26 of 37
I am here!

Actually, this summer has been rough, with 2 miscarriages right in a row.
I still have some weight to lose from ds, but I have started drinking raw milk in the past year and getting pretty consitent with excersise, so I am sure the rest of it will come off in a matter of time. I have also started eating less sugar

So, for me, I know what makes me lose weight. But I haven't been doing it as much as I would like.
1.Running, like running 4 times a week or so(every other day or if I skip a day twice in a row lately)
2.yoga
3. Pilates.

So, I just try to be consistant.
I read on Dr. Mercola's website though the other day that he thinks you should have 90 minutes of cardio a day to lose weight. So, um, yeah........ I think I can do about half that everyday! Losing a little bit though has proved encouraging and since ds only nurses 2-3 times a day, my body seems to be okay with that.

i really like the pilates book I have for matwork. It is years old, but it is the Pilates Body by Brooke Siler. I also have the fat blasting yoga by Denise Austin. I find I need thigns that take up a certain amount of time and accomplish alot. I would love to find another video that I could do in a naptime.
post #27 of 37
try probiotics Or, if you are up for it, try making your own kefir.
I started making kefir after getting some of the grains from a local mama on this board. it really helps curb sugar cravings. It is basically a fernmented milk drink, and the good bacteria help balance out any damage from candida.
I joke with dh when I give the kids kefir-that it is my secret weapon to keep them craving good foods!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora'sMama View Post
Hi willo, Kristeremy, kheren!

I didn't do any other fast stroller workouts last week because I have been SO FREAKING TIRED...DD had roseola and is also teething and I just feel that I have not slept in forever (see my thread in Family Bed!).

But, I was reading a blog today and was reminded of something I had forgotten about...have you guys heard about the Shangri-La Diet? Supposedly it really works - is not a fad diet - but it's really weird, you drink OIL in the morning and somehow it helps you not want "bad" food?

I know, it sounds like a fad diet. But if you Google it you will find that it is actually based on sound principles. I am thinking I might try this. I cannot seem to do the sugar-free thing (even for 21 days - hanging head in shame) - I just have no willpower these days.
post #28 of 37
Count me in. It's so hard for me to admit that the primary reason we're not TTC right now is that my body isn't where I want it to be. That puts a lot of responsibility on me to lose weight, and to be honest, I don't like that responsibility.

I want to feel better and lose all of this junk I've gained through two pregnancies. (I probably have 60 pounds to lose. That is also very difficult for me to admit.) I'm still nursing our second who is 19 months and not showing any interest in weaning. So while I want to lose it fast, I want to guard the toxins that would get released into my milk, were I to detox/lose weight fast.

Just needing motivation here! (She types as she sits on the couch with her pajamas on in the middle of the day...)
post #29 of 37
Ooh, ooh, count me in! I'm doing the no-sugar, low-carb thing. I have lost about 15 lbs in the last month by eating heathly whole foods and by running. (Couch to 5K -- I'm only on week two, though ) I am hoping to loose another 20 by Xmas, but that might be too ambitious.
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone View Post
So while I want to lose it fast, I want to guard the toxins that would get released into my milk, were I to detox/lose weight fast.

Just needing motivation here! (She types as she sits on the couch with her pajamas on in the middle of the day...)
I hadn't considered that breastfeeding would be a reason to avoid losing weight due to toxins. Does anyone have more information about this?
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
I hadn't considered that breastfeeding would be a reason to avoid losing weight due to toxins. Does anyone have more information about this?
Well any time you lose fat, you unlock whatever is stored there. Good or bad. I will try to find the info I saw on it.
post #32 of 37
No research links right now, but basically, toxins are stored in body fat. That's why weight loss is so great for detoxing, in general. Just not-so-good for babies if you're nursing, hence my waiting to lose weight. I also happen to gain weight while breastfeeding (without eating more), instead of losing, so I'm kind of in a bad place.

