or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Lactivism › What do you think of this comment?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you think of this comment? - Page 2

post #21 of 36
The AAP doesn't say children should be weaned at 1 year. What about getting the current AAP policy statement and showing him that. It would seem to be the easiest and most direct. Does the ACOG have a breastfeeding policy statement?

~amey
post #22 of 36
This thread covers the same question and has several references that prove you are right and he is wrong.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ht=global+goal
post #23 of 36
Our paediatrician's view: In third world countries, babies will DIE if they do not drink breastmilk for the first two years of life, because the water is not potable for an infant. The WHO therefore had no choice but to recommend the 2-year minimum.
post #24 of 36
Man, I've never heard anything but good comments when I tell docs (ER, clinic, ped, OB) that I'm nursing a 2 y.o.
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlp
Our paediatrician's view: In third world countries, babies will DIE if they do not drink breastmilk for the first two years of life, because the water is not potable for an infant. The WHO therefore had no choice but to recommend the 2-year minimum.
But that doesn't mean that babies in America deserve any less.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlp
Our paediatrician's view: In third world countries, babies will DIE if they do not drink breastmilk for the first two years of life, because the water is not potable for an infant. The WHO therefore had no choice but to recommend the 2-year minimum.
But the American Academy of Family Physicians says weaning at younger than two years increases the risk of illness to a child. (Link in my previous post, with other references.) So American children deserve to nurse into toddlerhood as well!

Not sure where you are from but other places like Canada and Australia have health organizations that repeat the WHO recommendations if I remember correctly. It's all at http://www.kellymom.com
post #27 of 36
How frustrating! My mama bear instinct would want to say something like, "and how many babies have you breastfed?". However, I agree that the previous suggestions would likely be more appropriate and fruitful .

I love to cite the illness that EBF has helped us through. Dehydration is not an everyday worry for us, but during a bad stomach virus it sure is.

I do hate that many pediatricians misunderstand the AAPs guidelines. They are supposed to ENCOURAGE Bf until 12 months, not encourage mothers to stop then. There is no mention of scheduled weaning by a certain age. Ugh!!!!
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlp
Our paediatrician's view: In third world countries, babies will DIE if they do not drink breastmilk for the first two years of life, because the water is not potable for an infant. The WHO therefore had no choice but to recommend the 2-year minimum.
tHEY could have made that recommendation for third world countries only, but they didn't because every baby benefits from 2 years of breastmilk. Canada and Australia recommend 2 years minimum too, and they aren't third world countries.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom
"You're not a pediatrician, I don't care what you say." Geez, if he wants to give an opinion about vaginas, okay, but who cares what an OB thinks about children's nutrition?
: I could care less what most OB's have to say on most subjects anyway...
post #30 of 36
Oh, and also...

my plan should ANYONE make comments about how long I bf my child:
"I didn't ask for your opinion, :"
post #31 of 36
The problem with dismissing what a future OB has to say about breastfeeding (or any HCP for that matter) -- is that while some people are comfortable ignoring advice from their doctors, and researching and making their own decisions - there are a LOT of people who will take what the Doctor says as absolute truth.

So an OB who thinks women shouldn't bf beyond a year, may compromise many bf relationships.

*Is s/he going to be supportive to a mother who is dealing with mastitis at 6 months, or is s/he going to say, "Oh, you're halfway there, it's OK to stop."

*Is s/he going to tell a mom who finds herself pregnant while still bf her child (whether said child is 10 months or 22 months) "You must wean immediately, your milk has no value for the child anyway at this point."

*Is s/he going to tell the mother to wean when she comes in for her annual check-up (about a year after birth), with similar patronizing and inaccurate comments about the WHO recommendations?

....
There are lots of times when the OB is the one the breastfeeding mother is talking to. My OB has been *wonderful* about me breastfeeding, and really supportive. It probably wouldn't have changed my decisions anyway, but there's a lot to be said for having an OB say to a mother:

*Well, of course you're making enough milk. We'll get this figured out. Are you seeing an LC (who are you working with)?

*Still breastfeeding after a year? That's great.

*[After a miscarriage] - Make sure your dd keeps nursing, that will help.

*When I let him know I was back on my Elimination Diet in hopes we don't deal with allergies with this incoming arrival, says, "Great mom!" instead of urging me to ff instead.

*Most recently (yesterday's 37 week appointment): "Is baby going to live with you and dh, or in a crib?" (and when told "with us," responds with a big thumbs-up and "That's great, it's what works best." I loved the "live with us" comment. What a description!

He's definitely pro-bf and while he's not always 100% informed (he's not an LC, after all) -- I think for any clients who are planning on bf, he's really supportive. It's nice to be able to tell the IL's that the OB and the Ped both agree about a treatment course (whether it's mastitis or allergies or etc.). It's nice to know that they don't think I'm a wacko. And, I do think that for mothers who are less informed and less supported in their breastfeeding, it could make or break a bf relationship.

I guess my hope/thought is that if the OP is able to address this again with the resident in question, he may come 'round to being more informed, more accepting, and possibly in a few years - an actual bf supporter. It's worth a shot, I think.
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn

They're the World Health Organization, not the Third World HO...


What she said.
post #33 of 36
Pretty new here. Usually reading. But on this I had to respond.

Just tell him, "Well, it's too bad your patients aren't even going to get third world health care from you." You may or may not want to add, "Loser." to the end of that sentence, but that's a matter of personal choice, IMHO. :

Any doctor who just talks out of his/her butt like that should just have their license yanked and should start practicing how to say, "Would you like fries with that?" with a smile on their face.

Good luck to you, having to work with him!

eva
post #34 of 36
how about..
Oh I am sorry.. maybe you could point me to the literature from the North American Health Orgainzation that states otherwise..

or

Funny i thought the *W* in WHO stood for world..

or

maybe it should be 3rdWHO.

or

How many days did you study breastfeeding in med school?.. or were you too hung over to listen than 15 mins?

or

BITE me
post #35 of 36
I like hawkfeather's suggestions!!
post #36 of 36
Some third world countries have better breastfeeding rates than the U.S. One reason might be because in those countries they don't have "health care" professionals handing out free formula.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Lactivism
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Lactivism › What do you think of this comment?