I was pregnant with my second when my first was still nursing (20 months), then had another baby, and am still nursing (as I said above). That means almost four years and counting of breastfeeding/pregnancy, all bad times to lose weight. I know I've used that as an excuse at times, but when you come right down to it, I don't want to put my desire to be thin and healthy above my baby's right to cleaner food.

And yet, I do want get pregnant with another baby sometime in the next year. I suppose I need to continue to eat whole foods, and be patient.
post #33 of 37
Yoo hoo!? Anybody out there?
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone View Post
No research links right now, but basically, toxins are stored in body fat. That's why weight loss is so great for detoxing, in general. Just not-so-good for babies if you're nursing, hence my waiting to lose weight. I also happen to gain weight while breastfeeding (without eating more), instead of losing, so I'm kind of in a bad place.

I was pregnant with my second when my first was still nursing (20 months), then had another baby, and am still nursing (as I said above). That means almost four years and counting of breastfeeding/pregnancy, all bad times to lose weight. I know I've used that as an excuse at times, but when you come right down to it, I don't want to put my desire to be thin and healthy above my baby's right to cleaner food.

And yet, I do want get pregnant with another baby sometime in the next year. I suppose I need to continue to eat whole foods, and be patient.
So, are you suggesting that it's unhealthy to lose fat when breastfeeding? Almost all women I know who breastfeed have lost weight after the birth of their babies, if even only 15 pounds. As well, I don't understand what you mean that you eat the same amount of food, but gain weight? When your body is using an extra 500 or so calories a day to breastfeed? Is this some hormonal change that causes you to keep weight even when you eat less?
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed
So, are you suggesting that it's unhealthy to lose fat when breastfeeding?
No, I'm not. I personally think weight loss during breastfeeding is God's design.

What I do think is unhealthy is all the toxins that we are exposed to in so many ways (food, air, water), and how those toxins are stored in fat and released during weight loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed
I don't understand what you mean that you eat the same amount of food, but gain weight?
My evidence is largely anecdotal and experiential. My diet has not changed (and the quality and types of food I consume have even improved). Still, I gain weight with each nursling. I have been told by a couple of lactation consultants and a midwife that this happens to some women.

I'm certainly not an expert, but based on what I've read and experienced, those are the conclusions I've made. I'd love time to do more research, and would love to read any related research anyone has found.
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessmcg View Post
started Eat to Live on April 1, and lost 30 lbs in 3 months.
I told DH just last night that I'm unhappy with this weight creeping up and think we both needed to go back to the Eat to Live way of eating. I had marginal success last time, but he lost 15 lbs right away! Of course, that totally makes me want to TTC right now (or at least practice often )

So, add me to the "slimming down before getting round" tribe.

Leila... Some of my weight is from my last m/c.
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamerle View Post
I told DH just last night that I'm unhappy with this weight creeping up and think we both needed to go back to the Eat to Live way of eating. I had marginal success last time, but he lost 15 lbs right away! Of course, that totally makes me want to TTC right now (or at least practice often )

So, add me to the "slimming down before getting round" tribe.

Leila... Some of my weight is from my last m/c.
thanks

Yk, that is the frustrating part, it seems that my body has just been up and down, up and down! Ds has stopped nursing as much as well, and I have really felt a shift in my metabolism. And my hormones. I feel a lot more steady. With my decrease in appettite, maybe I can finally kick this old weight that is hanging on!

I think i have decided though, that i am just tired. I think I want to wait at least until next year to conceive again. And maybe, even longer. I just don't know anymore, yk? Also, we are clearing out a mold problem that has crept up in our main(bedroom) bathroom in our duplex we rent. I read that mold problems can cause miscarriage!It really seems to click and make sense. We have been having some other symptoms too, and not feeling our healthiest, so we are haviing our rental company rip up the linoleum and fix the mold/water damage, we had them repaint, we are getting a new shower door, getting floors cleaned, washing everything, etc. So hopefully our home will not be so sick afterwards. And I think after all that I am still tired
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fertility
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Fertility › Anyone losing weight in preparation for TTC?